Poliquin on BCAA Supplementation

Poliquin has an interesting article (a reprint, I think) here:
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/members/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=262

Among other points is this: “[I]f you weigh 90 kilograms (198 lbs), take 40 grams of branch chain amino acids. If you are on a restricted budget, use at least 20 grams. Otherwise, don?t bother.”

Hmmm, I’m only taking 20g a day but I’m getting decent results from that dosage. Maybe when budget allows I’ll up the dose to double that.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Hmmm, I’m only taking 20g a day but I’m getting decent results from that dosage. Maybe when budget allows I’ll up the dose to double that.[/quote]

Did you read the article? Poliquin says to take 20-40 grams intra-workout only. So only on days you lift. If you are taking them daily, why not take 40 on workout days?

You can do whatever you want, of course. But Poliquin has been right about so much (and he is copied by everyone), that I am going to follow his dosing and see what happens.

Totally willing to take the obligatory massive amounts of internetual abuse for what is, most probably, a completely stupid question…

Will this 40g/peri-workout BCAA supplementation protocol…

Nah! Nevermind… answered my own fat-ass “brilliant” muther-fuckin’ question… dammit.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
take 40 grams of branch chain amino acids.

LOL…do you guys have any idea how much that would cost on a weekly basis?[/quote] Yes. It’s $3.73 per serving if using Biotest. [quote] If you add in all the other stuff that most of us usually take[/quote] What is all of this “stuff” you are taking? Other than whey, fish oil, and Metabolic Drive (which I consider food), I regularly don’t take anything. What supplements are you taking? What measurable results have you gotten from what you are taking? [quote] I don’t think I’d have the time to train because I’d need two or three more jobs.[/quote] You could always disconnect cable and sell your video game collection.

If I try this for a month (@3 workouts a week), that’s around 50 bucks. If it doesn’t work, oh well. If I see good results, then it’s worth it.

I don’t know how old you are. But when you get older, you tend to realize that $50 and one month are very small in the scheme of things.

Oh, and if you are spending over $100 on supplements a month (again, not counting food like whey, greens, and fish oil), then you are likely just creating really expensive urine. Supplements are supposed to be things you take at specific times and for specific reasons. There is no need to always be “on” something. So I’ll spend just 50 bucks this month for experience’s sake. And I won’t need to pick up a second job.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Mick28 wrote:

LOL…do you guys have any idea how much that would cost on a weekly basis? Yes. It’s $3.73 per serving if using Biotest. If you add in all the other stuff that most of us usually take What is all of this “stuff” you are taking? Other than whey, fish oil, and Metabolic Drive (which I consider food), I regularly don’t take anything. What supplements are you taking? What measurable results have you gotten from what you are taking? I don’t think I’d have the time to train because I’d need two or three more jobs. You could always disconnect cable and sell your video game collection.

If I try this for a month (@3 workouts a week), that’s around 50 bucks. If it doesn’t work, oh well. If I see good results, then it’s worth it.

I don’t know how old you are. But when you get older, you tend to realize that $50 and one month are very small in the scheme of things.

Oh, and if you are spending over $100 on supplements a month (again, not counting food like whey, greens, and fish oil), then you are likely just creating really expensive urine. Supplements are supposed to be things you take at specific times and for specific reasons. There is no need to always be “on” something. So I’ll spend just 50 bucks this month for experience’s sake. And I won’t need to pick up a second job.[/quote]

I agree 100% rather do not take bullcrap supplements as protein and weight gainer and rather invest in some good stuff.

rsg wrote:
Hmmm, I’m only taking 20g a day but I’m getting decent results from that dosage. Maybe when budget allows I’ll up the dose to double that.

Did you read the article? Poliquin says to take 20-40 grams intra-workout only. So only on days you lift. If you are taking them daily, why not take 40 on workout days?

You can do whatever you want, of course. But Poliquin has been right about so much (and he is copied by everyone), that I am going to follow his dosing and see what happens.[/quote]

I take 20g on days I lift, 10g before & 10g after.

I take a few grams on days when I’m out and don’t have a chance to eat too often.

But for 9lbs lbm gain in 3 weeks, I’ll give it a shot as some stage too.

Mick28 wrote:

LOL…do you guys have any idea how much that would cost on a weekly basis? Yes. It’s $3.73 per serving if using Biotest. If you add in all the other stuff that most of us usually take What is all of this “stuff” you are taking? Other than whey, fish oil, and Metabolic Drive (which I consider food), I regularly don’t take anything. What supplements are you taking? What measurable results have you gotten from what you are taking? I don’t think I’d have the time to train because I’d need two or three more jobs. You could always disconnect cable and sell your video game collection.

Oh, and if you are spending over $100 on supplements a month (again, not counting food like whey, greens, and fish oil), then you are likely just creating really expensive urine. Supplements are supposed to be things you take at specific times and for specific reasons. There is no need to always be “on” something. So I’ll spend just 50 bucks this month for experience’s sake. And I won’t need to pick up a second job.[/quote]

This is the same attitude I have. I just started the protocol yesterday. I already know the BCAAs work, I’ve just never tried them in such high doses and I’m willing to try.

$50 is worth a try to me. If it doesn’t work better than the normal dosage, fuck it. That’s the same amount I would spend taking some broad out to dinner and most of the time that shit doesn’t work out either–who gives a fuck! Life goes on dammit.

I don’t think he’s right on this one. Not completely, anyway. I am quite condifident that I benefit from from BCAA supplementation in between meals on non-workout days, particularly when hypocaloric. I do agree on the high doses centered around the workout, if you can afford it. I personally take 8 Biotest Pills before lifting and 8 after. I do think BCAAs between meals when maintaining and gaining are helpful but not as important. For cutting, they are a a godsend.

I did the 40g per day protocol with bulking and had great results. But I didn’t center it all around workout. I centered 20 pills around working and 20 spread throughout the day. Next time around I think I will center most of it around workout on lifting days as per Poliquin’s reommendations and see if I have even better results.

Hilarious!! It's funny how people are always so ready to try and "POUNCE" on a guy with their massive amounts of self rightious wisdom...the lawman got served..ha ha.

On the other hand he did bring up an important and interesting topic.

[quote]InTheZone wrote:
Hilarious!! It’s funny how people are always so ready to try and “POUNCE” on a guy with their massive amounts of self rightious wisdom…the lawman got served…ha ha.[/quote]

LOL. Okay, sure, if you say so.

[quote]mazevedo wrote:
$50 is worth a try to me. If it doesn’t work better than the normal dosage, fuck it. That’s the same amount I would spend taking some broad out to dinner and most of the time that shit doesn’t work out either–who gives a fuck! Life goes on dammit.[/quote]

Exactly. People (myself included) waste so much money on stupid shit that it’s pathetic. There are legitimately people who do not have $50 to spare in a month. But that’s a small minority of people. Most just choose to fritter their money away on things like dining out and entertainment.

I know “broke college kids” who drop $40 or more at one night at the bar and who drink Starbuck’s coffee. (It’s better freshly-ground at home and made with a french press.)

Not saying everyone falls into that category, but there are few people who do truly do not have fat to trim from their spending. (Again, I’m just as bad as most in this regard.)

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Well maybe when you get older you’ll grow a thicker skin huh? [/quote]

LOL. You wrote a multi-paragraph response to something I wrote that was not offensive and you are telling me to get thick skin?

In any event, one, I think you are taking too many supplements. Two, if you do not want to get bigger, why are you on this site? Seriously, it sounds to me like you’re more interested in life extension topics.

Exactly. People (myself included) waste so much money on stupid shit that it’s pathetic. There are legitimately people who do not have $50 to spare in a month. But that’s a small minority of people. Most just choose to fritter their money away on things like dining out and entertainment. [/quote]

True that. My friends at school will ask how I have money for “all those supplements.” Those supplements being Surge, creatine, fish oil and the occassional bar or shake when need be. I just laugh it off and say I saved up money over the summer or whatever, but in reality it’s because I never go to bars and don’t drop $20 or more every weekend on alcohol.

It’s amazing how much money even a poor (legitimately, I got reduced lunch in high school) college student who only works over the summer can have for supplements when you just cut out the stupid shit.

It looks like Poliquin is selling his own BCAA supplements.

I would be interested to hear feedback on these high dosages.

I would rather spend the money for a month and add a few quality pounds than drag it out.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
I don’t think he’s right on this one. Not completely, anyway. I am quite condifident that I benefit from from BCAA supplementation in between meals on non-workout days, particularly when hypocaloric. I do agree on the high doses centered around the workout, if you can afford it. I personally take 8 Biotest Pills before lifting and 8 after. I do think BCAAs between meals when maintaining and gaining are helpful but not as important. For cutting, they are a a godsend.[/quote]

Interesting.

I personally have no opinion about them. I know Poliquin (long before his own company or Biotest started selling them) has recommended mega-doses of BCAAs when training. So I’m giving it a try.