Poliquin Leaves

whos this Charles Poliquin guy? what sports did he excel in? who is he?

[quote]spk wrote:
whos this charles poliquin guy? what sports did he excel in? who is he?[/quote]

Trainer of champions.

I think he was personally involved in martial arts, but he supposedly trains all sorts of high ranking athletes.

Former Muscle Media and T-Nation writer. Owner of a gym chain. Guy who writes outrageous stuff.

For all the shit Charles gets for some of his retarded nutrition claims, his keen remarks about the real-world effects of “overreaching” via strength training (in his training articles) showed that he knew what he is talking about. This can’t be said of most of these wanna-be strength trainers.

[quote]mutantcolors wrote:

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

Yeah, that part where he tells you that 1000 kcal of fast food aren’t the same as 1000 kcal of steak and veggies is absurd.[/quote]

Way to not understand what he was getting at.

Fast food is shit. Steak and veggies are not. get it yet?[/quote]

Sarcasm dude, 100%. The OP of that vid did this in another Poliquin thread as if it discredits the guy, which it most certainly does not if you just listen to the words he says.[/quote]

The overall message is good, but he does make stupid strawmen arguments.

“A calorie ain’t a calorie. I mean, let’s imagine if you just ate Oreos!”

Well no shit…

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

Yeah, that part where he tells you that 1000 kcal of fast food aren’t the same as 1000 kcal of steak and veggies is absurd.[/quote]

Way to not understand what he was getting at.

Fast food is shit. Steak and veggies are not. get it yet?[/quote]

Sarcasm dude, 100%. The OP of that vid did this in another Poliquin thread as if it discredits the guy, which it most certainly does not if you just listen to the words he says.[/quote]

Sarcasm was not that obvious in your post and I dont even know of the guy so maybe it felt as flat as a white girls ass?

I would love to see the take up of the PICP course after the guy it’s named after up’s and leave’s?

Reminds me of Pavel Tsatsouline leaving RKC to pursue SFG.

It’s kinda shitty for all those people who paid big money for a certifiction based in part on a guy’s name and all that comes with that (good or bad). It will be now a case of ‘is your cert pre-Poliquin or post-Poliquin…’

was he ever a good/great athlete? or just a trainer?

[quote]spk wrote:
was he ever a good/great athlete? or just a trainer?[/quote]

How about you use Google or Bing or visit his website or use the search engine on this one?

was he an athlete? good or great? or was he just a trainer? im gonna google him…

Trainer.

[quote]spk wrote:

You say “just” as though being a coach/teacher/trainer who helps others to excel is somehow less than being the athlete who takes the limelight.

The best coaches are often not the best athletes and vice versa, yet few athletes would reach the heights of performance they do without the support of their coaches.

[quote]batman730 wrote:

[quote]spk wrote:

You say “just” as though being a coach/teacher/trainer who helps others to excel is somehow less than being the athlete who takes the limelight.

The best coaches are often not the best athletes and vice versa, yet few athletes would reach the heights of performance they do without the support of their coaches.

[/quote]

I think he used the word “just” to express that he has been ONLY a trainer and NOT an athlete, not both that is.

Very sensitive bunch here sometimes.

Despite the general attitude I see a lot of people having towards his somewhat odd and eccentric claims in recent years, I like to think that Poliquin was one of the first coaches, that a lot of people knew by name, who truly seemed to think about what his athletes were doing in terms far beyond what you could read in M&F magazines. I know that his writings were some of the first stuff that really got me analyzing every facet of my own approaches.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Despite the general attitude I see a lot of people having towards his somewhat odd and eccentric claims in recent years, I like to think that Poliquin was one of the first coaches, that a lot of people knew by name, who truly seemed to think about what his athletes were doing in terms far beyond what you could read in M&F magazines. I know that his writings were some of the first stuff that really got me analyzing every facet of my own approaches.

S[/quote]

Same exact case here. I discovered T-Nation because I typed “Charles Poliquin” in a search engine in 1999. Only later on did he become ridiculous in his statements.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

S[/quote]

Same exact case here. I discovered T-Nation because I typed “Charles Poliquin” in a search engine in 1999. Only later on did he become ridiculous in his statements. [/quote]

well you’ve only been here since 2012. So clearly you’re a liar

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

S[/quote]

Same exact case here. I discovered T-Nation because I typed “Charles Poliquin” in a search engine in 1999. Only later on did he become ridiculous in his statements. [/quote]

well you’ve only been here since 2012. So clearly you’re a liar[/quote]

1. I used to post under a different name from 2003 to 2011.

2. You can view this site and read its articles without being a registered member of the forum.

So clearly you have no idea what the hell you’re talking about.

i googled him. he trained some hockey players and other athletes…

[quote]spk wrote:
i googled him. he trained some hockey players and other athletes…[/quote]

Yeah, bobsledders too.

So whatcha think of him? Gonna give his methods a go?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

S[/quote]

2. You can view this site and read its articles without being a registered member of the forum.

So clearly you have no idea what the hell you’re talking about. [/quote]

orly? what kind of internet connection did you have in 1999
what kind of computer did you have in 1999

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

S[/quote]

So clearly you have no idea what the hell you’re talking about. [/quote]

orly? what kind of internet connection did you have in 1999
what kind of computer did you have in 1999
[/quote]

1. AOL.
  2. Compaq.

You’re asking “orly?”. Meanwhile it’s evident you can read articles and the forums without being a registered member of the forums. Try it for yourself: log out and continue to read.

I also bought the Poliquin Principles in 1999 or 2000 and read Charles’ articles in Muscle Media for some time. Anything else you know about me that I don’t?