T Nation

Poliquins Tests for Weakness

Whats up folks.
I know that Charles Poliquin employs an extensive battery of tests with new clients to determine weaknesses.
My question is, does anyone know what theses tests are and what the correlations with specific weaknesses are?
I've also tried looking for articles on theses tests but had no luck. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

A friend of mine did these tests on a bunch of us for his internship…it uses a 4:1 biachromal bench press max and correlates it to a 4:1 preacher curl, a 60% (give or take) bench rep max…a number of others. I couldnt name all of them…just know the tests can be humbling.

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
A friend of mine did these tests on a bunch of us for his internship…it uses a 4:1 biachromal bench press max and correlates it to a 4:1 preacher curl, a 60% (give or take) bench rep max…a number of others. I couldnt name all of them…just know the tests can be humbling.[/quote]

Hey thanks.
Just wondering if you could remember any of the tests for the hamstrings and groin? (if there are any) as these are the areas I’m vulnerable to injuries.

None that i can recall…

I believe have the entire upper-body list somewhere, and if I recall, CP will only give out the lower body portion through one of the seminars that he does every so often.

I talked to my roomie and he said there are tests for the lower body, but it is a more advanced level and we werent getting that into it.

I don’t want to be a dick here but don’t you think he keeps those pretty close to his chest?

He might not but I would imagine he shows them or tells them only in seminars like Dominator said or only in personal training.

Then again, he might be totally open about those.

I appreciate the replies, but man I’d love to see those lower body tests some day

I am sure if you talk to a physical therapist they could give you some of the same tests and show you how to correct your muscle imbalances.

worrying about muscle imbalance is for pussies! If it aint broke, keep pressin til it is.

haha that’s the spirit upchucker!
i never worry about muscle imbalances…fuck when you start analyzing the shit outta eveything you just make yourself feel like garbage mentally and aren’t confident with your program and that’s no good.

if you bench a lot…make sure you do a lot of rowing work.

have an equal balance of scapula depresion, elevation, retraction. look up Eric Cressey for that one.

make balance between quads and hams. get some good lower back work in, train your abs.
just make it complete.

then kill it!!!

I didn’t untill I tore my MCL last weekend and on monday at my first physical therapy session I realized how weak nad neglected some muscles in my legs are so now once I am able to I will work on these muscles as I rehabiltate and get back on the footy pitch. That’s Australian rules football!

If you are active you are going to get effed up sooner or later. My left knee has been jacked up several times, they just patch me up and I get my ass back in the squat rack.

[quote]UpChucker wrote:
If you are active you are going to get effed up sooner or later. My left knee has been jacked up several times, they just patch me up and I get my ass back in the squat rack.[/quote]

Horrible way to think. Whether you are going to get “effed up sooner or later” is debatable in itself and keeping yourself structurally balanced will help prevent any injuries. Many physically active people and athletes avoid serious injuries over the span of their endeavors.

As far as becoming balanced, I don’t know what poliquin prescribes, but am fairly familiar with many of his principles, and I believe it varies widely depending on the goal. A good start would be to work on a 1:1 relationship between traditional deadlifts ( bar weight ) and squats ( 75% bw + bar weight ). The overhead squat is also a good tool to test for imbalances. If knees wobble, you bend too far forward, can’t squat low enough, or if the bar moves too far forward, there is a problem. Info is easy to find on how to correct these.

Hope this helps OP

biggun7997 wrote:
I didn’t untill I tore my MCL last weekend and on monday at my first physical therapy session I realized how weak nad neglected some muscles in my legs are so now once I am able to I will work on these muscles as I rehabiltate and get back on the footy pitch. That’s Australian rules football!