T Nation

Police Academy & Working Out

I was wondering if anyone would know if it is possible to do any weights while in the academy. I’ve talked to a few people that just got out and they said no. Has anyone else gone through this?

[quote]quietpro wrote:
I was wondering if anyone would know if it is possible to do any weights while in the academy. I’ve talked to a few people that just got out and they said no. Has anyone else gone through this?[/quote]

That could depend on location of which state academy you’re training for.

What state are you working in?

Even with that…with all the studying and BT that you’ll be doing…it maybe hard to find time to go out on your own.

[quote]IronRaider wrote:

That could depend on location of which state academy you’re training for.

What state are you working in?

Even with that…with all the studying and BT that you’ll be doing…it maybe hard to find time to go out on your own.
[/quote]

I agree… it definitely depends on what kind of academy you’re participating in, if it’s resident or commuter. Unfortunately, weight traning doesn’t seem to be focused on nearly as much as the old stand-bys, pushups, situps, and running. I’d say, just do your best, get a workout in here and there when you can, and beyond that, rely on the physical training to keep you in shape until you graduate and can get back into a more intense workout plan.

Thanks for replying. I was trying to stay away from naming my location but it is a high stress commuter academy. Times are from around 05:30-1800 mon-fri. Most weekends are days off. I just want to find a way not to lose all my hard work.

I’ve been on the job for 15 years. When I was in the academy, our PT Instructor was very much into running. We were running 8-9 miles per day, 5 days a week, by the end of the academy. I tried to lift after we got out but it just didn’t work out. Between the long days, PT and drill in the morning, studying, spit-shining shoes, etc., you’re better off getting some rest. Hit the weights hard after graduation. Good luck!

[quote]Sarge131 wrote:
I’ve been on the job for 15 years. When I was in the academy, our PT Instructor was very much into running. We were running 8-9 miles per day, 5 days a week, by the end of the academy. I tried to lift after we got out but it just didn’t work out. Between the long days, PT and drill in the morning, studying, spit-shining shoes, etc., you’re better off getting some rest. Hit the weights hard after graduation. Good luck![/quote]

I concur…they’ll be plenty of time to make up for lost time when you’re back pounding the street. Of course that’ll depend on how much OT you want to pick up.

[quote]quietpro wrote:
Thanks for replying. I was trying to stay away from naming my location but it is a high stress commuter academy. Times are from around 05:30-1800 mon-fri. Most weekends are days off. I just want to find a way not to lose all my hard work.[/quote]

If you have weekends off for the most part try a full-body workout on Saturday morning. With that and the PT you shouldn’t lose much.

When I went, we started out doing a high volume of PT. But pretty soon, things leveled off and we only PT’ed every other day. If you have a similar experience, I would recommend trying Chad Waterbury’s Next Big Three program or something similar. It’s a quick, heavy workout that will help you keep your LBM and strength until you can get back to a more balance routine.

To Sarge and everyone else that has been a cadet in an academy that responded thanks for your help. I might just have enough time to do a total body workout on saturdays but other than that it’s all studying LD’s looking sharp and practicing running with my baton in front of me. Thanks again!

Have a look at CT’s “Part Time Beast” workout. If you can squeeze one workout into the week and do the other on the weekend you should maintain strength and size, although all that running will definitely be a factor.