Police Can Guess Whether Drivers Are Speeding

I am trying to find in a drivers hand book for either side? I can not find whether you must go the speed limit prior to the sign, at the sign, or just beyond the sign.

I am under the impression if you are going say 65 MPH and you see a sign down the road that says 45 MPH you must start to get to the speed limit before crossing the sign, so if you are going 68 and the 55 MPH sign is 30 feet away you are going to have to get on your breaks to get down to that speed pretty quickly. The other side of the sign when it increases to 65 from 45 you have to wait till you are at or past the sign to increase your speed to the 65 MPH.

Again I can not find on the internet anywhere to back up any of these findings. I have checked California’s, New York’s, Massachusetts, and Texas with no avail. The all basically say you must obey the posted speed limit. Seems like a lot of grey area.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Several years ago my wife got a speeding on the side street we lived on which was an unpaved road with potholes 8-12 inches deep and about as far apart for it’s whole length. He gave her a ticket for 39 in a 25 which is outrageous. She was in our 15 year old civic. There is no way to go even 25 on that street without destroying your car never mind 39. He testified that due to a malfunction the log was lost in his gun

We took pictures of the street and the car and asked the lady judge to believe anybody could go that fast in that car on that street and even maintain control, She tried first to get us to pay for less over. When we refused she went to impeding traffic and an even lower fine.

We were like, “what is this? Let’s make a deal?. The cop is saying she was going the specific speed of 39mph on this street. If she was, which even you are tacitly admitting is pretty tough to believe, we’ll pay the fine or let us go.”

We wound up giving in and paying the impeding traffic fine just to get it outta the way (I know).

All about money. They are not letting you outta there without getting SOMETHING.[/quote]

Ridiculous, not to mention the cops radar gun was obviously malfunctioning if it “deleted the log”. Sadly, most people (myself included) would just pay for the lower fine causing no points to be issued just to get it out of the way.

City parking tickets are another thing that really get me angry. It costs .25 for 7 minutes to park on a center city street in Philadelphia and many meters are maxed out at 2 hours. Pay several dollars to park for 2 hours, forget to refeed the machine and inevitably get a $41 parking ticket. Just enough to make you pay it so you don’t have to waste an entire day in the courtroom trying to fight it.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
<<< City parking tickets are another thing that really get me angry. It costs .25 for 7 minutes to park on a center city street in Philadelphia and many meters are maxed out at 2 hours. Pay several dollars to park for 2 hours, forget to refeed the machine and inevitably get a $41 parking ticket. Just enough to make you pay it so you don’t have to waste an entire day in the courtroom trying to fight it.[/quote]
Alright this is a classic. Maybe somebody can confirm whether this is still the case. When I lived in New York I drove deliveries for a pharmaceutical supplier. One of my stops once a month was the Empire State Building. Along 34th street were these like delivery areas and elevators where I had to drop their stuff off. I absolutely kid you not, I took photos and they were on our refrigerator and were lost when we moved.

On the wall are bolted steel vertical black and white rectangular signs stating “ALL DELIVERIES HERE”. Not 20 feet away on the street are no parking signs. Wadda ya supposed to do? Throw the boxes out the windindow as you drive by? Of course there were always 5 or 6 vehicles there anyway. Parking tickets in NYC are part of the budget. I got 3 to 6 a week and just put them on the warehouse foreman’s desk every Friday.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

Alright this is a classic. Maybe somebody can confirm whether this is still the case. When I lived in New York I drove deliveries for a pharmaceutical supplier. One of my stops once a month was the Empire State Building. Along 34th street were these like delivery areas and elevators where I had to drop their stuff off. I absolutely kid you not, I took photos and they were on our refrigerator and were lost when we moved.

On the wall are bolted steel vertical black and white rectangular signs stating “ALL DELIVERIES HERE”. Not 20 feet away on the street are no parking signs. Wadda ya supposed to do? Throw the boxes out the windindow as you drive by? Of course there were always 5 or 6 vehicles there anyway. Parking tickets in NYC are part of the budget. I got 3 to 6 a week and just put them on the warehouse foreman’s desk every Friday.[/quote]

I am sitting in my office lol.

I’m currently awaiting for a court date for supposedly going 84 in a 65. He claims I was clocked at 84 and 82. First of all, it was Monday morning on the Masspike, I know I was at 75mph (the flow of traffic in the left lane…all day long regardless of day of the week or time) Ive been flipped off going 75mph and had several people in a row swing around me because I’m going slow. Anyway I’m going down hill and I see the tip of a cop car behind a giant warning sign with cement barriers In front of it. I couldn’t even see the windows. So somehow he caught me on the busiest day of the week, full on morning rush, being tail gated with a mini van 30 feet in front of me. Twice. The angle at which he clocked me is more than odd. The weirdest thing was he basically ran up handed me the ticket and Ran away. I was stopped a year ago, so I learned proper behavior during a stop. I turned on my in car lights, put the keys on the dash and both hands on the wheel driving a nice family style car. He stood by the back window the whole time, said I clocked you at 82 and 84 then walked away. Came back said I reduced it and walked away. I tried to stop him to ask some questions…see the radar etc but he basically ran to his car.

It continues to shock and appall me the amount of police resources that are allocated to policing trivial traffic offences in my country.

Surely they have something better they could be doing? And they take it so seriously too. “Mate you were going 112 in a 100 zone” delivered like you’re a huge waste of their time. Can’t they use some bloody discretion and observe that it’s a 4-lane highway, deserted at 2 in the morning? I mean really, I can think of a pretty quick solution if I’m wasting his time…

[quote]Cameron_Phillips wrote:
<<< Surely they have something better they could be doing? >>>[/quote]
Absolutely not. Nemo has already been found.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

I got 68 in a 65. The “officer” tried to tell me that I was doing 68 in a 55, except I pointed out that the 55 sign was about 30 yards in front of me, meaning that I could not have been in the 55 zone yet.

Ignorant fuck.[/quote]

I dont know which state you are in, but most states speed zones do not start at the sign, but starts when an average person can see the sign. You have to begin to slow down to the posted speed when you can read the sign. If you claim you are blind you should not be driving. Also going 68 in a 65 is still speeding.

Did he give you a ticket or just a warning?[/quote]

When he flipped on his light and came across the highway from sitting in a parking lot talkin to a kid on a 4 wheeler, I was no where close to the 55mph sign. By the time I had pulled over, the sign was still at least 30 yards in front of me.

Did he give me a ticket? Ha, he was a redneck cop in middle of no where Arkansas who had to put up with a motorist who dared question authority (and yes, I was respectful when I questioned him). Of course I got a ticket.

“An unjust law is no law at all”

St Augustine (and many, many others)[/quote]

That’s why this law and so many others were created – they weren’t designed to enforce just laws. If so many laws are created that everyone is guilty of something, then each person is actually at the mercy of the government. That was the goal all along.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
<<< City parking tickets are another thing that really get me angry. It costs .25 for 7 minutes to park on a center city street in Philadelphia and many meters are maxed out at 2 hours. Pay several dollars to park for 2 hours, forget to refeed the machine and inevitably get a $41 parking ticket. Just enough to make you pay it so you don’t have to waste an entire day in the courtroom trying to fight it.[/quote]

On the wall are bolted steel vertical black and white rectangular signs stating “ALL DELIVERIES HERE”. Not 20 feet away on the street are no parking signs. Wadda ya supposed to do? Throw the boxes out the windindow as you drive by? Of course there were always 5 or 6 vehicles there anyway. Parking tickets in NYC are part of the budget. I got 3 to 6 a week and just put them on the warehouse foreman’s desk every Friday.[/quote]

Many years ago, I was taking a class at the local community college. They rented out the parking lot to have a carnival (fund raiser) there. The cops had a field day writing out tickets to students who parked on the streets by parking meters, which was the only remaining parking.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

“An unjust law is no law at all”

St Augustine (and many, many others)[/quote]

That’s why this law and so many others were created – they weren’t designed to enforce just laws. If so many laws are created that everyone is guilty of something, then each person is actually at the mercy of the government. That was the goal all along.[/quote]
I don’t know about ALL along, but I think this is correct. Viewed another way, every minute the weaker minded among us are not in trouble becomes the occasion for a sort of sub conscious gratitude toward the state.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I got 68 in a 65. The “officer” tried to tell me that I was doing 68 in a 55, except I pointed out that the 55 sign was about 30 yards in front of me, meaning that I could not have been in the 55 zone yet.

Ignorant fuck.[/quote]

I dont know which state you are in, but most states speed zones do not start at the sign, but starts when an average person can see the sign. You have to begin to slow down to the posted speed when you can read the sign. If you claim you are blind you should not be driving. Also going 68 in a 65 is still speeding.

Did he give you a ticket or just a warning?[/quote]

I am guessing if he was going 68, he wouldn’t have time to stop 30 feet in front of the speed limit sign.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
I am trying to find in a drivers hand book for either side? I can not find whether you must go the speed limit prior to the sign, at the sign, or just beyond the sign.

I am under the impression if you are going say 65 MPH and you see a sign down the road that says 45 MPH you must start to get to the speed limit before crossing the sign, so if you are going 68 and the 55 MPH sign is 30 feet away you are going to have to get on your breaks to get down to that speed pretty quickly. The other side of the sign when it increases to 65 from 45 you have to wait till you are at or past the sign to increase your speed to the 65 MPH.

Again I can not find on the internet anywhere to back up any of these findings. I have checked California’s, New York’s, Massachusetts, and Texas with no avail. The all basically say you must obey the posted speed limit. Seems like a lot of grey area.[/quote]

This is how I do it, once I pass the slower speed limit sign, I coast until I am at proper speed (+5 of speed limit), once I see a higher speed limit sign I get to five miles per hour above that as soon as I can.