Poisoned (Floxed) by Ciprofloxacin Antibiotic. Is TRT a Good Option for Me?

So I got my labs back from yesterday, here are the values.

Thyroid

TSH - 0.66 mU/L [ 0.3 - 4.2 ]

Free T4 - 0,8 ng/dL (0.61-1.12 ng/dL)

T3 - 1.0 µg/L [ 0,7 - 2 ]

Free T3 - 3,3 ng/L [ 2,1 - 4,4 ]

Thyroglobulin Antibodies (TgAb) - <15 UI/mL [ < 60 ]

Thyroid peroxidase (TPO) - 0,6 UI/mL [ < 9 ]

Cortisol ü 12,56 µg/dL [ 5 - 23 ]

Sex Hormones

Testosterone - 3,66 ng/mL [ 2,6 - 10 ]

17 beta Estradiol - < 15 pg/mL

C Reactive Protein - 1,00 mg/L [ < 5 ]

Interestingly, my Free T3 looks pretty good on a whole…open to thoughts and suggestions here though!

I’d go straight to TRT.

1 Like

Think the same thing funnily…

The weird thing is, regardless of all that is has went on the past few months I don’t consider myself to be depressed, anxious or particularly low energy. I don’t really have “fatigue” per say and usually wake up refreshed. How can this be explained? haha

My guess.
These are not bad enough numbers to give you those symptoms.
I believe in US terms your TT is 457ng/dL most don’t start feeling low T until they go under 300.
17-BETA ESTRADIOL - 19 pg/mL ( < 60 )

Testosterone - 4,54 ng/mL ( 0,65 - 8,00 )

FREE TESTOSTERONE - 12,5 pg/mL ( 8,3 - 40,1 )

PROLACTIN - 4 μg/L ( 3 - 14,7 )

SEX HORMON BINDING GLOBULIN (SHBG) - 50,3 nmol/L ( 10 - 57 )

It’s around 360 on the latest test, but I guess it jumps around a lot so who knows where it will be next week! haha

Regardless, TRT is needed at this stage - it’s just too unstable.

Collagen Peptides have helped my busted tendons and knees from low e2. It helps replenish collagen. I feel it is helping me.

My nails and hair were first to show improvement. then skin. Joints feel much more cushioned. Tendons feel good.

What Is the mechanism of action that causes these issues with Cipro? I was always aware of the fact that it could cause your Achilles tendon to snap, but I didn’t understand why. .

Low e2? increased SHBG?

Yeah, I’m taking collagen peptides at the minute and hoping for the best with it. I have low E2 myself, so that is definitely a factor in all of this - with you on that one.

The mechanisms are not fully known, but it damages all connective tissue in the body (pretty much). Tendons are just the first thing you notice. The theory is that some people have phase 2 detoxification issues (through MTHFR genes or liver enzyme dis-regulation) and the drug builds up to dangerous levels in the body. Because the drug by it’s very nature, reduces the enzymes responsible for antioxidants (70% in the case of Cipro), and the fluorine (flouride) molecule can arguably became stuck in the cells in the body and can’t be removed.

The only way to remove is through high dosage IV antioxidants (glutathione), but due to genetic polymorphisms I am sensitive to this and can’t go that route.

Cipro ruins your body, it’s hard to recover fully from.

Are you still trying to lower the level in your body? Maybe look into calcium D glucarate.

If not, the best thing you an do is optimize your hormones. TRT will increase your e2 and give you some relief in that category. Good luck man.

Oh. Per an Endo on this board. Grass fed butter, and fish oil to heal joints.

1 Like

Yeah, doing everything I can do to reduce the level of oxidation in my body and help my body heal. It’s been very hard though, since brain fog is impacting my work badly. It’s been said that “with time” it heals to a large degree, so hoping all my effort is not to waste. Keeping a close eye on my bloods as well.

I don’t think touching my testosterone levels at this time is a good idea, because I’ve heard testosterone by it’s very nature can create an oxidative environment, not to mention trying to “dial in” for months on end while dealing with these symptoms as well. Going to give it 6-12 months and re-visit TRT, I don’t feel like complete death at this time so maybe I can recover at least back to my usual crappy state (with a functional brain though! haha).

Your SHBG is high. SO keep that in mind. Your Free test will always be low if that is high.

High from cipro? IF and Keto raise it. As well as some meds.

I think it’s always been high to be honest (all tests show this - including pre-cipro), hence me feeling like junk a lot of the time! The super strange thing is I never really had fatigue, depression, anxiety, muscle/joint pains, etc. The only issues I really had were difficulty gaining muscle, low libido/ED, and some weight gain. After Cipro, I got all tendon pain, neuropathy, etc.

Thanks for the info on SHBG though, makes complete sense and I will be on the watch for that. I am currently supplementing with Iodine with some good results.

1 Like

Hi, I am 22 and I’ve been floxed 4 years ago and I am still recovering but I am literally tired of this, it makes my living a misery. I am thinking seriously about TRT. How was your experience/recovery as a floxie while and after being on TRT?

Thank you.

I’m just reading this and thinking FCUK, I had a bad reaction to Cipro in 2012 when ALL of my health issues started!

I’d never peiced the two together! Could I still be suffering damage from an antibiotic nearly a decade ago?

I only took it for 2 days as I felt like it was literally KILLING me.

Research intestinal dysbiosis and Fecal Microbiota Transplants (FMT). Work with a Naturopathic doctor and have them order a Genova Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis. Your microbiome is likely no good from taking antibiotics; you killed off too many good strains. FMTs can be done at home using stool from a healthy donor via enemas. Treatment (ironically) is a course of antibiotics (Augmentin with Vancomycin is a good combo) to wipe out the colon as much as possible prior to the fecal transplants. 10 FMTs in a period of 10 days is the minimum for optimal clinical outcomes.

@blshaw check at this ref range… 65-800 (65ng/dl being normal for an adult male)

1 Like