Poliquin's Fish Oil Recommendation

Hi,
I’m from Italy.
I’ve just read the following statement made up by Charles Poliquin in his article “The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass”:I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day.

If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.
Sounds a little bit crazy.

Just random questions:

• 45 grams per day of fish oil or epa plus dha? there’s a great difference

• what about the other supplements and/or roids used by this NFL guy? what about his training and diet?

• there’s a scientifical base for such a statement or is it simply a funny anecdote?

wu, check out this thread … http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1510159

[quote]wu wrote:
I’ve just read the following statement made up by Charles Poliquin in his article “The Top 5 Supplements to Gain Muscle Mass”:I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day.

If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.[/quote]

Got a link to this article?

EDIT: nevermind, I found it on Poliquin’s website.

29 lbs in 1 month for someone who is already an NFL caliber athlete seems INSANE.

[quote]red04 wrote:
29 lbs in 1 month for someone who is already an NFL caliber athlete seems INSANE.[/quote]

not when you take into account all the things they weren’t doing. i have seen too many elite athletes who eat like shit and party too much, letting their genetics do the work. i always wonder what they could achieve with a Poliquin-like diet and training, this seems about near the high end.

Just a side note on the fish oil intake. My brother recently suffered a cut achilles (piece of metal fell it and sliced it up. They originally thought it was 75% cut, then 50, but a third opinion was it was about 33% detatched. They told him to expect about 2 months on crutches, because surgery was not needed. I told him to take some chondroitin (1500 mg maybe) and fish oil (GNC tabs, about 20 a day).

2 1/2 weeks later, he was off the crutches and able to walk around in the medical boot. They had him on heel lifts and he’s been able to take out almost all of them (4 or 5).

I’ve reasoned that maybe the achilles wasn’t completely cut as much as they thought, or he just heals very quickly, but part of me cannot deny that these supplements made a huge difference (2 - 3 months vs 3 1/2 - 4 weeks to talk out all the heel lifts is a lot.)

interesting stuff…
fish oil intake doesn’t seem linked to muscle gains or to such massive muscle gains.

Does anyone of you know if fish oil manufactured by Nordic naturals is an ethil ester one or a tryglicerid one?

I actually saw a study done with cancer patients that used EPAs as part of the study, and basically what they had found was that there was an increase in LBM with the group that supplemented with the EPAs. The study was actually about something else and the mass increase was a side note, but it leaves me to believe that there something to it whether direct or indirect.

Interesting…
Could I have the link about this study?

Poliquin says alot. Not saying he’s full of shit but it often seems a bit much. Notice he mentioned one of his athletes. Not all of them.

Besides, the man has his own damned training facility capable of all manner of testing, etc. So it wouldnt surprise me if you pulled an athlete out of the real world, put them under guideance in the right environment then suddenly they start making gains.

Shit, send me to poliquin and ill make gains fish oil or no fish oil. Either way the stuff IS cheap. You can test his doseing yourself if you want to.

[quote]wu wrote:
Interesting…
Could I have the link about this study?[/quote]

You know, I wish I had a link to it as well. My buddies are doing research on the EPA/DHA intake and they had showed me parts of this article that related to the body comp issues, so I couldn’t even tell you what the article was titled or anything like that.

FWIW, I guess there has been some research with EPA and cancer treatment, so if one wanted to search, that would be the referencing point.