Poliquin's Pearls of Wisdom

Further Points:

-In regards to fasted cardio or semi-fasted morning cardio, Poliquin doesn’t agree with either of them. We’re made to throw a rock at the rabbit, not to chase it. We’re basically anaerobic animals. The quickest way to get lean is through diet.

If you look in the world of sports, triathletes and marathon runners have body fat percentages ranging from between 11 and 14%. Four-hundred to 800 meter runners have body fat between 4 and 6%. Exercise intensity is the key, not duration. Take a picture of all the fat cows on the bikes at Gold’s or World Gym. Go back next year and compare: they’re all still fat or more likely: fatter!

The problem with exercise physiology is that many people look at the world through a straw. If you look at the fuel burned during exercise that’s one thing, but you also have to look at the fuel burned to recover from exercise. That’s where most people screw up. All morning cardio does is fatigue the adrenal glands.

-People that crave sugar may be lacking from enough total calories in their diet or they may not have enough fat in their diet. It is also possible for people to be suffering from a fungal infection or gluten intolerance. One recommendation to help the cravings is to mix glutamine in water any time you feel the cravings come on. You can get glutamine at any nutrition store. Mix a tablespoon in a glass of water and drink

-When consuming meat it is important to only eat 100% grassfed meat. It is important to differentiate organic meat versus grassfed. Organic may not always be grassfed. By consuming grassfed meat you will avoid all of the hormones and antibiotics. You will also ingest a better ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Most industrial animal feed raises the levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which negatively affects our health. It is important to consume as much omega-3�??s as possible.

-Do not eat soy at all unless it is tempeh, miso, or edamame. It is extremely important to only eat fermented soy products. Non-fermented soy has adverse affects on the thyroid gland, which can cause lots of serious diseases. One ingredient to be aware of is soy protein isolate. Julie stated that she has seen many instances of soy protein isolate consumption causing women�??s hair to fall out. Soy milk has 20 times more manganese than breast milk. High levels of manganese in children have been linked to A.D.D. For more information read �??The Whole Soy Story�?? by Dr. Kaayla Daniel.

-Salt should only be consumed if there is color to it. Salt should be grey, beige, or pink. Traditional table salt, being white, has been stripped of all its minerals. They claimed that table salt was pretty much poison. Consuming a product like Celtic Sea Salt is much better for you.

-As I have stated many times, high fructose corn syrup is one of the worst things you can ingest. It has been linked to negatively affecting eyesight among many other things. As the incidence of high fructose corn syrup increased in American�??s diets so did the level of obesity and disease.

-When selecting a whey protein make sure that it has a high immunoglobin content and that the container says �??low heat treated.�?? Otherwise you are getting a low quality whey protein. They also recommend rotating the protein powders you use to avoid building a sensitivity. One recommended brand was Whey Stronger.

-A good source of omega-3 fatty acids is flax seed. It is better to get the milled seeds than the oil. Either way make sure to refrigerate upon opening. Flax seed can help lower the amount of estrogen-16 in women�??s bodies. Estrogen-16 causes fat storage in the hips and thighs among other things.
People whose body fat is stored in the belly have too high levels of stress hormone. One cause of high levels of stress hormone is too much steady state cardio.

-A good post-workout shake should be consumed immediately after finishing exercising. An ideal drink for someone who is relatively lean would use one part whey concentrate to four parts maltodextrin or some form of carbohydrate. If you have a higher body fat percentage, use more protein.
An interesting issue was that eating eggs everyday is bad. Ideally always eat free range eggs, but even doing that everyday can lead to an egg sensitivity. They recommend eating eggs every few days.
The most important supplements to take.

-Fish oil is a healthy source of omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oil has been shown to decrease inflammation and increase brain function. Charles also claimed that the consumption of fish oil has been linked to helping every known disease in history. When selecting a fish oil make sure it is medical grade and that it comes in a dark bottle. They also recommend varying the brands of fish oil you consume to avoid building a tolerance. Fish oil must be refrigerated after opening.

-A good multivitamin will help meet nutritional deficiencies. In order to find a good multi look at the kind of magnesium in the vitamin. If it is magnesium oxide the vitamin is worthless. Also, the manganese content should be as low as possible, with less than 5-7 grams per day.

-They also recommend consuming a good green drink a day. A green drink is a combination of lots of healthy vegetables in a powdered form that when added to water makes a healthy drink. Recommended brands were Paleogreen or Green�??s First.

The top five supplements for fat loss
Fish oil
Magnesium
Multivitamin
CLA or Conjugated Linoleic Acid
Green Drink

That is a brief explanation of all that was covered at the seminar. The overall message was, eat whole, unprocessed foods that are best for you individually. That means finding out what your nutritional needs are, whether you try using metabolic typing or personally visiting Dr. Bruce Fong at Sierra Integrative Medical Center. They said that the upcoming trends in nutrition will be the increasing individual evaluation of nutritional needs and that food will be viewed as medicine when used properly. Interesting food for thought

[quote]Rocky101 wrote:
What is DIM?[/quote]

DIM improves estrogen metabolism… it decreases the level of bad estrogens and increase the level of good estrogens.

[quote]300andabove wrote:

-When selecting a whey protein make sure that it has a high immunoglobin content and that the container says �??low heat treated.�?? Otherwise you are getting a low quality whey protein. They also recommend rotating the protein powders you use to avoid building a sensitivity. One recommended brand was Whey Stronger.

[/quote]

I’m not totally sold on Charles’ $60/lb whey either. I realize it’s important to find cold filtered whey, but there are a lot of great options out there that are a lot more economical. (Metabolic Drive, Bomber Blend, etc)

[quote]etaco wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
etaco wrote:
You can try almond butter if you’re concerned about the aflatoxins in PB. I think it’s of less concern with tree nuts in general.

And almond butter is only like $7/jar!

I like Charles a lot, but he splits a lot of hairs in my opinion.

It’s not too ridiculous at costco from what I recall. Decent peanut butter (ie PB not cut with hydrogenated poo and other assorted cheap crap) isn’t so cheap either.[/quote]

I really wish I had a Costco out here. The best price I can find is at Target which was like $6 for 8 oz. I can get 12oz of the Smart Balance natty PB with Flax oil for $2.89.

Has anyone tried making nut butters at home? I was thinking a walnut/almond butter would be pretty good. Food processor on pulverize? Or is there another trick?

http://www.higher-endeavors.com/blog/2007/01/26/poliquin-and-burns-seminar/

mmw this read raised my cortisol levels

Ok, but sometimes you are at a threshold for lowering calories and it’s always advocated to increase amount of physical activity BEFORE lowering calories further.

I think the quickest way to achieve better BODY COMPOSITION would be to have as high a frequency of activity as possible in a 24 hour period to maximize the windows of highest insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning capacity of the body and consuming the majority of daily calories in these PWO windows.

Of course, I have less experience than Poliquin in such matters, so what do I know?

Assuming they’ve always had the same shitty diet? Absolutely possible. And if these are the same folks you ALWAYS see on cardio equipment, there for long durations, chances are they don’t know the benefits of weight training and are fed the same degree of misinformation (or suffer from the same ignorance of) regarding nutrition.

Same with the marathon runners vs sprinters. I’d like to see a normalization of diet between the two groups of athletes before accepting such a statement.

Now, what if marathon runners consumed the appropriate number of calories, split into the most ideal macros to keep them as anabolic - since the sprinters will supposedly be in greater general anabolism because of higher impact, more HGH/IGF-1 - as possible. How would their long term body composition change? Surely, two different athletes exerting totally different levels of effort should be eating differently.

Interesting stuff anyway. Cool thread.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
300andabove wrote:

I’m not totally sold on Charles’ $60/lb whey either. I realize it’s important to find cold filtered whey, but there are a lot of great options out there that are a lot more economical. (Metabolic Drive, Bomber Blend, etc)

[/quote]

$60/lb ? freaking ridiculous…

Cross-Flow Microfiltration Whey Isolate, or Whey Concentrate should both have all of the fragile immunoglobulins intact.

I guess that begs the question, though…

Is your protein REALLY the type it claims to be?

Also, no more megadosing, 30-40g per day, fish oil?

I want to hear more about nootropic research.

Actually, TC should run a Roundtable article with some of most experienced members from the Brain Function Boosters thread leading the discussion.

That would be wicked.

And I thought CT said that Poliquin said most krill oil is rancid or worthless? I keep seeing ‘Poliquin’ go back and forth on this recommendation. I don’t even know where the hell to find it in stores, must only be available online.

I wonder how 30-40g fish oil per day affects blood viscosity in the long run, and hence vascularity.

And NewD, you don’t need any of that shit, man. You’re pulling 700 on deads if I recall! If I ever need to replace one of the rear tires on my Infiniti, I’ll let you know.

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
I want to hear more about nootropic research.

Actually, TC should run a Roundtable article with some of most experienced members from the Brain Function Boosters thread leading the discussion.

That would be wicked.

And I thought CT said that Poliquin said most krill oil is rancid or worthless? I keep seeing ‘Poliquin’ go back and forth on this recommendation. I don’t even know where the hell to find it in stores, must only be available online.

I wonder how 30-40g fish oil per day affects blood viscosity in the long run, and hence vascularity.

And NewD, you don’t need any of that shit, man. You’re pulling 700 on deads if I recall![/quote]

Maybe I’m pulling (close to) 700 BECAUSE of that shit ? :wink: But yeah really nowhere near 700 yet. One day though.

I actually have been using a ton of fish oil for a while - though I have reduced my dose recently.

As far as the krill oil, I think the most recent snippet of information regarding that was due to a huge increase in demand, most krill oil is low quality now, and fish oil is the better recommendation.

As far as the effects of fish oil…Fish oil reduces platelet aggregation. I don’t think vascularity will be affected. However, I do have a hunch that one could overdo the fish oil, resulting in an overabundance of omega-3 in relation to omega-6, especially if one were megadosing while reducing their intake of omega-6.

I think David Barr claims to have done this in the past. I’d like to hear his thoughts on this and what effects he had.

My friend’s father in law was taking 8-12g fish oil a day for about a month, when he experienced a VERY painful ringing in his ear. It would last the whole day, every day.

He goes to the doctor and the doctor asks him if he is taking fish oil. He says yes, is told to drop it altogether, and the ringing goes away within a few days. Weird.

I do think it could be unhealthy for people on certain long term meds, though, especially stuff that affects clotting function. I wish these disclaimers would be more prevalent in articles and recommondations for certain foods/supplements. It is definitely an issue for some people, and simply saying, “Consult with your physician first” while simultaneously drilling home the point that most doctors and nutritionists don’t know shit, seems contradictory and irresponsible. Not that that’s what is happening, but that would be my opinion if it were.

I know that magnesium in high doses has a laxative affect , as does vitamin C. Calcium has a constipatory (sp) affect. Stuff like that. The balance of mineral/vitamin intake is rarely discussed, and that is unfortunate.

I’d also like to see more stuff like that article on inflammation that Berardi had on here. That was one of the most applicable bundles of knowledge. I requested TC to have Berardi do a similar article on foods/supps/minerals that afffect sleep, another on mood.

For instance, in my culture, we use milk thistle for liver cleansing. Only recently have I seen it mentioned and I believe it was in the context of PCT. That’s great, though. I also know that we believe in Humoral Theory in regards to food combinations. Many old school cultures do, and it is usually the basis for the most classic pairings like melon and prosciutto.

That nausea induced by the glycine/glutamine? I believe we’d say that is classified as a ‘warm’ food, and must be balanced out with a ‘cold’ food (such as something citrus) to offset the nausea. If you still experience this, try it out.

Good stuff OP, thanks for sharing.

anything over 10% BF is fat? yeah… ok

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
anything over 10% BF is fat? yeah… ok[/quote]

Yeah, that seemed particularly egregious

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
anything over 10% BF is fat? yeah… ok[/quote]

Serially. I want to know what his BF is on average and also what his Biosig practitioners and Performance Center trainers walk around at.

I hope TC runs the First Person article on CP’s routine like I requested.

I am in awe of CP just like everyone else. I will say though as someone that’s trying to soak up as much information he can to help better himself, Charles makes my head hurt.

jehovasfitness wrote:
anything over 10% BF is fat? yeah… ok

Serially. I want to know what his BF is on average and also what his Biosig practitioners and Performance Center trainers walk around at.

I hope TC runs the First Person article on CP’s routine like I requested.[/quote]

I would highly doubt CP has the time to do a 1st person :slight_smile:

His time is a premium service at this stage in his career.

And he sits at 6-7% year round apparently, like CT he has to keep up appearances.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
300andabove wrote:

$60/lb ? freaking ridiculous…

Cross-Flow Microfiltration Whey Isolate, or Whey Concentrate should both have all of the fragile immunoglobulins intact.

I guess that begs the question, though…

Is your protein REALLY the type it claims to be?

Also, no more megadosing, 30-40g per day, fish oil?[/quote]

My bad, it’s actually $69 for about 2lbs(damn you metric system!).

I don’t care how fantastically pure his whey is, for that price it ought to be laced with d-bol and crack.

I think the quickest way to achieve better BODY COMPOSITION would be to have as high a frequency of activity as possible in a 24 hour period to maximize the windows of highest insulin sensitivity and nutrient partitioning capacity of the body and consuming the majority of daily calories in these PWO windows.
[/quote]

I think what you said right here is SPOT on. That is why I always try to train twice and eat my two biggest meals twice afterwards. When I set it up like this, it is very easy for me to get lean without having to be too anal about food particulars.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:

I think what you said right here is SPOT on. That is why I always try to train twice and eat my two biggest meals twice afterwards. When I set it up like this, it is very easy for me to get lean without having to be too anal about food particulars.
[/quote]

Do you mean you train twice a day, each time having two PWO meals high in calories (for a total of 4 meals for that day…2 PWO meals * 2 workouts) ?

That’s how I read it, anyway. And yes, I think I will start using this protocol.