Police Officers

I’m going into the force for a major city in october. And i was hoping to ask a couple officers here(if any) and other ppl on the forum about thoughts on the force.

With all the outta shape cops out there, it makes me think that it has less to do with their laziness, and more to do with overtime taking away their free time to lift.

and juicing… I remember a mens health article a while back about how alot of cops juice. Now behind the blue curtain cops watch out for one another, but the dea is a different story. I’d prefer coops to juice but thats just me.

Complacency is complacency no matter what field you work in. The fat guys who have become complacent about themselves, cops or not, are usualy just as much if not moreso about their work.

The opposite seems true too. People who are dilligent and have their shit together, willing to go the extra mile to do what needs done are usualy willing and able to do that with most facets of their lives.

In the end though, we are all human and all have some frailties. Try not to let those frailties disguise the good in a person.

On the juice- I think that when you deal with people at a physical level you should be on by default. It would go a long way toward injury prevention of both parties a great deal, and would certainly help to extend the effective life of an officer in the field.

Don’t be a cop unless you’re going to be crooked.

Cops who love god don’t make any money.

Cops who know America is about lying and perception are the ones who prosper.

Never become too complacent with your weapon, major city to me says “glock” and I’ve heard of more people shooting themselves with glocks than anything. Safe weapons, but, people get stupid with them after they carry them for years.

Anyway, good luck.

If you PM me, I’ll try to answer your questions. Just make a list of the things you want to know, and I’ll answer them. I work for a large department in TX.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

Cops who know America is about lying and perception are the ones who prosper.[/quote]

Wow. One of the most idiotic comments I have seen on the boards. You watch too much TV my friend.

[quote]idalux wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:

Wow. One of the most idiotic comments I have seen on the boards. You watch too much TV my friend.[/quote]

I bet it’ll start a good thread though :wink:

EDIT: BTW, I have one police officer in my direct family, and know others. This isn’t something I just made up.

OP-

Were you picked on in school? Looking to get even with society?

Ahhhh I’m just being cynical - lots of good cops out there. Stay on the right side.

Almost all of the Minneapolis cops are in great shape. IIRC they can lift a few hours a week while they are on-duty.

If a cop is fat it’s because he has decided to be fat. Most typical patrol officers work a typical 8 hour a day, 5 day a week shift, and put in a few hours of overtime a week (my dad is a cop, btw).

As far as AAS are concerned, plenty of cops use, and no department that I have ever heard of tests for this. I would not go announcing it to anybody, however, as, unfortunately, police forces are HIGHLY political machines, and there is a LOT of backstabbing and crawling over bodies to get to the top. The less dirt people have on you, the better.

The Wire is actually fairly accurate (if dramaticized) in its depiction of LE politics.

If you are a powerlifter there are bunch of feds that allow us our own division. And as long as you have not sold your soul to the IPF there are police and fire games around the country every summer.
Good Luck and stay safe out there!

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
idalux wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:

Wow. One of the most idiotic comments I have seen on the boards. You watch too much TV my friend.

EDIT: BTW, I have one police officer in my direct family, and know others. This isn’t something I just made up.
[/quote]

Well, if that’s how the officers where you live are then that’s a shame. I also have police officers in my family and they do the “work hard for a paycheck” thing. Very honorable dudes. They make real good money too. I guess it just depends on where you live but you can’t say that all cops who love God don’t make money and they’re not all crooked. I will agree that some have given the profession a bad name.

I made the TV comment because that’s where most people get that impression of officers. “They all eat donuts and drink coffee and take money from the crooks and put it in their pocket.” It’s too bad that TV ruins most peoples view of cops. Just know that some officers are trying to do the right things and still make good money.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
idalux wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:

[/quote]

So are your family members making any money?

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

Cops who know America is about lying and perception are the ones who prosper.[/quote]

I’m guessing you watched “Exit Wounds” the other day?

Do it like Denzel in training day.

I have been a COP for five years now. At first it was very hard to stay in a program switching back and forth night to days. However, I still did it.

Some COPS just don’t care that much for training. Once the free foods from restaurants comes around they start taking advantage since we dont make huge checks.

I love what I do. I have currently moved up to Lt making it much easier to set workout times.

Hang in there. If you want to help others, there is no better career. Good luck.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

cough

I think you mean “deception”.

(EDIT: Or perhaps even “persuasion”)

ElbowStrike

[quote]idalux wrote:
They make real good money too.

kal-el wrote:
Some COPS just don’t care that much for training. Once the free foods from restaurants comes around they start taking advantage since we dont make huge checks.
[/quote]

Which is it? good money or not?

[quote]TattoosNLifting wrote:
I’m going into the force for a major city in october. And i was hoping to ask a couple officers here(if any) and other ppl on the forum about thoughts on the force.

With all the outta shape cops out there, it makes me think that it has less to do with their laziness, and more to do with overtime taking away their free time to lift.

and juicing… I remember a mens health article a while back about how alot of cops juice. Now behind the blue curtain cops watch out for one another, but the dea is a different story. I’d prefer coops to juice but thats just me.[/quote]

One thing is with the shifts as long as they are ~ you don’t necessarily have the convenience of eating healthy all the time. Sometimes and a lot of times you only have whats available at the gas station or convenience store.

What I recommend to my friends in the force is prepping meals ahead of time and having 1-2 coolers in the trunk with prepared meals, sandwiches, snacks, drinks, shakes - That and of course making the time to workout.

But eating is the easiest way for an in-shape guy to start slipping and sliding. Those habits and the infrequent quality of the nutrition have repercussions overtime and can lead to a drop in quality of life.