Poliquin PWO Recommendations

I’ve seen Charles Poliquin recommend Whey, Glutamine and Glycine instead of a Surge-type PWO shake. Does anyone have any idea of the specifics of this protocol? Any ratio of Whey, Glutamine and Glycine? Is it Bodyweight dependent?

[quote]JKThreeEleven17 wrote:
I’ve seen Charles Poliquin recommend Whey, Glutamine and Glycine instead of a Surge-type PWO shake. Does anyone have any idea of the specifics of this protocol? Any ratio of Whey, Glutamine and Glycine? Is it Bodyweight dependent?[/quote]

“Fat people should not consume carbs post-workout. The best Post workout drink for a 200lb overweight man is: Whey Isolate 60g + Glutamine 20-80g + Glycine 20g. This will replenish glycogen while preventing fat gain.”

(taken from a Poliquin fat loss seminar)

Holy balls, that is a lot of glutamine. With the exception of some BCAA powder products that have glutamine mixed in, I have yet to taste a glutamine powder that I think I could stomach that much… eh. Thank god I’m lean enough for carbs.

Anyone have any literature or knowledge as to the mechanism of glycine in glycogen replenishment PWO in the absence of carbs?

[quote]T Affliction G wrote:
Holy balls, that is a lot of glutamine. With the exception of some BCAA powder products that have glutamine mixed in, I have yet to taste a glutamine powder that I think I could stomach that much… eh. Thank god I’m lean enough for carbs.

Anyone have any literature or knowledge as to the mechanism of glycine in glycogen replenishment PWO in the absence of carbs?[/quote]

Just fucking try it it works.

Thanks for the feed back guys!

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
Just fucking try it it works.[/quote]

Once I run out of my Surge-like concoction I made on a custom mix website, I’m going to go with this, especially as I entertain the idea of adopting the Anabolic Diet. Where did you buy your Glutamine and Glycine powders? NOW foods?

Thanks for the feed back guys!

Kill’Em All wrote:
Just fucking try it it works.

Once I run out of my Surge-like concoction I made on a custom mix website, I’m going to go with this, especially as I entertain the idea of adopting the Anabolic Diet. Where did you buy your Glutamine and Glycine powders? NOW foods?
[/quote]

The cheapest I’ve seen for glutamine is about 20 bucks for a half a kilo (1.1 lbs) or 40 for a kilo and the cheapest for glycine is 9 dollars for 1 lb. Pretty cheap. If anyone can find a cheaper price for glutamine, let me know.

Both can be had at bb.com

[quote]Kill’Em All wrote:
Just fucking try it it works.[/quote]

Lol. Thanks for keeping me off the over-thinking path.

How about the best, cheapest whey isolate? I used to use All The Whey but I’m not such a fan.

I’m thinking of using NOW for all three products. I can find those real cheap, especially on vitaglo.

For isolate, I prefer Isopure. I usually get the big 7 lb. tub.

Does anyone know where to locate that article/posting? I recall someone writing a review of that seminar, but I can’t locate it again.

I’ve seen Charles Poliquin recommend Whey, Glutamine and Glycine instead of a Surge-type PWO shake. Does anyone have any idea of the specifics of this protocol? Any ratio of Whey, Glutamine and Glycine? Is it Bodyweight dependent?[/quote]

Because Charles doesn’t know much about nutrition, and is too much into voo-doo witch doctor type supplements. There have been countless articles here by Berardi, Lowery, and others that show the importance of PWO carbs

Seriously don’t bother with this just have Surge during/after or a similar post workout drink. If you are obese then I agree cut out carbs instead of Surge have 40g of Whey followed by a meal an hour later.

Otherwise there is no need to spend the ridiculous amount in the wacky post workout drink of Poliquin…

SHadoW

I have been using this type of protocol while dieting and I find that it works very well. Once you’ve adjusted to a low carbohydrate lifestyle, especially PWO, your body will become extremely efficient at sparing carbohydrates. This is part of the strategy for the anabolic diet. One thing I would recommend is that you do schedule in refeeds at least once a week to ensure you’re able to train with the same intensity week after week. As some may have mentioned, your body does need glycogen to perform anaerobic work and it comes down to whether you want to fuel that work via carbohydrates or proteins.

There’s a lot more to it but on the whole, dropping PWO carbs in favour of a PWO shake like this is especially good if you want to drop fat mass.

Shoot back with any questions.

Best,

Sasha

So for PWO I am 140 lbs and 5’8 im looking to gain 15-20 lbs this summer, but my diet might be a little shitty but for PWO it is reccomended that I get about 26g of protein and 50g of carbs…

so in conclusion this is what i thought of
1 scoop whey 25-26 g of P
and 1 20 oz Gatorade about 40g of carbs and its a fast digesting High GI Carb ( Good for getting a quick insulin spike)

any other suggestions for PWO for me?

Also what do you guys take PWO for cardio days? just have a meal comprised of lean meat / veggies/ and a complex carb?

if you guys are interested in helping me with my diet i have a thread up Good Diet or Shit … or its Good Diet or Not! I apprecaite all the help! thanks again