Plyo Training in the Layer System

CT I’m currently following your 10 day cycle you posted in your 3 key intensity zones thread. I had a question regarding plyo training or jump training and which layer method you would advise to use with them if at all.

6 day cluster and hdl
1rm2rm3rm
10 day cycle

If you were going to use them specifically In a training block with a power and explosiveness focus which exercises would you choose for the layers?

I ask because the 10 day cycle has been amazing for strength gains but if and when I stall on this I’d like to rotate training blocks for strength using the 10 day cycles, hypertrophy using the hdl 6 day split, and power phases. Unsure if I should just stick with the 10 day cycle and change the main lifts and assistance parameters.

Would like to thank you for all the information you put out and hopefully you have time to respond.

If anyone else would like to chime in I’d love to hear your thoughts as well.

DAY 1

1. Slight decline bench press ramp to 1RM
  2. Slight decline bench press from pins just above sticking point, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Slight decline bench press lockout (from pins, last 2-3"), start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Slight decline speed bench 6 x 3 with 50% of no.1

DAY 2

1. Front squat ramp to 1RM
  2. Back squat, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Back squat from pins just above sticking point start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Power clean 6 sets of 2 reps
  5. Prowler heavy pushes (as heavy as possible for 20 yards) 6 sets of 20 yards

DAY 3

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 1RM
  2. Snatch-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.1 and ramp to 1RM
  3. Clean-grip low pulls, start at 70% of no.2 and ramp to 1RM
  4. Romanian deadlift 3 x 6-8 reps

DAY 4

1. Slight decline bench pres ramp to 3RM
  2. Slight decline bench pres 8 x 3 @ 90% of no.1
  3. Slight decline close-grip bench from pins (just above sticking point) 4 sets of 3 with 80% of no.1
  4. DB shoulder press 4-5 sets of 6-8 reps

DAY 5

1. Back squat ramp to 3RN
  2. Back squat 6 sets of 3 with 90% of no.1
  3. Deadlift 4-5 sets of 4-6 reps
  4. Prowler sprints (moderate weight, maximum speed over 30m) 6 sets

DAY 6

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 3RM
  2. Snatch-grip high pulls, 6 sets of 3 reps with 90% of no.1
  3. RDL 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps

DAY 7

1. Regula bench press ramp to 6RM
  2. Regular bench bench 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1
  3. Floor press 4 sets of 6 with 80% of no.1
  4. Rope triceps extension 4-5 x 8-10

DAY 8

1. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate) ramp to 6RM
  2. Back squat heels elevated (10lbs plate)4 sets of 6 with 90% of 6RM
  3. Power clean complex (3 power clean + 3 front squat + 3 RDL) 3 sets
  4. Prowler for distance (moderate weight and speed) max distance in 10 minutes

DAY 9

1. Snatch-grip high pulls ramp to 6RMI’m
    2, Snach-grip high pulls 4 sets of 6 with 90% of no.1

DAY 10
Max out on squat and bench

DO THAT CYCLE 3 TIMES, REST 1 DAY AFTER DAY 6 AND DAY 10

The 10 day cycle for reference

It depends on what you call “plyo”… in North America we tend to call any form of jumping “plyometrics”. In reality true plyometrics refer to depth jumps (you stand on a box, drop down to the floor as as soon as you land jump as high or as far as you can) and depth landings (same thing, but from a higher box, focusing on a solid landing in a sport specific knee angle).

When it comes to explosive strength exercises (jumps and throws) we could put everything in three classes:

JUMPING EXERCISES (vertical jump, hurdle jumps, lateral jumps, broad jumps, jump lunges, single leg jump, jump onto a box, push-up projection, etc.)

PLYOMETRIC EXERCISES (depth jumps, depth landings, depth push ups)

BALLISTIC EXERCISES (barbell jump squats with 20-30% of max, jump lunges with 20-30% of bodyweight, KB squat jump, medicine ball throws,etc.)

Jumping exercises can be done daily as they are low stress. They actually constitute a good activation to do prior the main workout. But do not go overboard. Jump don’t feel tiring so we tend to do too much. About 20-30 jumps in the workout is about right. I prefer sets of 3-5 jumps instead of 10 and such because you can focus on maximum explosiveness on every rep.

Plyometric exercises should only be done for cycles of 2-3 weeks followed by at least 3-4 weeks off from that method. No more than 50-60 ground contacts PER WEEK. And normally no more than 20 ground contact per workout. So 2-3 times a week 20 jumps or so per day. Sets of 5. Done also at the beginning of a workout after a solid warm-up and a few regular jumps.

Ballistic exercises are best done for 1-2 weeks when part of a complex program (e.g. plyo exercises for 3 weeks, 1 week only jumping, 2 weeks ballistic, 1 week without jumping). The parameters are similar to plyometric drills.

Thanks coach