T Nation

Poliquin Certification

I have just completed the theory portion of the first level of the Poliquin International Certification Program. I was supposed to be at the seminar being given in Connecticut this weekend, but could not make it do to work reasons (damn the 2 weeks vacation limit). I know from previous threads that many people were considering this certification, but just were not sure if it was worth it. Let me be first to tell you, it is. Just the Theory 1 manual alone gives enough useful information to improve your and your clients training drastically. I have been following Poliquin for a long time and after reading many of his articles I always wanted further explanation on how to apply what was being stated. Well this manual was just what I was looking for, and I know many of you may be in the same boat. There is no deficit of new information in this manual. There were a lot of principles that I have never heard of before, and some that sort of blew my mind, you know the kind of new training advice that you here and you say ?no shit, that?s pretty cool? well there is a ton of it here. There are some things in the manual that may sound very familiar, however the truth is the truth and what works is what works, and for those that need scientific evidence, its there.

Just to give you guys an example of how detailed the information gets Poliquin gives 24 principles to follow when determining the amount of reps to be used when designing a strength training program. Something new (at least to me) was the amount of time a concentric contraction should take when training for relative strength. Another new principle I thought interesting was related to how important it is to consider the strength curve of an exercise when prescribing a tempo for a given exercise. There are a tone of graphs and charts to help with the understanding of the principles, also some cool workouts that he designs for some of his top level athletes.

I also must thank the whole staff at the Poliquin Performance Center, they handled many of my questions in a professional manner and were always willing to help.

Regards,
Barrett Richard

bamit

I just have a question for you regarding the certification. Can anyone do it? Like for the first level, and not the next four where there are requirements, but do you have to be a coach? graduate? etc…

I’m pretty interested in it, but how long did i take you to complete? I’ve tried to email the “more info girl” but I can’t actually send an email.

I’d be really interested in hearing back from you

Mat

[quote]rhinobolt10 wrote:
bamit

I just have a question for you regarding the certification. Can anyone do it? Like for the first level, and not the next four where there are requirements, but do you have to be a coach? graduate? etc…

I’m pretty interested in it, but how long did i take you to complete? I’ve tried to email the “more info girl” but I can’t actually send an email.

I’d be really interested in hearing back from you

Mat[/quote]

rhinobolt10,

To answer your first question: It is my understanding that anyone can do the first two levels, after that I think that you may need to be a practicing strength coach of some sort.

To answer your second question: It did not take me long to complete (3 weeks) the theory portion at all, but I must say that I was already very familiar with a bit of the information, so it may not be as hard on me as it might be on others. If you are pretty familiar with Coach Poliquin?s work then you should do fine. On second thought, even if you are not familiar with his work, you should do fine. The information in the manual laid out in a very understandable manner and each topic is broken down and detailed very clearly. Also I should point out that I do not think that it is necessary to complete one section before moving on to the next in a given level. For instance you can go to the Technical seminar for level 1 before you finish the theory part of level 1. I assumed that one needed to finish one before the other and this along with work issues is why I was unable to attend to Level 1 seminar in Connecticut this weekend, had I known better I would probably have been there. Oh well you know what they say happens when you assume.

If you want to order the Level 1 manual I suggest you call up the center. They are very helpful. The phone number = 1-480-966-3840.

If anybody else has any questions, let me know.

Did any of T-Nation attend the seminar this past weekend? If so let us know how it was.

Barrett Richard

I don’t want to train athletes. I just want to be the best at training average people to look good “nekkid”. Is it still worth it?

…ah hell I’ll just take the damn course…

Bamit

Thanks a lot man, I’m definately going to do this, even if it’s just so I can meet Poliquin in Oct at the Seminar.

I haven’t read any of his books, but I’ve read just about everything he’s ever written online. We’re both from Ottawa so I’m kinda a fan.

I’ve got classes right now, then in the summer I’m running a painting company, so I’m a little short on time, but three weeks is nothing, and I imagine I’ll love every second of it.

Thanks a lot for the info, and I’ll definately call the number.

Mat Bertrand

[quote]NateN wrote:
I don’t want to train athletes. I just want to be the best at training average people to look good “nekkid”. Is it still worth it?

…ah hell I’ll just take the damn course…[/quote]

NateN,

I would say that it is definitely worth it even if you are training people just to look good “nekkid.”
The manual lays out workout parameters for hypertrophy as well as absolute strength, relative strength, etc… In other words it is very comprehensive in all aspects of physical training. Good luck to you, tell them I sent you.

Barrett Richard

[quote]rhinobolt10 wrote:
Bamit

Thanks a lot man, I’m definately going to do this, even if it’s just so I can meet Poliquin in Oct at the Seminar.

I haven’t read any of his books, but I’ve read just about everything he’s ever written online. We’re both from Ottawa so I’m kinda a fan.

I’ve got classes right now, then in the summer I’m running a painting company, so I’m a little short on time, but three weeks is nothing, and I imagine I’ll love every second of it.

Thanks a lot for the info, and I’ll definately call the number.

Mat Bertrand[/quote]

Mat,

Good luck to you. If you have read most of Poliquin’s work then you should have a leg up on the manual. However, there is a lot of new information as well. To tell you the truth I could have probably finished in about 2 weeks because I love reading about and applying strength training techniques and I found the information in the manual so damn interesting. It was a labor of love so to speak. I hope this does not make me a damn metal type.

Also, you have to make a 92% on the exam to pass, which I think is great because it forces you to really know the material. I remember in college I could almost always pull out a C on any test; however, to get an A you had to know the subject matter pretty good. I may see you at that seminar. Good luck to you.

Yes I too was under them impression that you had to do theory before techincal or else I would of done the seminar because I live in Stamford!!! I plan to do my theory really soon, I just wanna bang out my CSCS first

This is just a bump to ask if any T-Nation members attended the Poliquin Techinal 1 seminar this past weekend? Let us know how it was.

Can you say “this is an ad”?

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Can you say “this is an ad”?[/quote]

That’s pretty funny, just to make things clear; I have no financial association with Poliquin’s company. I posted the above because on a similar thread a while back a few people had questions about the certification, including me. If I thought the certification was crap I would have said so. It would appear from previous post that you are not a Poliquin fan, are you in the T-Nation haters group?