Poliquin's Pre Workout Nutrition

I know mostly that poliquin likes Low carbs prior to working out, but does anyone know if poliquin has gotten on the PRE WORKOUT shake bandwagon?

Maybe he’ll answer that this month. Or if you know what he is saying I would very much like to know.

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
I know mostly that poliquin likes Low carbs prior to working out, but does anyone know if poliquin has gotten on the PRE WORKOUT shake bandwagon?

Maybe he’ll answer that this month. Or if you know what he is saying I would very much like to know.[/quote]

Last I heard he only gave workout shakes to his lean athletes (under 10% bf). If you’re over ten he gives them a boat load of glutamine post workout for the insulin response. I’m not sure if I saw that in an article here or elsewhere.

Yes I know he like glutamine whey plus glycine pwo.

But I was curious about PRE WORKOUT. I was curious if he was still following the preparing for the ultimate workout protocol? Or is he recommending surge or something pre workout?

I will quote directly from a recent Charles Poliquin biosignature seminar:
Charle’s reply when asked what he thought of the current trend of pre workout shakes:

“Have you seen the guy who initially recommended that. He’s a fat F$#@, no wonder he recommends it - he wants everyone to be fat like him.”

I think that sums up Charle’s thoughts on pre-workout nutrition and the type of person he is in one go.

HA HA HA , i haven’t laughed like that for so LONG. Thanks,

Im glad to see he hasn’t changed his views since I took a seminar in 2000.

Im really glad that he didn’t fall into the PRE WORKOUT drink trend.

but on a side note , DOES that mean John Berardi is FAT? I know he thinks candy BARR is.

but on a side note , DOES that mean John Berardi is FAT? I know he thinks candy BARR is. [/quote]

I think he was referring to Barr when he was talking about who started recommending the pre-workout shakes. JB has mainly said 1 serving during and 1 serving after exercise.

[quote]canon wrote:
Charle’s reply when asked what he thought of the current trend of pre workout shakes:

“Have you seen the guy who initially recommended that. He’s a fat F$#@, no wonder he recommends it - he wants everyone to be fat like him.”

I think that sums up Charle’s thoughts on pre-workout nutrition and the type of person he is in one go.
[/quote]

I don’t find this to be accurate at all.

I’ve seen Charles train his clients and he tailors things like this based on their needs. Not a one-size-fits-all program.

[quote]Mod Brian wrote:
canon wrote:

I don’t find this to be accurate at all.

I’ve seen Charles train his clients and he tailors things like this based on their needs. Not a one-size-fits-all program.[/quote]

Bingo! Everyone is different. One thing you can’t deny is that protein should be consumed pre-workout. Whether it be whey, casein, chicken, or steak, protein in any form is better than no protein at all.

If I remember correctly he reckons if your over 10%bf your fat. Also while he, like all good trainers, tailors things to suit the client, the question addressed to him would have been general and therefore his response was general.

HA HA HA , i haven’t laughed like that for so LONG. Thanks,

Im glad to see he hasn’t changed his views since I took a seminar in 2000.

Im really glad that he didn’t fall into the PRE WORKOUT drink trend.

but on a side note , DOES that mean John Berardi is FAT? I know he thinks candy BARR is. [/quote]

The only way to know if it works FOR YOU is to try it — if your abs disappear, stop doing it.

No matter; I tried it and I get very nauseaous if I drink a shake before or during. Had to stop.

The only thing to take before a workout (IMHO) is a couple of Spike tablets.

Check my pics in my profile and see for yourself if I’m “fat”.

I was disappointed when I tried to have a conversation with CP about all of this and he could only reply with insults. It’s “discussions” like that that make TC want to close the forum. You expect replies like that from trolls, but not a “professional”.

Considering his reputation, I should have known better than to help him in his time of need.

[quote]David Barr wrote:

I was disappointed when I tried to have a conversation with CP about all of this and he could only reply with insults. It’s “discussions” like that that make TC want to close the forum. You expect replies like that from trolls, but not a “professional”.

Considering his reputation, I should have known better than to help him in his time of need.[/quote]

DB,

I remember a couple of months back that you stated that even for fat loss, you should eat something small, or drink a whey protein shake. I have followed this advice and it has helped me out greatly.

I used to work out in the morning on an empty stomach, but that didn’t last very long. It gives me the boost I need to work out in the morning.

By the way, you’re not fat. 'Preciate the advice. I am sticking with it, pre-workout nutrition is necessary, at least for me while I’m trying to lose fat.

You da man Dave!!!

[quote]David Barr wrote:

Considering his reputation, I should have known better than to help him in his time of need.[/quote]

I fully agree with you Dave. CP is very dogmatic and in my opinion, way too arrogant. I personally have had great success with your protocol and I respect the science behind it as well, as quoted by you. He did not give any reason as to why it was not appropriate, he just insulted you. Regardless, what he said was completely uncessary and unprofessional.

I was impressed by CP’s level of knowlege, but really struggled with him as a person. The way he made fun of prominent people in the nutrition and strength training world was absolutely unecessary.

What do you mean by his time of need Dave?

[quote]David Barr wrote:
[/quote]

Sick ride! What kind of car is that?

Personally, I think Poliquin’s views make sense but are too extreme. I lean out just fine with Surge and even modified Double Surge. Make it to around 10%. But I do agree that shakes should be scrapped when seeking to get REALLY lean.

It’s rare that I care about getting into the single digits, but I’ve struggled to do so with shakes. I’ll swap them for a boatload of BCAAS preworkout and either BCAAs post-workout with a meal very soon after or BCAAs with some whey isolate [and possibly some glutamine and glycine]and then a meal a little while later.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Personally, I think Poliquin’s views make sense but are too extreme. I lean out just fine with Surge and even modified Double Surge. Make it to around 10%. But I do agree that shakes should be scrapped when seeking to get REALLY lean.

It’s rare that I care about getting into the single digits, but I’ve struggled to do so with shakes. I’ll swap them for a boatload of BCAAS preworkout and either BCAAs post-workout with a meal very soon after or BCAAs with some whey isolate [and possibly some glutamine and glycine]and then a meal a little while later.[/quote]
Even carb-free shakes?

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:
jsbrook wrote:

It’s rare that I care about getting into the single digits, but I’ve struggled to do so with shakes. I’ll swap them for a boatload of BCAAS preworkout and either BCAAs post-workout with a meal very soon after or BCAAs with some whey isolate [and possibly some glutamine and glycine]and then a meal a little while later.
Even carb-free shakes?
[/quote]

No. Whey isolate would constiute a carb-free shake.

[quote]tpa wrote:
David Barr wrote:

Sick ride! What kind of car is that?[/quote]

I think it’s a Bentley!!! Dave is a pimp!!

O and can we petition HIM to address this question on his next Question of Strength.