Poisoning Geese (Really Off Topic)

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Goose or Anti-Freeze? I’ve never had Anti-freeze, but one of the main ingredients is chemically very simalar to sugar, especially in taste and smell. Except it kills you.

I’m tempted.[/quote]

That’ll earn you a Darwin Award.

The man is just trying to defend his territory–I doubt the geese would much like their space to be intruded upon. It’s incredibly narcissistic to think you’re so much better than the geese that you have a moral obligation to not destroy them.

The geese are just as good as you are, so go kill the bastards without predjudice.

You mean with prejudice?

Aye for the dog.

Who really cares about fish and game laws, if you want to kill the shitters and leave them there to die and for the coyotes to get them, it’s your property who’s going to stop you.

Also, who cares about the neighbors if you want take a shot gun and run around in a ATV blasting the turds off with a shotty on your hip, that’s your right. If they want to complain, invite them over during goose hunting time.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
Goose or Anti-Freeze? I’ve never had Anti-freeze, but one of the main ingredients is chemically very simalar to sugar, especially in taste and smell. Except it kills you.

I’m tempted.[/quote]

mmm antifreeze.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Get a dog. German Shepherds and Border Collies are both used for this. I’m sure you could use any high energy, easily trained dog. i.e. any shepherd, collie, retriever, or a bird dog not used for hunting.

Everybody wins. The geese stay under control, you don’t have to kill them or break any laws, and the dog thinks it has the best job in the world.

It will take some more time than other methods, but is also the most permanent. If you kill them, you will just get another flock next year.

EDIT: I should clarify, teach the dog to chase them, not kill them. You also have to teach the dog boundaries.[/quote]

I wouldn’t advise someone who wants to poison birds with coolant, to become a dog owner. Dogs deserve better.

i would never advocate killing animals, but geese are vile, filthy creatures. i like the dog idea, that would probabaly solve your problem in a more humane way.

[quote]74 wrote:
Anyone have an effective homemade poison for geese? Going to attempt antifreeze in small containers but wondered if there was anything else. Have quite a few on my property. Have tried .22LR subsonic but they are too noisy for the neighborhood. Will be getting .22 shorts today to see if less noisy.

Thanks for any help.[/quote]

Keep the barrel inside the house. You’ll barely hear it outside, with the shorts. I hope you know that geese mate for life. If you kill one, the mate won’t leave the area.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Get a dog. German Shepherds and Border Collies are both used for this. I’m sure you could use any high energy, easily trained dog. i.e. any shepherd, collie, retriever, or a bird dog not used for hunting.

Everybody wins. The geese stay under control, you don’t have to kill them or break any laws, and the dog thinks it has the best job in the world.

It will take some more time than other methods, but is also the most permanent. If you kill them, you will just get another flock next year.

EDIT: I should clarify, teach the dog to chase them, not kill them. You also have to teach the dog boundaries.[/quote]

But then you need to get something to kill the dog. A lion maybe?

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
tedro wrote:

EDIT: I should clarify, teach the dog to chase them, not kill them. You also have to teach the dog boundaries.

But then you need to get something to kill the dog. A lion maybe?[/quote]

How will you get rid of the lion?

[quote]SeanT wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:
tedro wrote:

EDIT: I should clarify, teach the dog to chase them, not kill them. You also have to teach the dog boundaries.

[/quote]

Anaconda.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Contrl wrote:
You’re trying to poison geese because they keep shitting on your property?

I should come over there and shit on your couch.

Because you want to be poisoned?

I agree with you, I had to refrain myself from lashing out. Nothing wrong with putting human rights above those of animals, but there is a common sense line that shouldn’t be crossed.

Poisoning Geese after you have provided them with a nice habitat because they inconvenience you crosses that line.[/quote]

I don’t work to provide a habitat for the geese, I work to provide a habitat for my family. It is very easy to judge when you do not have the problem at hand. The geese eat up to 4 pounds of grass per day and shit every 6 minutes. As I am sure you can imagine the problem is overwhelming.

[quote]Contrl wrote:

I should come over there and shit on your couch.[/quote]

Please do, and I will have the Sig .357 we also own shoved so far up your ass I will be able to help you with any cavities you may have.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
SeanT wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:
tedro wrote:

Anaconda.[/quote]

Jon Voight taught us a valuable lesson: Nothing stands in the way of an anaconda. Except maybe a tag-team between Ice Cube and J Lo.

[quote]74 wrote:
tedro wrote:
Contrl wrote:

I should come over there and shit on your couch.

Because you want to be poisoned?

I agree with you, I had to refrain myself from lashing out. Nothing wrong with putting human rights above those of animals, but there is a common sense line that shouldn’t be crossed.

Poisoning Geese after you have provided them with a nice habitat because they inconvenience you crosses that line.

I don’t work to provide a habitat for the geese, I work to provide a habitat for my family. It is very easy to judge when you do not have the problem at hand. The geese eat up to 4 pounds of grass per day and shit every 6 minutes. As I am sure you can imagine the problem is overwhelming.
[/quote]

Lots of things are overwhelming to incompetent men.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
i would never advocate killing animals, but geese are vile, filthy creatures. i like the dog idea, that would probabaly solve your problem in a more humane way.[/quote]

Someone who knows what they are talking about. Geese are possibly the filthiest animals known. Their shit carries countless diseases and they destroy everything they cross.

[quote]animalmj wrote:
74 wrote:
Anyone have an effective homemade poison for geese? Going to attempt antifreeze in small containers but wondered if there was anything else. Have quite a few on my property. Have tried .22LR subsonic but they are too noisy for the neighborhood. Will be getting .22 shorts today to see if less noisy.

Thanks for any help.

Keep the barrel inside the house. You’ll barely hear it outside, with the shorts. I hope you know that geese mate for life. If you kill one, the mate won’t leave the area.

[/quote]

This is what I have been told regarding the shorts. I don’t mind if one stays and the other is dead, at least they won’t be reproducing. I counted 50 baby geese this afternoon on the pond.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
I wouldn’t kill the geese if I were you. What have they done to you? Unless they, say, attacked you (which is quite plausible, they are very protective of their young), I don’t think it’s proper of you to kill the geese.

Surely there is something you can do that doesn’t involve taking their lives simply because they roam around.[/quote]

Communities thin deer herds all the time so why not geese? Both carry diseases and decrease property values with their destruction. Why are the geese so much more loveable?

Everyone is the perfect animal lover until the problem shows up in your backyard. As I said, counted 50 baby geese today.

[quote]74 wrote:
Communities thin deer herds all the time so why not geese? Both carry diseases and decrease property values with their destruction. Why are the geese so much more loveable?

Everyone is the perfect animal lover until the problem shows up in your backyard. As I said, counted 50 baby geese today. [/quote]

I’m by no means the perfect animal lover, and trust me, I can’t stand geese. However, I’ve had animal problems of my own to deal with (albeit, not geese, I’ll give you that). And about the deer, I would assume that the herd thinners at least eat the deer (venison owns). I will say this though: if the geese pose a threat to your family, then you have a right to protection.

So, I guess I’ve become more empathetic. If there’s a clear and present danger to you or your family or I guess property, then the situation requires the doctor to prescribe a lead pill (euphemism for shooting, for those that don’t get it). Once you dispose of them, take care of their bodies (do something to ensure that it’s not a mess all over the place).

Muskrat traps in 18" of water with a pile of corn on it. Quick and relatively painless.

22 shorts are not the answer. Geese are tough and have a small kill zone. You will have a good chance of wounding one.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
You mean with prejudice?

Aye for the dog.

Who really cares about fish and game laws, if you want to kill the shitters and leave them there to die and for the coyotes to get them, it’s your property who’s going to stop you.

Also, who cares about the neighbors if you want take a shot gun and run around in a ATV blasting the turds off with a shotty on your hip, that’s your right. If they want to complain, invite them over during goose hunting time.[/quote]

Then go Cheney on their asses!