T Nation

Poliquin Question

I’ve read this about a billion times. Over and over, and over and over.

Now, does Charles mean every 3rd day you hit the gym, or every 3rd day you do that particular routine.

What I mean is; the average gym rat hits the gym 4 days a week. Does that mean one of those days every week he will deload? Or does that mean all of his daily routines get deloaded the 3rd time he performs them, like the 3rd week in a row?

It means that you should deload every fourth week of a routine.

Usually the first week is focused on learning the appropriate motor patterns with the 2nd and 3rd weeks being accumulation weeks (loading). The fourth week’s focus should be on deloading to allow your body to adapt to the increased loading requirements. Following that you would either continue with your prescribed routine for another 2-4 weeks or shift gears into another block. The more advanced the faster you will adapt to a particular routing.

Hope the clarifies things.

best,

Sasha

Depends on your experience. Keep in mind that Charles Poliquin works with elite level athletes, and their programs will not provide the same benefits to a beginner or intermediate level lifter.

If you’re not advanced, which I’m confident you’re not since you’re asking this question, lower your volume that fourth week and keep intensity high. If anything, you’ll probably move even heavier weight that week.

The answer is both…

Out of a 4-week month, one week should be a deload week. A lot of the Olympic stuff puts the deload on Week #3 as a from of supercompensation for Week #4, the Heavy week. Some programs put the deload on Week #4, after the Heavy week. I think if you were to look at it logically, the deload week should be at week #3 for supercompensation for Week #4, but some seem to handle 3-week waves of increasing load just fine.

Many Olympic based programs will also have a deload day on a 4-day a week training program, and in the model, Day 3 will be a deload day for Day 4, the Heavy day for that week. I suppose you can use the same system as above and use the deload day on Day 4 as well.

For me, I can go without the deload day in the middle of the week, but I certainly need a deload once a month.

[quote]Dominator wrote:
The answer is both…

Out of a 4-week month, one week should be a deload week. A lot of the Olympic stuff puts the deload on Week #3 as a from of supercompensation for Week #4, the Heavy week. Some programs put the deload on Week #4, after the Heavy week. I think if you were to look at it logically, the deload week should be at week #3 for supercompensation for Week #4, but some seem to handle 3-week waves of increasing load just fine.

Many Olympic based programs will also have a deload day on a 4-day a week training program, and in the model, Day 3 will be a deload day for Day 4, the Heavy day for that week. I suppose you can use the same system as above and use the deload day on Day 4 as well.

For me, I can go without the deload day in the middle of the week, but I certainly need a deload once a month.[/quote]

very well said. i really like the 2 week load, 1 week unload, and week 4 set new benchmark

what qualifies as a deload week?

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
what qualifies as a deload week?[/quote]

Depends…

For an Olympic lifter, lower intensity and volume is normally what you’d see, however, sometimes they’ll keep intensity high and deload volume. It just depends what zones of insity they’re coverring for that month.

[quote]Hawkson101 wrote:
what qualifies as a deload week?[/quote]

look below at 4 week block:

5x60 x65 x70 x70 x65

5x60 x65 x70 x75 x75 x70

5x60 x65 x65 x60 UNLOAD

5x60 x70 x80 x85max 5x70

When it comes to strength waves, the oly and PL boys know it best. Thanks for the replies fella’s.

I believe what Poliquin meant was this.

Say you train 4 days a week. You hit upper body 2 days and lower body 2 days, but each workout is different. This means you do each workout once per week. So the third time you do each workout will be the 3rd week.