T Nation

Plyometrics after Squatting?

Hey guys, really wanting to start getting my max squat and deadlift up (main focus is the squat) some. I have taken 2 weeks off both of them and I’m going to be getting back into them both, but my question is about how to structure in some plyometric work after a big squatting (or deadlifting) session. My currents plan is to do an ABCD split with A-mon; B-tue; C-thur; D-fri

A workout will be:
Squats: 6 sets of 5,3,3,2,1,1 (ramping up to 90-100%)
Box Jumps: 3 sets of 6-8
Squat Jumps: 3 sets of 10
40M sprints max speed X 3
light core work

Workout B is push day (chest, triceps and biceps focus) w/ core work at end

Workout C:
Deadlifts: 5 sets of 3 (ramping up to 80-95% depending on how everything feels)
Stiff legged deadlifts: 3 sets of 6-8
don’t really know where to go from here… dunno if some kinda plyo’s here would be too much… if not plyo’s probably something like rows and maybe pullups/lat pulldowns
light core work

Workout D is shoulders and arms (delts, traps, triceps)

What do you think about the current set-up? What should I do to finish my C workout? Plyo’s or back hypertrophy?

Info: 6’3" 180-185 about a year and a half training experience
Max bench maybe 230; squat around 295; dead maybe 350
clean bulking at 3200-3500

thanks in advance nation

Ask yourself what you’re trying to accomplish. If you want to become more explosive, do something like 5x3 box jumps/clapping chin ups/clapping press ups as a part of your warm up. It will actually prime your neural system and help you lift heavier. I don’T see the point in performing 3x10 squat jumps on top of box jumps AFTER you squat. Plyometrics aren’t like hypertrophy movements where you try to accumulate volume.

Im no expert bro, but I dont see the point of you jumping after you squat heavy.

Just squat, and maybe finish of with some accessory movements. Leave sprinting for another day, more for conditioning.

tweet

What nighthawk said.

I used to do a workout for baseball players that had deadlifts alternating with 9090 stretches.
After, it was vertical jumps… reaching as high as possible.

I mention this because the whole reasoning was that all baseball players really need besides coordination is explosiveness.

I would do them before heavy squats but only for less than 5 reps leading to low volume and low intensity. This can prime your nervous system for lifting.

Or have a dynamic leg day that uses explosive jumps separate from heavy squatting.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
Or have a dynamic leg day that uses explosive jumps separate from heavy squatting. [/quote]

Starting to think this is probably the way to go. One day plyo’s and light hypertrophy work then the other heavy squatting and/or deadlifting. Do you guys think this sounds better?

explosive day would be A (mon) and heavy day C (tue)

I’ll drop the volume with plyo’s too, make A more of a conditioning/coordination kinda day

Does this sound better to you guys?

Liking my new setup of a heavy squat day and a plyo and explosiveness day quite a bit already. Thanks for getting me on track guys, see you in the PR forum

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
Liking my new setup of a heavy squat day and a plyo and explosiveness day quite a bit already. Thanks for getting me on track guys, see you in the PR forum[/quote]

I would make them a little farther apart than that in days. At least 2-3. Plyo uses a lot of CNS activation and CNS does take time to recover. In between can be a upper day or something to that extent.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
Liking my new setup of a heavy squat day and a plyo and explosiveness day quite a bit already. Thanks for getting me on track guys, see you in the PR forum[/quote]

I would make them a little farther apart than that in days. At least 2-3. Plyo uses a lot of CNS activation and CNS does take time to recover. In between can be a upper day or something to that extent. [/quote]

I meant Thurs, not tue. It’d be plyo’s monday, upper body pushes tuesday, wed off, and heavy squats thurs.