T Nation

Pointers For Good Multivitamins

Ok, I'm pretty sure this as already been asked, and if it is so, please point me out to the infos.

But I'd like to know what is important to look at when you choose a good multi. I know diphosphate calcium is bad because it's binding the pill too hard and won't dissolve well, and certain minerals and vits shouldn't be mixed because of conflicting absorption. Anyone got more in-depth information on this, as well as others things to consider?

Also, I was told it's bad if you piss a bright shade of yellow when taking a multi...... Fact of fiction?

I'd welcome any good books suggestion and quality website url. Thanks guys

First your piss is bound to turn a bit yellow if getting enough B vits. and not enough water.

second yup the vitamin thig s been covered a LOT. You get what you pay for I say look for a good one that you take more than one a day. Usually two or three doses = 1 serving. take at seperate times of the day.

Thanks for the answer Phil.

I don't think my piss color's related to my water intake, though.

And ya, I know it's been covered, but for some reason my university's computer are so sensitive on pop-ups they don't allow for the search window. I'll do a search when I'm on my personal computer, but it's gonna take a while.

But why the 2-3 daily doses? To get them more evenly throughout the day?

i take 1 mens performance multi (from a reputable brand) & 2 greens + type capsules through the day...

The color of your urine will inform you on how hydrated you are. That is, under normal cirumstances.

If you're taking a multivitamin you'll notice it might become a very bright (neon, almost) yellow.

That is the water-soluable riboflavin which turns the piss that color. Note the intensity of it throughout the day and as you drink enough water it'll become clear again. It's nothing to worry about.

Due to the fact that you will hit a saturation point. Its like trying to take in all your cals and macros in one meal. Your going to piss/Pass a lot of the vits/mins if taken in one big whack. Where as when spread out you arfe able to absorb what is needed at varied times of the day as the stores get used up.

Also the NON one a days are usually higher in quality. Having more of the natural ingredidnts as oppsosed to synthetic. Usually higher quality in general. Vits are one of those like many get what you pay for supps. but really an add on if getting a solid diet with tons of varied meats, fruits, veggies, fats etc..

I think a food-sourced multi without iron would be a good bet (I'm assuming you're a guy from your screen name). I think Whole Foods makes one under its own brand, which is actually well priced in the category.

i take natures way alive iron free. its relatively cheap, even to get sent to australia

Fact: 90% of multi's are crap. There's a book by Lyle MacWilliam called 'comparative guide to nutritional supplements'. He is a biochemist commissioned by the gov't of Canada to write this book. in it he tells what to look for and rates them on a very thorough scale. Only a few of them are worth the $$$. USANA and Douglas labs are the best. Period.

here are the results of a recent study that just further shows how most multis don't make the cut:

Canadian study indicates that quality of nutritional supplements is still a concern

In a new study, researchers discovered that more than half of the nutritional supplements tested did not disintegrate properly. Included in the test were 39 tablets and 10 capsules containing minerals and vitamins commercially available on the Canadian market. USANA's Multimineral was included in the test. The first disintegration stage was performed using Simulated Intestinal Fluid (SIF) pH 6.8 for 20 minutes. Products which did not disintegrate were further analyzed using USP disintegration conditions for dietary supplements. Of the 39 tablets tested, only 18 products (which included Usana's Multimineral) disintegrated fully at the first stage. The 21 tablets that did not pass the first stage were then tested for disintegration using USP conditions. Nine tablets still failed to disintegrate, including all three timed-release products tested. Forty-percent of the capsules also failed the first stage, although all ten eventually passed when subjected to USP testing conditions.

This study illustrates that disintegration, one basic indicator of product quality, is still a concern for dietary supplements.

J Pharm Pharmaceut Sci (www.cspsCanada.org) 9(1):40-49, 2006 http://www.ualberta.ca/~csps/JPPS9(1)/Loebenberg.R/tablets.pdf