Poliquin Overtraining With Singles

Charles Poliquin when talking about shock training:
“Another way that works well for strength is to train with singles (10-12) five days in a row for the same lift. Take two days off, you get a personal best”

Has anyone done this? I’d really like to try this for, let’s say, two weeks, and then rest up for about 5 days. I want to up my 1rm squat. I was thinking about something like this:

Mon:
10 singles back squat 90-95% 1rm

Tue:
10 singles front squat 90-95% 1rm

repeat, friday max out day. Weekend is for rest.

Week 2:
Same stuff

Week 3, rest up. no lifting.

I’m not a noob, I’ve lifted for quite a few years, but my squat has always been my weak point. I’d love to try this, as I’ve always reasoned the best way to increase a 1rm lift is to practice 1rm lifts. What do you think???

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459575

This is what you need

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:

Mon:
10 singles back squat 90-95% 1rm

Tue:
10 singles front squat 90-95% 1rm

repeat, friday max out day. Weekend is for rest.
[/quote]

Sounds to me like you’re supposed to take two days off THEN max out, you’ll want some rest after 4 days in a row of singles.

Let us know how it goes.

Are you sure the load is supposed to be 90%+? I’ve done this in the 70-85% 1RM range and it works damn good. Above that and day 5 is “wanna die” day.

But then, I’m old.

Gotta go max lifts to get better at them.

I found the link GuiYoM posted interested and true from my experience.

On my ME days I usually will work up to either a max single, double, triple whatever. After that I like to drop some weight a do a set for reps. For instance, my ME bench day I worked up to 405 for 2 singles then dropped to 315. Normally 315 would see my failing at 10-12 reps.

But even after doing two singles at literally 99% of my 1RM since I barely got the second one I was able to grind out 16 reps. I know Poliquin says its for 6 but I never had done more than 13 this way. There is something about feeling a weight 405 in my case and then feeling a lighter weight 315 in my case it really does feel “lite” per se.

Not directly related to the OP but sort of close