T Nation

Police Intimidate Me

[quote]Phate89 wrote:
The police in America are fucking idiots.
Every other country i’ve been to in Europe that cops are chill.[/quote]

Europe has problem cops too.

Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Beat me to it!

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Phate89 wrote:
The police in America are fucking idiots.
Every other country i’ve been to in Europe that cops are chill.

Europe has problem cops too.[/quote]

But they act in another environment.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm[/quote]

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm [/quote]

I saw one cop throw a couple half hearted kicks. I am not sure what he was doing. I am sure I will see it more clearly on TV tonight.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.[/quote]

Sure, there are bad folks in every profession. The issue of “are the good or bad” leads to a pointless discussion. But the problem as I see it is the lack of accountability. I’m willing to bet that these guys get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.[/quote]

True. But plumbers don’t have the authority to beat me up. “Not always your friends” was a euphemism in case you missed it.

Power eventually gets abused. And from my stand, dealing with issues by throwing cops at it often turns out to be the worst possible solution.

I once went to Jack In The Box(about 4 years ago),but it was closed,so I was forced to order from the drive through.As I was ordering my food, A cop, from out of nowhere, Said,“Hey you son of a bitch better not be bothering these people for free food” I turned around And said, "Officer, I’m ordering food and I’m going to pay for it. He then gave me a 30 second stare and asked for I.D. I didn’t have an I.d I was only 15. He then asked me a bunch of stupid questions for like 10 minutes.

Questions like,
where did you get your shoes? and Did you cut you hair today? I think he wanted me to snap at him so he could arrest me. Then, he could win the poll they have at the station of, who could arrest more people in a night. Some cops can be dicks!!!

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.

Sure, there are bad folks in every profession. The issue of “are the good or bad” leads to a pointless discussion. But the problem as I see it is the lack of accountability. I’m willing to bet that these guys get nothing more than a slap on the wrist.[/quote]

Police are more accountable for their actions in the US than in most other countries. The US has so many lawyers, watchdog groups etc that things are not always easily brushed under the rug.

We recently discussed Amnesty International’s claim that Germany sweeps their police abuse under the rug.

We know the Muslim population in France burned thousands of cars claiming the police are too heavy handed.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.

True. But plumbers don’t have the authority to beat me up. “Not always your friends” was a euphemism in case you missed it.

Power eventually gets abused. And from my stand, dealing with issues by throwing cops at it often turns out to be the worst possible solution.[/quote]

Things would be great if we got rid of cops. Crime plus viglante justice.

I don’t think anyone is saying that a society with no police would be better.

What I am saying is that police officers face very few repercussions for abusing their authority. Even when in the rare cases where it’s caught on video, the officers are seldom dismissed. At worst, they get a suspension. Yes, in other countries, police often get away with murder. But why should we make comparisons with the worst the world has to offer instead of striving to improve our society?

[quote]lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.

True. But plumbers don’t have the authority to beat me up. “Not always your friends” was a euphemism in case you missed it.

Power eventually gets abused. And from my stand, dealing with issues by throwing cops at it often turns out to be the worst possible solution.[/quote]

Exactly. That’s the whole point. Police have such devastating power to ruin peoples lives that it’s unacceptable if there are any bad apples. The same goes for the other professionals in the legal system like prosecutors.

I would rather see a town have a small number of cops who all have master’s or PhD’s and are extremely educated, intelligent and upright human beings who make 200 grand a year than however many simpletons they have now.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Police are more accountable for their actions in the US than in most other countries. [/quote]

Sure. Compared to Mexico or Egypt, American cops are pretty accountable alright.

The executioners of Rodney King were “heavy handed”. The electrocution of Bouna and Zyed was accidental.

The claim, was that the French police discriminates racially (why you bring up religion, I don’t know) and geographically. That is, if you have dark skin and live in the “neuf trois” for example, presumption of innocence fades. And I can assure you that it’s easily substantiated.

[quote]conorh wrote:
lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.

True. But plumbers don’t have the authority to beat me up. “Not always your friends” was a euphemism in case you missed it.

Power eventually gets abused. And from my stand, dealing with issues by throwing cops at it often turns out to be the worst possible solution.

Exactly. That’s the whole point. Police have such devastating power to ruin peoples lives that it’s unacceptable if there are any bad apples. The same goes for the other professionals in the legal system like prosecutors.

I would rather see a town have a small number of cops who all have master’s or PhD’s and are extremely educated, intelligent and upright human beings who make 200 grand a year than however many simpletons they have now.
[/quote]

Little known fact: up until very recently, police forces would not hire anyone with an “unacceptably high” IQ. They felt that intelligent individuals would get bored very quickly, and/or would want to be promoted all the way up the ranks unreasonably fast. So they just didn’t hire smart cops.

To anyone that this offends, sorry, but it’s absolutely true. This was standard practice in many police forces in the US and Canada.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Police are more accountable for their actions in the US than in most other countries.

Sure. Compared to Mexico or Egypt, American cops are pretty accountable alright.

We know the Muslim population in France burned thousands of cars claiming the police are too heavy handed.

The executioners of Rodney King were “heavy handed”. The electrocution of Bouna and Zyed was accidental.
…[/quote]

Executioners of Rodney King? Did I mess something? He drunk drove the wrong way down a one way street at high speeds and attacked the cops. They beat the crap out of him and then gave him millions of dollars. When was he executed?

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
conorh wrote:
lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
Cops are not always your friends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7387755.stm

Not every individual in a group, profession, or organization, is always your friend. And like any of the above, the police also must hire persons of the human species to fill positions. And, even though police departments run detailed background checks, with many utilizing CVA/polygraph tests, bad apples will always make it through. It’s the human condition. Fortunately, or unfortunately, a bad mechanic is much more forgettable than a bad cop.

True. But plumbers don’t have the authority to beat me up. “Not always your friends” was a euphemism in case you missed it.

Power eventually gets abused. And from my stand, dealing with issues by throwing cops at it often turns out to be the worst possible solution.

Exactly. That’s the whole point. Police have such devastating power to ruin peoples lives that it’s unacceptable if there are any bad apples. The same goes for the other professionals in the legal system like prosecutors.

I would rather see a town have a small number of cops who all have master’s or PhD’s and are extremely educated, intelligent and upright human beings who make 200 grand a year than however many simpletons they have now.

Little known fact: up until very recently, police forces would not hire anyone with an “unacceptably high” IQ. They felt that intelligent individuals would get bored very quickly, and/or would want to be promoted all the way up the ranks unreasonably fast. So they just didn’t hire smart cops.

To anyone that this offends, sorry, but it’s absolutely true. This was standard practice in many police forces in the US and Canada.[/quote]

Education level and IQ are no indication of ability to act morally. There are countless examples in history of very smart individuals acting very immorally. Usually, they’re able to do much more harm because of their IQ.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
Education level and IQ are no indication of ability to act morally. There are countless examples in history of very smart individuals acting very immorally. Usually, they’re able to do much more harm because of their IQ.
[/quote]

IQ is the single best predictor of performance.

Higher IQ = Better cop

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:
Education level and IQ are no indication of ability to act morally. There are countless examples in history of very smart individuals acting very immorally. Usually, they’re able to do much more harm because of their IQ.

IQ is the single best predictor of performance.

Higher IQ = Better cop[/quote]

In a technical field, certainly. Police work isn’t necessarily technical, but it is plenty social. IQ is descriptive, not normative, and may or may not indicate good job performance, but work ethic and moral compass matter much more in a field like police work. It doesn’t take IQ to know right from wrong, unless you’re going to start arguing that lower IQ people are less moral than higher IQ people.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
lixy wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Police are more accountable for their actions in the US than in most other countries.

Sure. Compared to Mexico or Egypt, American cops are pretty accountable alright.

We know the Muslim population in France burned thousands of cars claiming the police are too heavy handed.

The executioners of Rodney King were “heavy handed”. The electrocution of Bouna and Zyed was accidental.

Executioners of Rodney King? Did I mess something? He drunk drove the wrong way down a one way street at high speeds and attacked the cops. They beat the crap out of him and then gave him millions of dollars. When was he executed?[/quote]

I view it as lynching. So yes, they were executioners!