Poisoning Geese (Really Off Topic)

Anyone have an effective homemade poison for geese? Going to attempt antifreeze in small containers but wondered if there was anything else. Have quite a few on my property. Have tried .22LR subsonic but they are too noisy for the neighborhood. Will be getting .22 shorts today to see if less noisy.

Thanks for any help.

Why not call some animal society to get rid of them?

Is that legal?

[quote]rsg wrote:
Why not call some animal society to get rid of them?[/quote]

too expensive

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Is that legal?[/quote]

Nope, migratory birds are a big no no. And antifreeze is a fucked up cruel way to die. With that being said I believe it only kills mammals, could be wrong though.

How about a motion sensing sprinkler? Much cheaper than the fine.

http://www.graystonecreations.com/critter_control.htm

Get a dog. German Shepherds and Border Collies are both used for this. I’m sure you could use any high energy, easily trained dog. i.e. any shepherd, collie, retriever, or a bird dog not used for hunting.

Everybody wins. The geese stay under control, you don’t have to kill them or break any laws, and the dog thinks it has the best job in the world.

It will take some more time than other methods, but is also the most permanent. If you kill them, you will just get another flock next year.

EDIT: I should clarify, teach the dog to chase them, not kill them. You also have to teach the dog boundaries.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Is that legal?[/quote]

Yes and no, the gov. has relaxed the protection that geese are provided under the migratory bird act (funny, they don’t migrate anywhere). As they say it’s only illegal if you get caught.

Trust me, I’ve been tempted. If I would have done it, I probably would have killed the hawk that I got to witness take out one of the geese. I’ve never cheered for a pro sports team as hard as I cheered for that hawk.

http://www.canadageese.org/nlcontrol.html

Dogs work well.

I second the dog idea. Maybe you could rent one from a dog rental outlet.

If you shoot one, at least have the decency to eat it. Also, dogs and cats tend to be attracted to anti-freeze because it tastes like cool-aid, so unless you really want to piss off the neighbors, don’t use it.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Get a dog. German Shepherds and Border Collies are both used for this. I’m sure you could use any high energy, easily trained dog. i.e. any shepherd, collie, retriever, or a bird dog not used for hunting.

Everybody wins. The geese stay under control, you don’t have to kill them or break any laws, and the dog thinks it has the best job in the world.

It will take some more time than other methods, but is also the most permanent. If you kill them, you will just get another flock next year.

EDIT: I should clarify, teach the dog to chase them, not kill them. You also have to teach the dog boundaries.[/quote]

Also have to teach a dog to shit in a specific area, as I would be replacing goose shit with dog shit. Although there would be a lot less of the dog shit!!!

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Trust me, I’ve been tempted. If I would have done it, I probably would have killed the hawk that I got to witness take out one of the geese. I’ve never cheered for a pro sports team as hard as I cheered for that hawk.

http://www.canadageese.org/nlcontrol.html

Dogs work well.[/quote]

thanks for the link, appreciate the info,

[quote]Testy1 wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
Is that legal?

Nope, migratory birds are a big no no. And antifreeze is a fucked up cruel way to die. With that being said I believe it only kills mammals, could be wrong though.

How about a motion sensing sprinkler? Much cheaper than the fine.

http://www.graystonecreations.com/critter_control.htm

[/quote]

thanks for the link, appreciate the info,

have seen these other places, always wondered how well they worked?

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
If you shoot one, at least have the decency to eat it. Also, dogs and cats tend to be attracted to anti-freeze because it tastes like cool-aid, so unless you really want to piss off the neighbors, don’t use it.[/quote]

how many calories does it have??

just kidding.
p.s. How do you know what it tastes like?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
If you shoot one, at least have the decency to eat it. Also, dogs and cats tend to be attracted to anti-freeze because it tastes like cool-aid, so unless you really want to piss off the neighbors, don’t use it.

just kidding.
p.s. How do you know what it tastes like?[/quote]

I was told by my landscaper to kill them right before they lose their feathers and they are very TASTY!!!

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

just kidding.
p.s. How do you know what it tastes like?[/quote]

Goose or Anti-Freeze? I’ve never had Anti-freeze, but one of the main ingredients is chemically very simalar to sugar, especially in taste and smell. Except it kills you.

I had goose once, but I don’t remember the taste specifically. However it is water fowl, which is basically all dark meat, with extra fatty skin. If you’ve ever had roasted duck, you know the crispy skin is the most delicious thing ever. Definately AD food.

You’re trying to poison geese because they keep shitting on your property?

I should come over there and shit on your couch.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
You’re trying to poison geese because they keep shitting on your property?

I should come over there and shit on your couch.[/quote]

Because you want to be poisoned?

I agree with you, I had to refrain myself from lashing out. Nothing wrong with putting human rights above those of animals, but there is a common sense line that shouldn’t be crossed.

Poisoning Geese after you have provided them with a nice habitat because they inconvenience you crosses that line.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Goose or Anti-Freeze? I’ve never had Anti-freeze, but one of the main ingredients is chemically very simalar to sugar, especially in taste and smell. Except it kills you.
[/quote]

I’m tempted.

I wouldn’t kill the geese if I were you. What have they done to you? Unless they, say, attacked you (which is quite plausible, they are very protective of their young), I don’t think it’s proper of you to kill the geese.

Surely there is something you can do that doesn’t involve taking their lives simply because they roam around.