Poliquin Tip

I read this on Poliquin’s Facebook fan page:

“I get asked this a lot, what do you think about using supplements to raise insulin before training? My take: you need cortisol to have energy during the workout, so that you can use heavy loads to create overload. Since raising insulin lowers cortisol, it does not make much sense. Another case of looking at the World through a straw!”

I’ve always spiked insulin preworkout, what do you guys think?

EDIT: To clarify this is a tip posted by Poliquin himself, not by a fan on his fan page.

Redirecting... ~~> Tip 43

I just completed PICP level 1, 2 and Biosignature Level and learned more in the past 2 weeks than I have in the last 3-4 yrs reading on my own! Most valuable coarses I have ever undertaken.

A friend of mine, who undertook Biosig with me, asked the question and Charles addressed it in ALOT more detail in class. All I can say is that I will not be taking in any carbs before a workout.

GJ

awww shit, fucking third law i thought i could trust you

More like Charles Poliquin is making ridiculous blanket pseudo-scientific claims with no back up whatsoever.

You guys are funny!

How hard is to try both ways to see what works best for you? Do you really need some guru to make your decisions for you?

For me it’s obvious that I perform better and grow faster with solid per-workout nutrition including carbohydrates. I believe this to be the case with most individuals based off what I’ve observed in real life.

I learned a long time ago that going hungry rarely helps you build muscle, regardless of the time of day.

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
You guys are funny!

How hard is to try both ways to see what works best for you? Do you really need some guru to make your decisions for you?

For me it’s obvious that I perform better and grow faster with solid per-workout nutrition including carbohydrates. I believe this to be the case with most individuals based off what I’ve observed in real life.

I learned a long time ago that going hungry rarely helps you build muscle, regardless of the time of day.

[/quote]
Dude, I’m not a Poliquin fan by any means but I would check out his writings on pre-workout nutrition before claiming his followers go hunry before training because they don’t ingest carbs! Poliquin’s pre-workout meal recommendations includes a serving of steak and cashew nuts - hardly the diet of the starving masses!

Cortisol helps release stored tissue for fuel, whereas Insulin puts nutrients into muscles.

PRO-TIP

If we are consuming carbohydrates, we have ample energy right there in that sugary shake. We don’t need to release stored energy when we consume it and it is in our blood.

Then the nutrients go into our muscles, which is good since we are trying to BUILD TISSUE.

The initial post seemed to forget that consuming sugars gives energy in addition to raising Insulin.

I also like how the last one says ‘looking at the world through a straw’ right after it failed to go into any consideration for Insulin pre-workout.

(Although, there may be consideration for this logic prior to low-med intensity sports/cardio for long periods of time. I just can’t rationalize it for weight lifting though…)

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
You guys are funny!

[/quote]
Dude, I’m not a Poliquin fan by any means but I would check out his writings on pre-workout nutrition before claiming his followers go hunry before training because they don’t ingest carbs! Poliquin’s pre-workout meal recommendations includes a serving of steak and cashew nuts - hardly the diet of the starving masses!
[/quote]

I’m very familiar with Charles’ theories – I’ve worked with him!

regardless of what Poliquin believes, ever since I started taking in my supplements pre and during workout, my energy levels and muscle mass have increased dramatically. I can thank Thibs for this advice. Take what you will from it.

Guess as CK stated…simply pick one method, try and assess…simple.

He pushes BCAA during training, because they raise insuline without blunting cortisol…

GJ

Guys, some people need to stop worrying about who says what. I made use of Post workout Carbs+Prot for years and made gains. This past year I started with the Pre/Peri Nutrition and made better gains. THat’s all I need to know. (If it works oppositely for you, fine, then follow that!)

S

Hey Gymjunkie,

Did you get any of my PMs? I tried sending you a couple but I do not think they are getting through. I wonder if the power that be took away my privileges…I am not sure why they would though.

[quote]JamesBrawn007 wrote:

[quote]ChrisKing wrote:
You guys are funny!

[/quote]
[/quote]

I sure as hell hope people aren’t just eating a certain way because someone told them to. That makes ZERO sense. Are some of you afraid of trial and error…or do you really think Poliquin is the king of all things biological?

I’ve only been lifting for a year and a half. I have other exercise and sports experience so I’m not new to intense physical activity.

I used to use the post-workout carb/protein thing like they always said. Made some decent gains, obviously as a beginning lifter. When I started the pre/peri as Might Stu said, it was insane, I had a ton more energy. Just eating a couple bananas and a scoop of whey beforehand was a million times better than a meal a couple hours before and then carbs/protein after. It seemed to improve my work capacity and my recovery. Then when I got the SURGE stuff. . .

If you don’t feel good after spiking insulin, it’s not something you should do before a workout. I know people that get an incredible increase in energy from carbs. I know other people, including myself that feel like sleeping after eating carbs.

I personally don’t eat anything before a workout, and often take hydrocortisone. If you are someone that tends to have low baseline cortisol levels, making an effort to increase them before a workout is not a cause for concern in regards to catabolism. So try working out in both states and see which produces a better workout.