T Nation

Police Can Guess Whether Drivers Are Speeding

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37779941
"A new warning to Michigan drivers going through Ohio.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled that police in Ohio can legally issue speeding tickets if they think a driver is speeding."

Uh-oh. So, if it looks like I am going too fast…and not that the person I am passing is going slow…In Ohio I just might be screwed.

That’s fucking retarded. I wonder if I’ll be able to guess if they’re wrong?

What a joke! Why don’t they just throw out the entire justice system - the boys in blue can just be the arbiters of guilt from here on out. Evidence schmevidence.

The problem I always had with speeding is that it’s not inherently bad. So fining people for it is basically punishing them before they commit the crime. Wouldn’t having extremely severe punishments for any crime caused by or worsened by speeding ultimately have exactly the same preemptive effect?

BULL FUCKING SHIT

I was in court one time and a pilot was accused of running a stop sign. He was busted from a trooper cam in the air. The guy goes before the judge and says “I’ve been a pilot for many many years. I have a ton of experience flying.” he presents the judge a shit load of documents laying out his case. “There is no way you can tell if someone runs a stop sign from the vantage point of an airplane. It’s impossible.”

The judge calls the trooper forward.

“I saw you do it.”

Judge: “you’re guilty. please pay the fine and court costs.”

This new law is bullshit. IMO.

edited for clarity, the pilot was on the ground driving when he got the ticket, the troopers were in a plane above him.

“An unjust law is no law at all”

St Augustine (and many, many others)

[quote]Cameron_Phillips wrote:
What a joke! Why don’t they just throw out the entire justice system - the boys in blue can just be the arbiters of guilt from here on out. Evidence schmevidence.

The problem I always had with speeding is that it’s not inherently bad. So fining people for it is basically punishing them before they commit the crime. Wouldn’t having extremely severe punishments for any crime caused by or worsened by speeding ultimately have exactly the same preemptive effect?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly.

Why? This is how police did it for years before radar guns were readily available. They are trained to do it. I see very few speeders being pulled over in recent times anyway.

[quote]BBriere wrote:
Why? This is how police did it for years before radar guns were readily available. They are trained to do it. I see very few speeders being pulled over in recent times anyway.[/quote]

I think the radar gun started to be used to give more legitimacy to the speeding ticket.

I am interested if the cops get to put what speed you are going, since most of the tickets I have seen/heard about lately saying something to the effect of “85 in a 65”. Will they now just read, “faster than they should have been.”

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]BBriere wrote:
Why? This is how police did it for years before radar guns were readily available. They are trained to do it. I see very few speeders being pulled over in recent times anyway.[/quote]

I think the radar gun started to be used to give more legitimacy to the speeding ticket.

I am interested if the cops get to put what speed you are going, since most of the tickets I have seen/heard about lately saying something to the effect of “85 in a 65”. Will they now just read, “faster than they should have been.”[/quote]

No, there will probably be an estimated speed limit. The police are trained to estimate how fast a car is going based on how fast it takes it to pass certain stationary objects. Think about it, it’s really no different than getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt.

Is there any technology that tells police you’re not wearing a seatbelt? It’s based on their observation so we just have to put our faith in the police that they aren’t just handing out tickets at random.

What an absurd comparison. The seatbelt only has two options: on or off. If it were about whether the car is actually moving at all or completely stationary - well then maybe it would be okay.

[quote]BBriere wrote:
at random. [/quote]

American troopers are notorious for that. I have gotten a few “going to fast” tickets where I was actually going below the speed limit.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]BBriere wrote:
at random. [/quote]

American troopers are notorious for that. I have gotten a few “going to fast” tickets where I was actually going below the speed limit.[/quote]

I got 68 in a 65. The “officer” tried to tell me that I was doing 68 in a 55, except I pointed out that the 55 sign was about 30 yards in front of me, meaning that I could not have been in the 55 zone yet.

Ignorant fuck.

Speeding fines: blatant, heinous fundraising.

It’s called a speed LIMIT. As in LIMIT. So even though its common practice to exceed it, you can hardly cry about it when you do get ticketed. Go invest in a quality laser/radar detector and jammer kit and voila, your ticket proof.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Several years ago my wife got a speeding on the side street we lived on which was an unpaved road with potholes 8-12 inches deep and about as far apart for it’s whole length. He gave her a ticket for 39 in a 25 which is outrageous. She was in our 15 year old civic. There is no way to go even 25 on that street without destroying your car never mind 39. He testified that due to a malfunction the log was lost in his gun

We took pictures of the street and the car and asked the lady judge to believe anybody could go that fast in that car on that street and even maintain control, She tried first to get us to pay for less over. When we refused she went to impeding traffic and an even lower fine.

We were like, “what is this? Let’s make a deal?. The cop is saying she was going the specific speed of 39mph on this street. If she was, which even you are tacitly admitting is pretty tough to believe, we’ll pay the fine or let us go.”

We wound up giving in and paying the impeding traffic fine just to get it outta the way (I know).

All about money. They are not letting you outta there without getting SOMETHING.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

I got 68 in a 65. The “officer” tried to tell me that I was doing 68 in a 55, except I pointed out that the 55 sign was about 30 yards in front of me, meaning that I could not have been in the 55 zone yet.

Ignorant fuck.[/quote]

I dont know which state you are in, but most states speed zones do not start at the sign, but starts when an average person can see the sign. You have to begin to slow down to the posted speed when you can read the sign. If you claim you are blind you should not be driving. Also going 68 in a 65 is still speeding.

Did he give you a ticket or just a warning?