Pocket Knives

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127303479616.JetEdge.jpg

[quote]EMT-FF Jordan wrote:
I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone post about SOG’s those are my personal favorite, durable and sharp. [/quote]

Love SOG! I have the large Jet-Edge, which they’ve now discontinued. Carbon fiber handle, one of the best tip designs they’ve had. Cool blade.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127303600399.sharpmaker.jpg

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

How do you keep the blade for 12 years? How do you sharpen it? The Lansky kit?[/quote]

A must for all Spyderco owners: The Tr-Angle SharpMaker.

Posed the knife question to an old friend who works as a foreman in the construction business in Detroit.

He uses a Shcrade Uncle Henry… Have you guys ever seen one of those, it’s the three blade classic bone fold-out.
I told him he needs to catch up with the times and get himeslf something new.

As for Self Defence, I’ve never been in a situation where there I’ve had to consider using my knife. Not to say that I haven’t practiced reaching for it quick and getting it in an offensive or defensive position. But hell, I’m the same guy who drills moving from my bedroom to the front and back door respectively with a Remington 870 12 guage.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127315096946.C13BK_M.jpg

I prefer to carry Spyderco, it might just be bias though as they are located in the Denver area. The first one I carry has been discontinued it’s the pro grip it fits easily in my pocket while on duty.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127315166246.C14BL_S.jpg

The other one I carry is for in my bunker pants and large enough so I can use it while wearing heavy gloves.

I got hold of the Spyderco Spyderwrench. I love the thing, got the half serrated one. It’s a little complicated, and a little heavy, but I just love the design. It’s got a great set of tools for what I run into, so I’m happy.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Yep, the Wave works great, standard or reverse grip. Takes a little getting used to the finger hole sticking out of your pocket though. Mine’s #101 out of the limited edition hand finished models that came out first. Very smooth.
[/quote]

Good to know. I really want one now! What do you use to sharpen it? I’ve always had trouble with recurve blades, even using Lansky rods. Maybe it’s just me…

I like the idea of the ball-bearing lock, but I gotta say, these days I’m not a huge fan of overdesigned “art” knives. Not to carry, anyway. The Poliwog is definitely cool, bit it’s a little too sci-fi for me to actually purchase. I would like to play with one at a shop or show.

[quote]
Cold Steel has become, well, strange in the last few years. They dominated the 90’s, then they just, I don’t know, lost focus. Looks like they still make some good stuff though. [/quote]

Yep. For sure. They haven’t done anything really exciting in a while. In fact, they got rid of the well-priced fixed blade culloden models and replaced them with a $350 folder. That’s just nuts. And what’s with the silly stuff like sword canes and plastic djamboks? Still, what they do well, they do very well: the tantos are classics.

I’ll have to check out the Kershaws. Haven’t looked seriously at them in a while.

[quote]nfisher wrote:
What do you use to sharpen it? I’ve always had trouble with recurve blades, even using Lansky rods. Maybe it’s just me…
[/quote]

I haven’t yet! Looks to be tricky. I’ll probably mail it off and let a pro do it.

[quote]

Yep. For sure. They haven’t done anything really exciting in a while. In fact, they got rid of the well-priced fixed blade culloden models and replaced them with a $350 folder. That’s just nuts. And what’s with the silly stuff like sword canes and plastic djamboks? [/quote]

Exactly. That Special Projects crap diluted the brand big time. It’s like, “Let’s see, we’re known for the best quality knives on the planet. Hey, let’s start selling knockoff battle axes and fake swords, just like pawn shops in Texas!” Sheesh. Someone needs to re-read the Marketing 101 books.

Do check into Kershaw. Good stuff here lately. And Benchmade might be the most exciting company right now… for a knife geek at least!

I bought my old man, a farmer, a Schrade about 15 years ago with a life-time warranty (standard 6" lock-blade i think). The tip keeps breaking because he uses it as a screw driver and pry tool, but they send him a brand new one each time he sends it in.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1127327330189.boker.JPG

I carry my Boker everywhere except to class. Whenever I use it in public I always get some pretty horrified looks as if the knife (or I!)were evil. It’s just barely legal, with a 3 3/8 inch blade.

[quote]nfisher wrote:
Chris Shugart wrote:

Cold Steel has become, well, strange in the last few years. They dominated the 90’s, then they just, I don’t know, lost focus. Looks like they still make some good stuff though.

Yep. For sure. They haven’t done anything really exciting in a while. In fact, they got rid of the well-priced fixed blade culloden models and replaced them with a $350 folder. That’s just nuts. And what’s with the silly stuff like sword canes and plastic djamboks? Still, what they do well, they do very well: the tantos are classics.

[/quote]

You mean like this Cold Steel Contribution? May I present The Torpedo. 1 inch thick, 15 inches long, and weighing in a two freaking pounds. Strictly a throwing type knife I guess is what you’d call it…

I don’t know why, but I want one, or fuck it, four.

GAINER

Wow… and I thought I was the only knife collecting weight training freak out there…

Myself for EDC I carry the Cold Steel Pro-Lite II Tanto Folder (straight edge)… decent weight and blade length.

I use it at work (I’m a shipper) sometimes in place of the usual utility knives (and man the looks I get from the truck drivers when I whip this sucker out LOL)

Prior to that I was always carried (one at a time, of course) either a BenchMade CQC-7, a Spyderco Endura or a Delica.

FYI do not bother carrying the Cold Steel Vaquero Grande unless you are out in the bush… that sucker is freaking huge. Used to carry it as a novelty until it starting wearing a hole in my jeans pocket.

Funny how the whole post thread sounds like endorsements for various knife companies LOL… In that case I wholeheartedly vouch for Spyderco first and foremost… serious work knives that live up to their billing and purpose IMO.

[quote]swivel wrote:
i’ve been carrying a crkt m-16z.
designed by kit carson but made in taiwan( in very very small letters) so minus the $400 price tag. the knife is kinda old skoool, bit heavy, bit bulky, but is really stiff and fits my hand very well. also keeps a good edge and performs every time- they named it m-16 but it’s really more of an AK if you ask me. solid torx screw construction all the way round -even the clip. finger flip action is really sweet and there’s an extra safety which is good peace of mind when you’re really gnawing through something. nice knife for 50 bucks.[/quote]

I love this knife. I have the black handled one with a straight edge. Very sturdy and sharp. I also carry a Kershaw Vapor as my work knife. Smaller than the CRK, but just a sharp, if not sharper and holds an edge after cutting thick stuff like plastic or leather.

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
You mean like this Cold Steel Contribution? May I present The Torpedo. 1 inch thick, 15 inches long, and weighing in a two freaking pounds. Strictly a throwing type knife I guess is what you’d call it…

I don’t know why, but I want one, or fuck it, four.

GAINER

[/quote]

Why don’t you get them made out of silver, and then you can hunt vampires with them :o

I don’t have any pocket knives - they are all fixed blades. A good knife is a thing of beauty.

Excuse my naivity… but wtf do you guys do carrying these knives around?

Self-defense? Hunting and gathering?

Don’t get me wrong, I love knives but I am not sure why you would need to carry around knives everyday, what do you use it for? Just curious. Thanks.

[quote]IronHell wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love knives but I am not sure why you would need to carry around knives everyday, what do you use it for? Just curious. Thanks.[/quote]

To make you ask questions, that’s why. How about because we like nice blades, not to mention some of us use them at work.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
IronHell wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love knives but I am not sure why you would need to carry around knives everyday, what do you use it for? Just curious. Thanks.

To make you ask questions, that’s why. How about because we like nice blades, not to mention some of us use them at work.[/quote]

What work do you do that requires knives?

[quote]IronHell wrote:

What work do you do that requires knives?
[/quote]

I’m a serial killer, so I find them very handy…

I carry a Spyderco Cricket most of the time. For years and years I carried many varieties of Leathermans and Gerbers on my belt but found them to be very bulky and I started to feel like I had on my Batman Utility Belt (it’s just not the same without wearing the entire outfit). Now I keep one Leatherman in my desk at work and one in the center console of my truck.

Love the Poliwog just wish it had a combo edge or the Spyderedge.

[quote]IronHell wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I love knives but I am not sure why you would need to carry around knives everyday, what do you use it for? Just curious. Thanks.[/quote]

It’s a pretty handy tool. Opening things such as packaging. Opening mail at the office including boxes. Also handy as a backup to your primary weapon since it doesn’t run out of ammo.