Point Me in the Right Direction

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
I’m a big fan of splits, I think you can develop a very solid split using the two pieces you referenced, but it would be easier for us to help you if you posted a potential split and then let us critique/give recommendations.
[/quote]

I hope you return to the thread to critique my split then. I’ll post it up tonight.

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
Im surprised no one said 5/3/1 yet, usually when anyone asks for help its dropped like 50x. that is probably one of the greatest parts of 360 muscle[/quote]

Maybe I’m being dumb but the bodybuilding bible mentioned by bricknyce, who has said he spoke with jim wendler who said 5/3/1 was not meant for people interested in pure bodybuilding.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:

For me to believe this is real I need to see a video log haha[/quote]

a video log? i don’t do weird/strange/exotic exercises. the order throughout the week in which i do them is the only difference than traditional spilits.

not sure what purpose videos would serve[/quote]

A sample workout should clear everything up.

[quote]zraw wrote:
Bendthebar

The front/back days you will use more barbells AND dumbells

The left/right days you will mostly use machines and cables, bit of dumbells too[/quote]

I’ll keep that in mind.

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
Im surprised no one said 5/3/1 yet, usually when anyone asks for help its dropped like 50x. that is probably one of the greatest parts of 360 muscle[/quote]

Maybe I’m being dumb but the bodybuilding bible mentioned by bricknyce, who has said he spoke with jim wendler who said 5/3/1 was not meant for people interested in pure bodybuilding. [/quote]

i know lol, i hate 5/3/1

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:

Maybe I’m being dumb but the bodybuilding bible mentioned by bricknyce, who has said he spoke with jim wendler who said 5/3/1 was not meant for people interested in pure bodybuilding. [/quote]

i know lol, i hate 5/3/1[/quote]

Ah.

Here is a current split I thought of: All exercises will be done per “bodybuilding bible” advice of ramping up to 2 sets all out 6-15 reps. Only difference is I really take my exercises to failure. If I can still get the bb or db up, I will for one more til I cannot do another one with decent form, doesn’t have to be perfect. If it takes 7 seconds and I still got it up there, I definitely will go for one more.

Day 1: Chest/Tri:

BB Bench Press:

Incline DB or BB press:

Skull Crushers:

Rope Pushdowns

Day 2: Back/Bicep:

Deadlift or Barbell Row

Chin-up or Lat Pulldown

Barbell Curls

Hammer Curls

Day 3 Legs:

Squats or Front Squats

Stiff-legged deadlift or Leg Curls

Standing Calve Raises

Sitting Calve Raises or Toe Presses

Day 4 Shoulders:

Standing BB Shoulder Press

Lateral Raise

Sitting Rear Delt Raises

Face Pulls

Repeat

Yes I plan on working out everyday. Every 2 months, I’ll take a week off lifting. Let me know what to change.

I’ve waited two days hoping someone with experience, like evan or holymac would critique my split. Did I post a too retarded split? Sorry if I did.

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
I’ve waited two days hoping someone with experience, like evan or holymac would critique my split. Did I post a too retarded split? Sorry if I did. [/quote]
Split looks fine. Except for back and legs instead of choosing between two exercises why not do all four for each?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
I’ve waited two days hoping someone with experience, like evan or holymac would critique my split. Did I post a too retarded split? Sorry if I did. [/quote]
Split looks fine. Except for back and legs instead of choosing between two exercises why not do all four for each?[/quote]

Because that would kill me. Taking all of those exercises to absolute failure is BRUTAL. Sorry for saying, but I literally will squat til I feel like puking or the bar hits the rack. Sometimes I feel like my legs will split apart on stiff-legged deadlift.

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:
Split looks fine. Except for back and legs instead of choosing between two exercises why not do all four for each?[/quote]

Because that would kill me. Taking all of those exercises to absolute failure is BRUTAL.[/quote]
Why are you going to absolute failure on EVERYTHING?

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

Because that would kill me. Taking all of those exercises to absolute failure is BRUTAL.[/quote]
Why are you going to absolute failure on EVERYTHING?[/quote]

I can’t help but go all out. I’ve tried to stop sometimes but something in my mind tells me to keep going until I can’t lift it anymore. I know it sounds like trolling but unless I feel a huge tweak, something like an injury, or the weight just won’t go up, I just won’t stop.

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

I can’t help but go all out. I’ve tried to stop sometimes but something in my mind tells me to keep going until I can’t lift it anymore. I know it sounds like trolling but unless I feel a huge tweak, something like an injury, or the weight just won’t go up, I just won’t stop.
[/quote]
Training to failure isn’t necessary. I practically never do and I’m doing pretty well for myself. It’s all in your head.

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

[quote]bendthebar wrote:

[/quote]
Training to failure isn’t necessary. I practically never do and I’m doing pretty well for myself. It’s all in your head.[/quote]

Pretty much. It’s going to take awhile for me to consciously back down. The whole time I’m thinking, “That wasn’t enough, do more til you can do no more.”

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

Training to failure isn’t necessary. I practically never do and I’m doing pretty well for myself. It’s all in your head.[/quote]

I’m gonna agree with him. This might be part of the problem with getting headed in the right direction. It is wise to work out hard but not too hard. You gotta leave some gas in the tank or your burn out you’ll eventually dig yourself into a massive sticking point. I used to think this exact way as well when I started training and I did so for 4 years in high school pushing and pushing for more strength, balls to the wall, using every ounce of energy I had. In the end I got pretty strong but no where near as big or shapely as I am now. You don’t grow in the gym, you grow adapting to the stimulus outside with rest and nutrition.

Even if you take a break every 8 weeks for nervous system recovery and split things up so the muscle groups have 72 hours or more for full recovery. If your not a genetic superior with a lot of training aids, and that’s being nice about it, this Mike Mentzer all out, every set, HIT mentality where you take the training stimulus close to 100% every time will only burn out. It’s just a matter of time.

You an grow on 85-95% stimulus while leaving some gas in the tank for recovery purposes by applying progressive overload through using stricter form, reducing rest time between sets, slowing down tempo, applying bands/chains, switching between cables machines or free weights or increasing weight etc. etc. Just increasing weight and going balls to the wall every time is only one basic way to go about bodybuilding and restricting yourself to just this mentality is a poor choice. Sure go ahead and come back to it every once in awhile but make it for a few 8 week sessions a year and try to experiment with it a little each time. Then switch things up

Training to failure, every set, every exercise… That’ll be gay.

I’d do another ‘leg’ exercise instead of two calf raises. Leg press or lunges would be a good one to fail on.

It doesn’t look like a bad split, but you may have some low/back recovery issues hitting back (deads/rack pulls) then legs the next day.

Also, you have 1 day for shoulders, but nothing else on that day…seems a bit excessive for shoulders especially on a split where you are hitting everything frequently.

It might be better if you paired shoulders with chest and instead placed a dedicated arm day in your split that could break up the back and leg workout.

It could look like this:

Chest/Shoulders
Back
Arms
Legs
Rest
Repeat

Personally, I would take a rest day before repeating, or at least start off by taking one and seeing how you feel.

Exercise selection looks fine to me.

[quote]ebomb5522 wrote:
It doesn’t look like a bad split, but you may have some low/back recovery issues hitting back (deads/rack pulls) then legs the next day.

Also, you have 1 day for shoulders, but nothing else on that day…seems a bit excessive for shoulders especially on a split where you are hitting everything frequently.

It might be better if you paired shoulders with chest and instead placed a dedicated arm day in your split that could break up the back and leg workout.

It could look like this:

Chest/Shoulders
Back
Arms
Legs
Rest
Repeat

Personally, I would take a rest day before repeating, or at least start off by taking one and seeing how you feel.

Exercise selection looks fine to me. [/quote]

Noted and done. I have my routine in front of me, and I will try my best to change my failure mindset. For the time being, I’ll probably drop to 1 all out set per exercise forever long it may take me to change my mentality. Thanks to everyone who posted in here. No more looking into the science. Just do the damn thing, and put your hardest work in.

[quote]ElevenMag wrote:

[quote]spar4tee wrote:

I’m gonna agree with him. This might be part of the problem with getting headed in the right direction. It is wise to work out hard but not too hard. You gotta leave some gas in the tank or your burn out you’ll eventually dig yourself into a massive sticking point. I used to think this exact way as well when I started training and I did so for 4 years in high school pushing and pushing for more strength, balls to the wall, using every ounce of energy I had. In the end I got pretty strong but no where near as big or shapely as I am now. You don’t grow in the gym, you grow adapting to the stimulus outside with rest and nutrition.

Even if you take a break every 8 weeks for nervous system recovery and split things up so the muscle groups have 72 hours or more for full recovery. If your not a genetic superior with a lot of training aids, and that’s being nice about it, this Mike Mentzer all out, every set, HIT mentality where you take the training stimulus close to 100% every time will only burn out. It’s just a matter of time.

You an grow on 85-95% stimulus while leaving some gas in the tank for recovery purposes by applying progressive overload through using stricter form, reducing rest time between sets, slowing down tempo, applying bands/chains, switching between cables machines or free weights or increasing weight etc. etc. Just increasing weight and going balls to the wall every time is only one basic way to go about bodybuilding and restricting yourself to just this mentality is a poor choice. Sure go ahead and come back to it every once in awhile but make it for a few 8 week sessions a year and try to experiment with it a little each time. Then switch things up[/quote]

I guess I could try reducing time between sets since I normally take 3-5 minutes per set, to really know I’m fresh 100% to give 100% to each set.

[quote]sexyxe wrote:
Training to failure, every set, every exercise… That’ll be gay.

I’d do another ‘leg’ exercise instead of two calf raises. Leg press or lunges would be a good one to fail on. [/quote]

YOW, that’s the third time I’ve heard about lunges. That’s the only exercise I think I would back off of because it hurts so freaking bad during and after the set. Might think about dropping a calf exercise but I have to keep in mind my calves are lagging hard. They’re probably only a bit bigger than my arms, and my arms are tiny by tmuscle standards.