T Nation

Poliquin Certification

Thoughts on it? Obviously it’s probably packed with info, Charles is a researcher like no one else. but in terms of the industry? Does anyone have it? or should it just be considered a 350 dollar book?

I wouldn’t bother. Most people int he industry won’t really care.

I second that. Not saying that you wouldn’t learn anything, just that no one (employers, clients) is going to care. If you are talking about personal training, there are a ton of certs. If you are gearing up for working with athletes then a CSCS and/or USAW is pretty much the standard.

Let your lifts and/or your looks speak, don’t sweat the certs too much.

ok you guys defaintly took this thread against it’s intenetion. My question repharsed is this assuming that one is or has the intention of being CSCS, PES USAW, where do you think the Poliquin cert would fall. The few poliquin certifitied guys I know are all highly smart and I think that having an specfic cert like the Poliquin kinda separates them from other USAw’s and other CSCS. Obviously the learned knowledge is incredible. So with that in mind what are your thoughts

I say don’t bother with the certification…if you really want to get the most of his extensive knowledge first hand save up and do a week long internship with him. A friend of mine did this and learned a tremendous amount about training athletes. You do have to have at least one (maybe two) of his clinics in before being accepted though.

This would be the way to go IMO if the cert isn’t your goal. Ultimately, no one you train is going to care where or who you certified with–just whether or not your applied knowledge got them results.

[quote]deadgame wrote:
I say don’t bother with the certification…if you really want to get the most of his extensive knowledge first hand save up and do a week long internship with him. A friend of mine did this and learned a tremendous amount about training athletes. You do have to have at least one (maybe two) of his clinics in before being accepted though.

This would be the way to go IMO if the cert isn’t your goal. Ultimately, no one you train is going to care where or who you certified with–just whether or not your applied knowledge got them results.[/quote]

again it’s not about saying to someone “i’m Poliquin certifiied” it’s about attaing knowledge and doing what only a few people do

if you are really curious and have that kind of cash burning a hole in your pocket, I’d say go for it.

If nothing else you’ll have an excellent resource written by one of the best and most reputable trainer/coaches in the world. That alone, if you really do want to learn more, should justify the cost.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
if you are really curious and have that kind of cash burning a hole in your pocket, I’d say go for it.

If nothing else you’ll have an excellent resource written by one of the best and most reputable trainer/coaches in the world. That alone, if you really do want to learn more, should justify the cost.[/quote]

well it defaintly does and my main purpose was to A) get on an exclusive list and b) I’m going to wait to do CSCS and PES until after I finish my masters degree or at least in the middle of it. I was going to focus on my Poliquin cert right now before I start grad school. I figured from those within the industry it woul dbe looked at positively

what industry? (I’m absolutely not trying to be a dick here) I you mean the fitness industry, I feel like the business is overrun with people holding ACE certs and the like–almost none know who Poliquin is. If you are talking about the athletic industry, (which would be about the only reason to bother going for the CSCS) then absolutely no one will care. I understand what you said earlier about not being concerned with where it ranks, but you just intimated that it would hold some credibility in the industry so maybe you do care a little?

Money in return for knowledge? Thats why you’re going to school, so no problem there. I feel if you try for a cert from him–last time I checked there were different levels (you would be attaining a level one) you will actually be limiting the amount of knowledge you can pull from him. However, with an internship with him you can see first hand how his place runs and how he works athletes. At that point who cares about the cert because you have gained more practical knowledge than you would have going the other way.

Certifications are for getting jobs, not increasing your knowledge base. They inherently limit your learning potential b/c you are required to know only a certain amount (they determine) before you pass the test and hold their credential.

I just think that when you look at the list of Poliquin certified coaches, weather their level 1 or level 5, they all are pretty smart and knowledgeable people. You wouldn’t take the certification, let alone know of CP is if you weren’t big into strength conditiong and performance enhancement