T Nation

Plyo Before Weights?

In one week I’ll be finishing The Shotgun Method, and I’ve been seeing a lot of results. After this I’m going to do Bill Starr’s 5x5 program again. I want to incorporate some plyo in my routine for wrestling, bjj, and muay thai, but I’m not sure whether to do them before lifting weights or after, or to do them on off days. So what are your opinions?

My personal opinion from messing around with conditioning and plyo stuff while trying to combine Martial Arts with weight training is… don’t make it a priority. Do it after the weights or better yet on rest days. I like to keep my nervous system relaxed when I’m about to lift weights as absolute strength is an area I need to improve desperately.

My vert and speed on the other hand are more than adequate for my current weight and I anticipate them improving with my body composition.

But then again, your needs may be different than mine. Would you say that getting stronger is more important for you at the moment, or getting a little bit more explosive for your body weight? My priorities personally are like this: Technique/Strength+Size/Flexibility/Speed-Explosiveness

How would you qualify your needs?

Great post by Nikiforos.

It’s highly individual and depends largely on what you feel you need to prioritize and how your body reacts to things.

Personally I feel that if I do a limited amount of plyometrics before my strength work (again in moderation) that my nervous system is kind of “revved up” and i feel stronger.

IMO, you need to be sure that you even NEED plyo right now. It might be better to just hit the weights hard with all your focus, and worry about doing plyo stuff in a separate phase, or after you can determine how your body reacts to the 5x5 protocal.

Off days are OFF days imo. rest you need it.

Well I want to add in some plyo, because I use to be really fast when I was skinnier (140 lbs), but since gaining mass (180 lbs) I’ve become less fast in my takedowns; I feel much stronger now though. I still wanna gain strength, but I find that I’m needing a bit more speed.

[quote]Alex89 wrote:
Well I want to add in some plyo, because I use to be really fast when I was skinnier (140 lbs), but since gaining mass (180 lbs) I’ve become less fast in my takedowns; I feel much stronger now though. I still wanna gain strength, but I find that I’m needing a bit more speed.[/quote]

Sounds like a good reason. Out of curiosity, where’s your squat at?

My squat is pretty bad… 255 lbs for 5 reps.

That may be a reason why you’re getting slower, you got heavier but pound for pound you’re not very strong.

Some people “come out of the box” explosive so to speak, and those people tend to become good basketball players and track and field athletes.

Other people need to work on strength to produce a lot of force in explosive movements as well as a lot of technique work.

BTW, since it’s takedowns you want to improve, you may want to consider sprinting while you also build up your squat. This is ASSUMING you already do a LOT of take down work and it’s become second nature to you.

I don’t usually recommend heavy GPP like sprinting for fighters, but as far as I know a lot of wrestlers utilise it to develop strength to “run through” opponents. All these things said, maybe someone with more of a wrestling background can help you too as I’m more of a striking guy.

I also want to improve my striking speed. the only plyo I know for this is clap push ups, and med ball throws.

[quote]Alex89 wrote:
In one week I’ll be finishing The Shotgun Method, and I’ve been seeing a lot of results. After this I’m going to do Bill Starr’s 5x5 program again. I want to incorporate some plyo in my routine for wrestling, bjj, and muay thai, but I’m not sure whether to do them before lifting weights or after, or to do them on off days. So what are your opinions?[/quote]

on different days

plyos should be fuckin intense. done no more than 3 times MAX a week…

btw, shotgun method is the shieeeeeeett

[quote]Alex89 wrote:
I also want to improve my striking speed. the only plyo I know for this is clap push ups, and med ball throws.[/quote]

u need a good coach for hand speed

focus mitt work