[quote]GreatAjax wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

The female lions are the more dangerous anyway.[/quote]

Completely false.[/quote]

So why are they the hunters of their prides?

[/quote]

Analogy:

Men are better chefs than women. But you will often see women in the kitchen making sandwhiches.[/quote]

That doesn’t make any sense.

A male lion is useless. He’s the equivalent to a dude who lives with a bunch of women and sponges off them.

Look at what makes a lion pride

40 total

3 males

1 old
1 young
1 retard

The rest are female. If males are more dangerous, survival of the pride would require more males.
[/quote]

if im not mistaken, the females are just quicker and id imagine a bit smarter since they hunt together. but the males’ role in their pride is to protect them from outsiders. whats more, male lions will find other prides and, if possible, they will try to kill that pride’s male lions.

if they succeed they will kill all the cubs and proceed to re-impregnate the females, thereby taking complete control of the pride. i think that says a lot.[/quote]

Ooooo

A male lion can eat babies and sneak attack ther males of other prides…

So bad ass. [/quote]
No, the point is the male lion dominates the population. They can’t sneak attack. The male marks the territorial limits regularly, and would notice the scent of unfamiliar or outside males, who wouldn’t enter the territory until fully prepped and having assessed the current male. Both parties are pretty much prepared leading up to the actual confrontation.

The professional hunters in Africa say that hunting a lioness is a lot more dangerous than hunting a male lion, since the lioness will stalk you while you’re stalking it.

Female or male would both get pwned by a polar bear though, that’s where my money would be

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Female or male would both get pwned by a polar bear though, that’s where my money would be[/quote]
The lion doesn’t have a chance

Well lions can’t do shit solo against a wildebeast [/quote]
Mmmmmmm wildebeast…

Well lions can’t do shit solo against a wildebeest [/quote]
First, we have to acknowledge that the typical prey items of lions are much larger than the lions themselves. Second, we have to acknowledge the hunting style of the lions. Thy hunt with a chase and tackle approach which, while terrible when working solo, is very effective groups. Unless the prey is smaller than lioness, it will be taken down upon the initial hit. Hence why every lion hunt is essentially a battle of attrition. Looking an animal like a tiger that uses an ambush approach, it is easier to take down larger prey because before the prey item can even react, the tiger has already built the necessary momentum to take the animal down right out of the box.

Male lions, in a sort of ‘cage match’ are far more dangerous than females. Go watch animal planet for 1 day, watch a lioness secure a kill. While she sits there watching over it, scavengers will actually circle and make little runs at the carcass. When a male lion shows up, they scamper off to a safe distance a few hundred meters away, or just leave completely. It’s pretty telling behavior that the other animals in the grassland environment clearly have more ‘respect’ for the male lion.

Also, male lions will absolutely be present for kills of larger prey, such as hippos and elephants. Male lions that are solo looking for a pride to dominate are also plenty capable of hunting for themselves, even if that ‘hunting’ involves being a bully over carcasses(a behavior that is actually indicative of being far more dangerous in a ‘fight’).

All that said, a polar bear would wreck any lion. For that matter, most tigers would kill a lion as well(they’re actually a decent amount larger). Size matters so much that your larger ‘non-predators’(hippos, elephants) end up being some of the most dangerous animals on the planet. Turns out the animal kingdom doesn’t have a whole lot of refined fighting technique to overcome mass and power.

Tiger is a better choice than lion, make it a siberian tiger and they can tangle in the snow.

Rhino v polar bear could be interesting.

[quote]roguevampire wrote:

Well lions can’t do shit solo against a wildebeast so it would have no chance against a polar bear in a fight.

Dead wrong. the female lion is not the more dangerous. the male lion is over 100lbs heavier. Don’t confuse the fact that the female does most of the hunting and that makes them more dangerous. remember, the females hunt together. and there are always alot more females than males in the pride.

They simply have different jobs. Male tigers hunt, right? cause they live solitary lives. and the male bengal tiger is just as big if not bigger than the male lion is. [/quote]

There are reports of solitary male lions surviving and hunting on their own so male lions don’t need the female lions to hunt for them, but in a pride situation that’s how it works. Also, male lions are their to protect the pride from other males and other predators. Hyena’s will fight with female lions but will avoid male lions, unless they outnumber him by alot.

Here in Kenya theres loads of wildlife. There is a tribe callled the Maasai. They kill lions as a rite of passage with nothing but a spear or sharp knife. Sometimes they also get up real close to one and grab its tail.
Here them taking meat from lions BBC - Men stealing meat from lions. - YouTube

You will never see that happen with a polar bear. Ever. To kill a polar bear you need firepower assuming you haven’t tranquilized it.

Conclusion; it’d certainly take more than one lion to injure let alone kill a polar bear.

A siberian tiger is a vicious killer. That would be a close match between that and a polar bear.

[quote]red04 wrote:
Male lions, in a sort of ‘cage match’ are far more dangerous than females. Go watch animal planet for 1 day, watch a lioness secure a kill. While she sits there watching over it, scavengers will actually circle and make little runs at the carcass. When a male lion shows up, they scamper off to a safe distance a few hundred meters away, or just leave completely. It’s pretty telling behavior that the other animals in the grassland environment clearly have more ‘respect’ for the male lion.

Also, male lions will absolutely be present for kills of larger prey, such as hippos and elephants. Male lions that are solo looking for a pride to dominate are also plenty capable of hunting for themselves, even if that ‘hunting’ involves being a bully over carcasses(a behavior that is actually indicative of being far more dangerous in a ‘fight’).

All that said, a polar bear would wreck any lion. For that matter, most tigers would kill a lion as well(they’re actually a decent amount larger). Size matters so much that your larger ‘non-predators’(hippos, elephants) end up being some of the most dangerous animals on the planet. Turns out the animal kingdom doesn’t have a whole lot of refined fighting technique to overcome mass and power.[/quote]

This.

Typically, the cats don’t like long, drawn out fights, because they don’t want to get injuries that will hamper their hunting.

Polar bears have thick hide and pure power. They will outlast a lion, easily.

These threads are dumb…and yet, here I am…

[quote]lumbahjack wrote:
Here in Kenya theres loads of wildlife. There is a tribe callled the Maasai. They kill lions as a rite of passage with nothing but a spear or sharp knife. Sometimes they also get up real close to one and grab its tail.
Here them taking meat from lions BBC - Men stealing meat from lions. - YouTube

You will never see that happen with a polar bear. Ever. To kill a polar bear you need firepower assuming you haven’t tranquilized it.

Conclusion; it’d certainly take more than one lion to injure let alone kill a polar bear.[/quote]

Obviously it’s because the lions don’t know any better, if they did, those 3 guys would be dead. That’s why animals that lose fear of humans are put down, for humans sake. Most animals are more than capable of killing humans. I had a german shepherd, and no doubt, when he was in his prime and if he just went wild and berserk, would easily kill an unarmed man. It just was ignorant of it’s own strength compared to that of a human. Likewise with the lion.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
Tiger is a better choice than lion, make it a siberian tiger and they can tangle in the snow.

Rhino v polar bear could be interesting.[/quote]
Both of those especially the second one sound equally as bad if not worse.

Squirrel vs chipmunk - who wins?

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
Squirrel vs chipmunk - who wins?[/quote]

Chipmunks are the Honey Badgers of the rodent world.

Absolutely vicious.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
From watching cartoons, I have learned that while chipmunks can sing, squirrels can fly and watch moose pull rabbits out of hats. Flying wins?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Completely false.[/quote]

So why are they the hunters of their prides?

[/quote]

Analogy:

Men are better chefs than women. But you will often see women in the kitchen making sandwhiches.[/quote]

That doesn’t make any sense.

A male lion is useless. He’s the equivalent to a dude who lives with a bunch of women and sponges off them.

Look at what makes a lion pride

40 total

3 males

1 old
1 young
1 retard

The rest are female. If males are more dangerous, survival of the pride would require more males.
[/quote]

What if the lion takes BJJ classes at the local YMCA and wears Tapout and Affliction t-shirts?

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

Chipmunks are the Honey Badgers of the rodent world.

Absolutely vicious.[/quote]

I checked out badgers on wikipedia to make sure they’re not actually rodents. Looks like your simile works.

First of all, if you watched enough documentaries about wild African animals you already know that male lions are way bigger and heavier than female lions, and there is no comparison here at all… in real wildlife, when hunting for big buffalos, one male lion usually has a power of three female lions… I was surprised to see the power advantage of a male lion in comparison with a female…

OK, tiger isn’t really a competitor for lion here, not only because, to my surprise, a lion male looks noticeably bigger than a bengal tiger male, but also because long time ago I have seen a quite old 70’s wildlife doc when in one reservuar Indian bengal tiger faced African lion, and actually also to my surprise, tiger did’t even start the fight… but just slowly, with dignity, walked backwards, and then, not in a hurry, but run away… not like leopards or cheetahs do, but quite similar:)…

but OK, now that polar bear… hey man, if there were possible some neutral conditions for them to meet - not too called for a lion, and not too hot for a bear… that would be an interesting meet, because both of them - male lions, and male bears are the animals that never give up, and never run away… both have fighting style advantages over each other…

most typically in such situation, a lion would jump from the distance, this way using all the momentum of his body weight, and with all the extremely strong and sharp guns attack the enemy… a bear can’t jump like a lion, but I suspect he could use his paws and claws even more effectively, and he has thicker skin with fur for protection… but lions have stronger bite measured in atmospheres than polar bears… but you know what, if I had to put my money, I would put on lion…

I have been watching lots of doc about wild animals, reading literature… there is something more to the lion than just those statistics of measurements and so on… on paper… Male lions are created to fight and not only to hunt… that legendary aggressive lion’s look at the enemy alone is very unique and not to be underestimated… To me, lion still remains the king. Polar bear is even stronger than lion, but in my opinion lion would be better suited for this particular type of fight.