T Nation

Po' Boy Mass

Hey all,

I’m a university student and am moving out of home this year; so I can no longer mooch out of my parents’ fridge. I’m figuring out my food budget and it seems that unless I bag 2 or 3 whitetail this hunting season I’m going to be short on low-fat, quality protein and calorie supply during the year.

I’ve read some other posts recommending the old “drink a gallon of whole milk a day and you’ll Grow!!!”. Now, wouldn’t a better way be to drink a gallon of skim milk per day with say an equivalent amount of fat from fish oil, “Udo’s Choice 3-6-9”, or if I’m really tight on cash, olive oil?

Thanks,

AlbertaBeef

Come on down. You can’t pull the trigger and miss one around here.

costco or get some buddies together, get a whole sale distribution license and go to whole sale markets to buy your shit.

You can buy a LOT of food cheap after the initial investment (costco card or wholesale license)

Check out School Days Part II http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459620

and Bodybuilding and Budgeting http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/sep272002/na_budgeting.htm

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
costco or get some buddies together, get a whole sale distribution license and go to whole sale markets to buy your shit.

You can buy a LOT of food cheap after the initial investment (costco card or wholesale license)

[/quote]

I agree. Sams Club or Costco will save you money. My wife and I buy a lot of beef, chicken, fruit, and vegetables there and it is SO much cheaper than the grocery store.

Christopher

But what about the fact that I may have a really small fridge, no freezer and only a George Forman grill to cook on?

Chicken breasts from Costco may be cheap, but they don’t save well without a freezer.

[quote]Diablo9845 wrote:
But what about the fact that I may have a really small fridge, no freezer and only a George Forman grill to cook on?

Chicken breasts from Costco may be cheap, but they don’t save well without a freezer.
[/quote]

I understand that could be a problem. Could you thaw the chicken in the fridge, and then cook them all on the GFG until they are done. If so, then you could store them in the fridge. As much chicken as I eat, I am sure they would keep until I was finished with them.

Christopher

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I discovered that there is a “Real Canadian Wholesale” close to my new apartment. Prices are generally equal to costco and it looks like that’s where I’ll be doing all of my protein shopping.

I’d still like some opinions on the whole milk vs. skim milk + Udo’s oil question. It seems to make sense to me, but is there some use to saturated milk fat in terms of muscle gain which I have overlooked?