Poisoning by Eating 3 Cans of Tuna Per Week?

I tend to shy away from eating fish because of all the articles i’ve read about it leading to heavy metal poisoning, but im pretty broke at the moment so don’t really have a choice.

I wish someone would find me some peer reviewed medical studies that directly linked any ill effects of consuming canned tuna or fish oil in healthy adult males.

You’d think there was an epidemic.

Aren’t the people who promote ‘toxic tuna’ the same people who promote or believe that everyone should eat fuckloads of corn flakes, grain cereal, bread?

Eggs get a bad rap by the same folks.

If the tuna myth were true, wouldn’t a specialized population like “BODYBUILDERS”, who theoretically consume larger quantities of canned tuna than the general population (my hypothesis) have epidemic proportions of mercury or toxin poisoning?

I have seen news reports on people that ate tuna daily and had adverse effects. This one guy had shaky hands, for instance. However, he was fairly thin so his body probably couldn’t handle as much mercury as others could.

I eat one can a week, but I eat other canned fish too. However, the other ones I eat are lower on the food chain and therefore, have less contaminants in them. Try eating more sardines and herring.

I do believe the eggs/cholesterol studies were funded by the cereal board. Now isn’t that funny?

Now we need some insulin resistance studies on grains conducted by the meat lobby

I’m in trouble then because ive been eating like two cans a day for close to 6 years…no joke. rut ro

[quote]Digity wrote:
I have seen news reports on people that ate tuna daily and had adverse effects.[/quote]

And I’ve seen news reports about guys who took steroids, turned into champion athletes without any hard work, and turned into psychotic wife-beaters any time there wasn’t a camera in the room. Nothing like the quality fact-checking we get from the American news media.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:
I do believe the eggs/cholesterol studies were funded by the cereal board. Now isn’t that funny?[/quote]

A little bit, yes. I won’t lie, I giggled just now.

Naw, I’m broke and have gone with 5 cans a week…I’m still kickin…

pffft

Amateurs.

At one point, I was subsisting on two dozen eggs, 14 cans of tuna, a bag of Wal-Mart boneless chicken breast, and a few bags of carrots and tomatoes, per week.

Do I suggest 14 cans of tuna? Hell, no. That sucks ass. I would suggest, if you’re healthy, eat what makes sense for your goals.

I’ve been eating 4 cans per day for the past month. I’m still alive. Broke ass hell but alive and not losing my ass.

[quote]cheeta wrote:
Same here, gone through so mutch caned tuna per week that the guy at register asked me if I was stocking up on canned food and prepering for world war III. So I think youll be alright. [/quote]

I had the lady at the register ask, after a month or so of constant fairly large scale tuna buying, wether I’d bought several cats recently.

I ate so much tuna… Oh wait this is turning into a contest of how much tuna we eat right?

check back with me if you get any mercury poisoning then maybe we’d have more reason to fear the canned fish.

Remember, for every can of tuna you eat which may possibly be deter mental to your health. Think “for the good of the colony”.

The ‘I eat X cans tuna/day and I’m still alive’ argument shows a misunderstanding of what mercury exposure/poisoning is. In fact, its much like saying ‘I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes/day and I’m still alive’. However, it would actually be quite difficult to consume enough tuna to reach the exposure levels necessary to start seeing symptoms of poisoning.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I wish someone would find me some peer reviewed medical studies that directly linked any ill effects of consuming canned tuna or fish oil in healthy adult males.

You’d think there was an epidemic.

Aren’t the people who promote ‘toxic tuna’ the same people who promote or believe that everyone should eat fuckloads of corn flakes, grain cereal, bread?

Eggs get a bad rap by the same folks.

If the tuna myth were true, wouldn’t a specialized population like “BODYBUILDERS”, who theoretically consume larger quantities of canned tuna than the general population (my hypothesis) have epidemic proportions of mercury or toxin poisoning?
[/quote]

Mercury is a whole heck of a lot easier to study than insulin or cholesterol. Our bodies don’t make it, don’t require it to live, and don’t get rid of it very well. You eat enough and you’ll have problems.

But yeah, the FDA warnings probably have a huge safety factor built in.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
The ‘I eat X cans tuna/day and I’m still alive’ argument shows a misunderstanding of what mercury exposure/poisoning is. In fact, its much like saying ‘I smoke 2 packs of cigarettes/day and I’m still alive’. However, it would actually be quite difficult to consume enough tuna to reach the exposure levels necessary to start seeing symptoms of poisoning.[/quote]

Son of a bitch just took exactly what I was going to say.

Well, there goes my moment…

sniffle

Worse case scenario all these tuna eaters turn into zombies and we’ll have to rename the site to www.z-nation.com.

In prep for one of my shows, I ate 12 cans of tuna/day, seven days a week, for four weeks. Never had any problems, except I really don’t like tuna anymore.

-M

You won’t get acute symptoms, but you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think storing more and more mercury in your body won’t have health effects in the future.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Mercury is a whole heck of a lot easier to study than insulin or cholesterol. Our bodies don’t make it, don’t require it to live, and don’t get rid of it very well. You eat enough and you’ll have problems.
[/quote]

This is exactly my point.

Given the relative ease of detecting mercury poisoning, the recycle rates in the body, the amount of tuna consumed annually, and the “conventional wisdom” that eating a lot of tuna (or other certain finfish) is so bad, you’d expect to see volumes of data supporting the notion.