Poliquin's Mega Dose Fish Oil

[quote]Tokendude wrote:
BTW, I’m one of those freak heart patients, as I’ve posted previously. Never smoked, never had diabetes, never been excessively overweight, ran cross country in High School, ran regularly ~5 miles/day up until about age 30 when work became too demanding, never had high cholesterol, etc., etc.
[/quote]

Your history of excessive cardiovascular activity is a big red flag, not a mitigating factor. I’ve seen emerging information which suggests that, beyond a certain threshold, additional cardiovascular activity does not strengthen the heart anymore; it simply inflames the tissue. Sort of like localized overtraining for the heart. That might be the first thing I’d consider.

how does taking in all this Omega 3s effect the overall Omega 3-6-9 ratio that is supposed to be in balance?

Do I have to make up the difference with Omega 6 and 9 as well when adding more Fish oils?

[quote]eic wrote:
Tokendude wrote:
BTW, I’m one of those freak heart patients, as I’ve posted previously. Never smoked, never had diabetes, never been excessively overweight, ran cross country in High School, ran regularly ~5 miles/day up until about age 30 when work became too demanding, never had high cholesterol, etc., etc.

Your history of excessive cardiovascular activity is a big red flag, not a mitigating factor. I’ve seen emerging information which suggests that, beyond a certain threshold, additional cardiovascular activity does not strengthen the heart anymore; it simply inflames the tissue. Sort of like localized overtraining for the heart. That might be the first thing I’d consider. [/quote]

Pretty unlikely. When they’ve isolated confounds like poor diet out, the incidence of heart disease in endurance athletes is EXTREMELY low.

The HDL is a concern though. Whatever the pro-cholesterol people say, people with low HDL commonly have heart problems, whether or not they have high LDL. Fish oil is great for HDL. It really helps raise it. So do walnuts and other sources of polyunsaturated fat.

I didn’t want to derail this very interesting thread with a parallel discussion, so I’ve created a new one:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1511056

I link to an article whose basic premise is: Polyunsaturated fats (especially omega-6) promote cancer.

I’d like to hear people’s opinions on this.

[quote]EQTTRDR wrote:
how does taking in all this Omega 3s effect the overall Omega 3-6-9 ratio that is supposed to be in balance?

Do I have to make up the difference with Omega 6 and 9 as well when adding more Fish oils?

[/quote]

If the fish oil is the only fat that you are getting in your diet, then it would give you problems. I wouldn’t worry to much as long as you are getting other types of fat in your daily diet. Remember this is supposed to be a short term thing (max is 8 weeks) and was designed to (in part) help correct any imbalance, which Mr. Poliquin says most everyone in the U.S. has.

[quote]solidgk wrote:
Tokendude wrote: I looked at the lower and upper limits CP suggested, which is:

EPA: 5400 - 8100 mg
DHA: 3600 - 5400 mg

This is for daily, LONG TERM use? This equates to about 40gm of Carlson’s fish oil daily… Would’nt this high an amount be unhealthy?
[/quote]

Long term use? No it’s only supposed to be short term use, approximately 2 months maximum. Then you cut back to about half. Even then the only way that I can think of for that to be unhealthy would be if you’re not getting enough of the other types of fat. That and getting to many calories.

[quote]Vyapada wrote:
When taking doses this high does anyone notice decreased clotting or immune system function?[/quote]

Well, I did notice some problems with nosebleeds, but took some extra vitamin K and it seems to be working. My immune system seems to be working properly as well. Some peoples mileage may very though.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
eic wrote:
Tokendude wrote:

Your history of excessive cardiovascular activity is a big red flag, not a mitigating factor. I’ve seen emerging information which suggests that, beyond a certain threshold, additional cardiovascular activity does not strengthen the heart anymore; it simply inflames the tissue. Sort of like localized overtraining for the heart. That might be the first thing I’d consider.

Pretty unlikely. When they’ve isolated confounds like poor diet out, the incidence of heart disease in endurance athletes is EXTREMELY low.

The HDL is a concern though. Whatever the pro-cholesterol people say, people with low HDL commonly have heart problems, whether or not they have high LDL. Fish oil is great for HDL. It really helps raise it. So do walnuts and other sources of polyunsaturated fat.[/quote]

I got pissed when getting regular cardio, eating clean, and taking a lot of fish oil and my HDL actually went down a little. My LDL and triglycerides went down significantly, so it is not supervising that in theory my HDL went down some also. My HDL is only in the 30s. I was hoping to actually raise my HDL.

I then did more research on fish oil and it seems there are many studies with strong evidence for fish oil lowering LDL and triglycerides. The studies also show fish oil did nothing for HDL. So I guess my results help to support their findings.

For almost everyone exercise and diet significantly lowers LDL. For many in also raises HDL significantly and for some it does little to nothing.

I have concluded that if I want to increase my HDL I may try: curcumin, and a daily glass of OJ or Concord grape juice. The juice may raise LDL and triglycerides slightly but I like the trade off if it works. I am not going to take Niacin at this point. I like red wine and a glass a day would most likely help, but I still feel that the cons outweigh the pros for justifying drinking alcohol daily. I may change my mind if my HDL still does not budge next time. I have a large family and their history is actually pretty clean for the most part for heart disease. The exception is a grandfather that died in late 50s from a heart attack (he was heavy smoker and drinker).

Unfortunately HDL is the stronger genetic component and the one harder to change through lifestyle or drugs also.

Sorry to get off topic. If my HDL ever goes up I will post my results.

i would like a roundtable on high doses of fish oil

Any suggestions on particular brands or places to buy? I wish I could say I’m a poor college student, now I’m just poor. Any cheap brands out there that will do the job?

[quote]TheTank123 wrote:
Any suggestions on particular brands or places to buy? I wish I could say I’m a poor college student, now I’m just poor. Any cheap brands out there that will do the job?[/quote]

Do your homework son. If you read the original thread (which is linked in this thread) I tell you where you can get liquid 8 oz bottles for like 6 bucks a pop.

I’ve completed 7 days so far taking in at least:

7,440 mg DHA
3,600 mg EPA

I say at least because I had to supplement with a third fish oil a couple of doses when I forgot my Flameout/fish oil combo and the third supplement had different ratios. On those days, the DHA remained at least 7,440 but the EPA went over 4,000mg. I’m also taking at least 800 I.U. of vitamin E daily.

I’ve found that since I take 24 capsules daily it’s easy to break down into 4 doses of 6. I tried 6 doses of 4 initially, but that didn’t fit my daily schedule because of needing to keep the capsules refrigerated.

As others have noted, there’s no noticeable difference the first week. The first couple of days I experienced a little bloating, and I’ve also found that overeating causing a little discomfort as my total food intake has declined slightly. Otherwise no other differences. No excessive bowel movements, no strong fish odor (according to my wife).

I’ll post another update after week 2.

TD

[quote]Tokendude wrote:
I’ve completed 7 days so far taking in at least:

7,440 mg DHA
3,600 mg EPA

I say at least because I had to supplement with a third fish oil a couple of doses when I forgot my Flameout/fish oil combo and the third supplement had different ratios. On those days, the DHA remained at least 7,440 but the EPA went over 4,000mg. I’m also taking at least 800 I.U. of vitamin E daily.

I’ve found that since I take 24 capsules daily it’s easy to break down into 4 doses of 6. I tried 6 doses of 4 initially, but that didn’t fit my daily schedule because of needing to keep the capsules refrigerated.

As others have noted, there’s no noticeable difference the first week. The first couple of days I experienced a little bloating, and I’ve also found that overeating causing a little discomfort as my total food intake has declined slightly. Otherwise no other differences. No excessive bowel movements, no strong fish odor (according to my wife).

I’ll post another update after week 2.

TD[/quote]

Thanks for the update! I’m curious to see if/what you notice.

I have been shooting for 24 a day for the last week. I can honestly say that while on the V Diet, this has significantly helped my mood. I just feel so much better. The one down fall is that when you take 8 “softgels” 3x a day with only shakes as meals, some comes out the other end. Sorry to be graphic but the more spread out the better, at least digestion-wise for me.

where could I find Carsons liquid fish oil?

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Use liquid instead of caps & its a hell of a lot easier to get 30-45g.

CW recommends 4 caps Flameout & 2 tablespoons carsons liquid fish oil p/day[/quote]

Cheaper to. Also i dont get fish oil burps form it.

Amazon.com sells it really cheap through the vitamin shop, I just recieved my 2 bottles.

How long does a bottle of Carlsons fish oil usually last for you guys and how many teaspoons do you have a day?

Thanks!

[quote]the#1ILB wrote:
How long does a bottle of Carlsons fish oil usually last for you guys and how many teaspoons do you have a day?

Thanks![/quote]

3-6 teaspoons a day. The bottles I use have 100 teaspoons in them.

In addition, I alternate between Flameout and Carlson’s fish oil caps. (There are different EPA:DHA ratios in all three products.)