T Nation

Poetry, Books, Movies, Ideas - Discussion

The Kite Runner was definitely quite brilliant-
Saul Williams has absolutely got the gift of gab- as for music…
-Sage Francis
-The Roots (everything)
-St Germain (you might not know it, but if you’ve seen a Guy Ritche film, you’ve definitely bopped to it)
-DJ Shadow… pretty remarkable stuff

Good Reads (besides the aforementioned-above)
-Persepolis
-The Power of One
-The Hero’s Walk
-Reading Lolita in Tehran (as mentioned by someone else)
-Things Fall Apart (by Chinua Achebe)
-The 48 Laws of Power
-Catch 22
-The Art of War
-The Poisonwood Bible

Movies:
-Closer
-The Lost Highway
-Shadow Boxers (yes Lucia Rijker is stunning and has quite possibly the hottest body ever!!)
-I (heart) Huckabees
-Love and Basketball… I know I know…give me a break, I’m a female athlete!

[quote]wufwugy wrote:

i hope you find these movies and Enjoy! also, if you do watch these movies and want more where they came from, im a whore of the best movies ever made that i can find. so just holla.

sheesh, i’ve already thought of a dozen more awesome, underrated movies, but i dont wanna overload anybody…[/quote]

Thanks!

Those are some great suggestions. The only one on the list I have seen is City Of God, and I agree with your remark about being THE best foreign film I’ve ever seen.

I’ll have to get the other ones.

-Nate

[quote]proxy wrote:

Saul Williams has absolutely got the gift of gab- as for music…
-Sage Francis
-The Roots (everything)
-St Germain (you might not know it, but if you’ve seen a Guy Ritche film, you’ve definitely bopped to it)
-DJ Shadow… pretty remarkable stuff

Good Reads (besides the aforementioned-above)
-Persepolis
-The Power of One
-The Hero’s Walk
-Reading Lolita in Tehran (as mentioned by someone else)
-Things Fall Apart (by Chinua Achebe)
-The 48 Laws of Power
-Catch 22
-The Art of War
-The Poisonwood Bible

Movies:
-Closer
-The Lost Highway
-Shadow Boxers (yes Lucia Rijker is stunning and has quite possibly the hottest body ever!!)
-I (heart) Huckabees
-Love and Basketball… I know I know…give me a break, I’m a female athlete!
[/quote]

Awesome.

Saul Williams is fantastic and deep.

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious) is equally as talented and can flow like none other.

I’ve never been disapointed with a Roots CD.

I’ve seen Snatch and Lock Stock, so I’m pretty sure I’ve bopped to St Germain.

The Power of One is sitting on my bookshelf and was reccomended to me by a friend I only spent a short amount of time with.

I needed a dictionary to read Catch-22. “Her incandescent blue veins converged populously underneath her cocoa-brown skin…”

I Heart Huckabees was amazing. I also enjoyed watching What the Bleep Do We Know with closed captions on so I could understand what the speakers were saying at all times.

Closer was a damn good movie.

I think I love you.

-Nate

While I’m on the Asian kick (yet again this year), here are a few more.

Anything by Akira Kurosawa, particularly:

Throne of Blood (Macbeth)
The Idiot (Dostoyevski’s book of the same title)
Seven Samurai (The Magnificent Seven was based on this)
Yojimbo (Fistful of Dollars was based on this)
The Hidden Fortress (Star Wars is heavily based on this)
Rashomon (a must-see for any fan of cinema. it influenced nearly all directors afterwards)

Hayao Miyazaki (brilliant anime director…don’t laugh, these are great movies)

Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Kinji Fukasaku

The Yakuza Papers (series of 5 movies, really great films about the organized crime scene in post-WWII Japan. lots of violence, but nothing extremely graphic)

Kenji Misumi

The Lone Wolf and Cub (series of 6 movies about a samurai getting revenge for his murdured wife. Huge influence on Kill Bill, also where Tarantino got his spraying blood idea. Very violent movies, but well worth it. Hard to find in the US and expensive, but you can buy them on Ebay. Just don’t expect legal copies if you get them for cheap. Shogun Assassin is a splice of the first 2, dubbed in English. Both the originals and Shogun Assassin are cult classics)

If you liked the score to Hero or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, you’ll want to check out Tan Dun’s Symphony 1997, with Yo-Yo Ma as the soloist. Amazing piece, and Tan uses bells that were dug up in the 70s which had been lost to a tomb in China since 433 BC. Very cool, and some amazing music.

Enjoy!

The Tao of Jeet Kune Do, by Bruce Lee, is the only book I am concentrating on these days. Call me a minimalist.

Awesome.

Saul Williams is fantastic and deep.

Gift of Gab (Blackalicious) is equally as talented and can flow like none other.

I’ve never been disapointed with a Roots CD.

I’ve seen Snatch and Lock Stock, so I’m pretty sure I’ve bopped to St Germain.

The Power of One is sitting on my bookshelf and was reccomended to me by a friend I only spent a short amount of time with.

I needed a dictionary to read Catch-22. “Her incandescent blue veins converged populously underneath her cocoa-brown skin…”

I Heart Huckabees was amazing. I also enjoyed watching What the Bleep Do We Know with closed captions on so I could understand what the speakers were saying at all times.

Closer was a damn good movie.

I think I love you.

-Nate

Hahahaha!

Mark Wahlberg was so brilliant in I Heart Huckabees that I can almost forgive him for ever being in “Fear” or “The Big Hit” (which I pretend to detest, but secretly kind of enjoyed)

I also have to give major shout outs to Mos Def, Talib Kweli, K-os, The Gypsy Kings, old episodes of Law and Order and The Usual Suspects for contributing to my mental health and preventing the kind of CNS meltdown that might turn me into one of those cardio-crazed queens of abs-and-arms popculture-o-paths. (we’re only human, after all!)

Nate - what tickles your audio fancy???
If you read Saul, I can only imagine what the freak you’re listening to

-'xy

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Agreed on House of Flying Daggers and Hero…

…I have to admit that I think that Chuck Palahniuk may be the worst author in the history of the universe. I know some people love him, but I just don’t see it.[/quote]

Read Lullabye, it’s far and away his best book. It’s far better writing than his other books, and the point he makes is powerful and interesting.

Yikes, my pen just ran out of ink. I’m going to be busy for a while with all these suggestions.

As for reading, maybe it’s a little cliche, but the Angels and Demons/DaVinci code pair were really good for fiction. I just started the harry potter selection, so I’ll be busy for a while there.

I’d recommend Joseph Cambell as well. I know the Power of Myth, and Hero with a Thousand Faces are both very good, lots of info spanning damn near every hero story and religious belief in existence. Good stuff.

[quote]elevationgain wrote:

Dude, are you relying soley on Target’s book inventory? Not that it’s a bad thing, I just remember seeing all those titles the last time I was there.

Here’s what I’ve been reading…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (In preparation for the Book 4 Movie)

Harry Potter Half-blood Prince

Shooter, Autobiography of a Top Ranked Marine Sniper by Jack Coughlin

The Finishing School, Earning the Navy SEAL Trident by Dick Couch

As far as movies go, this summer has been a bit of a downer except for Batman Begins and Wedding Crashers. WC was fucking hilarious.

As far as DVD’s go, the GF and I have been watching episodes of “Family Guy” and I enjoyed the film “Sideways” quite a bit.

As far as poets go, I’ve been listening to Public Enemy a lot, so I’d say Chuck D is the poet I’ve been paying attention to most as of late.

GAINER[/quote]

I read Shooter a few weeks ago and I found it really interesting.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
i am a self-proclaimed yet well deserved movie critique authority.

in no particular order, some of the most underrated movies i’ve seen…

equilibrium
spring, summmer, fall, winter, and spring
dersu uzala
rope
deadman
in the name of the father
in america
city of god
jeremiah johnson
the machinist
miyamoto musashi
miyamoto musashi: duel at ichijoji temple
miyamoto musashi: duel at ganryu island

[/quote]

Hmmm…I thought Equilibrium was a bit dull. But I’m with you with City of God and In America.
The best films I’ve seen recently (which doesn’t make theme recent films) are Life is Beautiful, Million Dollar Baby, The Straight Story, and Office Space (which I watch every month or so, so it doesn’t really count).

Best book, that isn’t horror or Harry Potter, that I’ve read recently is The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - very funny :slight_smile:

Dan

Oh yeah, fave books of all time are Cormac ‘the greatest US author of his time’ McCarthy’s border trilogy. Fucking awesome, you just have to read them.

Dan