T Nation

PLing/Oly Lifting Not Sport

I was talking to a guy today and powerlifting came up. He said that it wasn’t a sport. He then went on to say even olympic lifting isn’t a sport?

WTF?

I hate when ignorant people talk.

[quote]toroman wrote:
I was talking to a guy today and powerlifting came up. He said that it wasn’t a sport. He then went on to say even olympic lifting isn’t a sport?

WTF?

I hate when ignorant people talk.[/quote]

I know. I hate when people say poker and hunting and fishing and darts aren’t sports.

I’ve heard that Louie Simmons has said that powerlifting isn’t a sport, rather it is a display of feats of strength.

Sport or not a sport, it’s just semantics. And dont get me wrong, sometimes I love semantics, but just recognize that the people who think golf is a sport will never agree with those who don’t. It’s the same with NASCAR, with powerlifting… the list goes on.

[quote]toroman wrote:

WTF?

I’d say the best thing to do would be to ignore him, or just tell him you’d have to agree to disagree.

In my experience, arguing with someone who can be that ignorant will get you no where.

Yeah, it is kinda pointless to argue with someone about what is/isn’t a sport. However, if you ask them the criteria they use to determine what a sport is, there is a good chance they will talk themselves into a corner.

whos to say what constitutes a sport anyway…

It’s not a sport unless it has a ball, millions of dollars in beer ads and statutory rape charges.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
whos to say what constitutes a sport anyway…[/quote]

The dictionary?

Hahah… I was talking to a guy at work who also “works out” at the same gym as me. I asked if he lifted and he said no, he hates weight lifting. I asked why and he said because its not athletic.

huh?

He said bodybuilders aren’t athletes.

I played along a bit…

“Ok, fine. Bodybuilders aren’t athletes. What about olympic lifting?”

“No, its not athletic. Its just lifting a weight. Gymnasts are athletes. Football linebackers are athletes. Weightlifters aren’t.”

“Ok… but every football player squats. Linebackers and olympic lifters both have to accelerate a lot of weight from a dead stop as fast as possible. That takes a very explosive and coordinated effort.”

“No… linebackers run. Weight lifters can’t run. They can barely move.”

“… olympic lifters have proven to be some of the fastest sprinters in the world and some also have incredible vertical jumps. Thats not athletic?”

“No, weight lifters aren’t athletes.”

Ok then. Much… much too late, I walked away trying to save my remaining brain cells from committing suicide. Like the others said, there is no logic processes, nothing to be said. Like arguing against religion. Better to walk away as soon as you see someone like that.

(This dude happened to be a middle-aged lawyer who used to play football. No kidding. His “athletic” workout now consists of slow jogging on a treadmill (book-reading speed) and I’ve seen him do a few circuit machines here and there.)

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
It’s not a sport unless it has a ball, millions of dollars in beer ads and statutory rape charges.[/quote]

This man speaks the truth.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
whos to say what constitutes a sport anyway…[/quote]

SPORT: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

ATHLETIC: involving the use of physical skills or capabilities, as strength, agility, or stamina.

I think the confusion comes in when many people consider anything that is competitive as a sport. I always considered a sport to require physical abilities to be used and be competitive.

I would consider powerlifting and weightlifting to be sports. I wouldn’t consider weight training to be a sport (lacks the competition part).

I would consider Poker to be a competition but not a sport.

Fishing could be considered a sport because it requires the coordination for casting the line and reeling it back in.

I guess for these types of arguments the first step is to define the term.

Regards,

Sensless

There’s quite a bit of hobbies out there that remain just hobbies until you compete against an opponent.

Fishing; hobby
Sport Fishing Tournament; sport

Golf; Hobby
Masters PGA; sport

Eating; hobby
Competitive eating; sport

Hmmm, maybe I’m wrong.

[quote]derek wrote:
There’s quite a bit of hobbies out there that remain just hobbies until you compete against an opponent.

Fishing; hobby
Sport Fishing Tournament; sport

Golf; Hobby
Masters PGA; sport

Eating; hobby
Competitive eating; sport

Hmmm, maybe I’m wrong.[/quote]

If this were the case then Halo 2 tournaments or Madden tournaments would be considered a sport. I personally would not consider video games a sport no matter who u compete against. Just because one competes in a specific activity does not mean it is a sport.

Nascar…sport? i would say no, i would argue it is with out question a specific acquired talent or specialized skill in which one must train for, but i myself would not call it a sport.

I think for something to be considered a sport, athletic movements must be involved. so activities such as fishing, nascar, video game tournaments, chess ect. would not be considered sports but rather specialized talents or skills one must train specifically for in order to become successful. As far as powerlifting and or oly lifting, that is a tossup for me as to rather it is a sport or specialized skill.

what sports don’t have “specialized skills”

[quote]toroman wrote:

WTF?

I agree on the powerlifting part, but not olympic lifting.

[quote]BIG_DAWS wrote:
I think for something to be considered a sport, athletic movements must be involved.

As far as powerlifting and or oly lifting, that is a tossup for me as to rather it is a sport or specialized skill.

[/quote]

These two sentences seem to oppose each other.

[quote]superscience wrote:
toroman wrote:

WTF?

I agree on the powerlifting part, but not olympic lifting. [/quote]

How so?
I can see how one would consider both, or neither, but wonder how you would consider one a sport and not the other.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
whos to say what constitutes a sport anyway…

The dictionary?[/quote]

Not really. The dictionary gives generic definitions. To see what constitutes a sport needs a specific definition by a relevant academic such as a sport historian for example (IMHO).

I like coakleys example ‘institutionalized competitive activity that involves vigorous physical exertion or the use of relatively complex physical skills by individuals whose participation is motivated by a combination of intrinsic (e.g., self-satisfaction that comes with competition) and extrinsic (e.g., money and public adoration) factors.’

Either way, the prick who said WL and PL were not sports needs castrating.

I think the definition of what a sport is will vary depending on the individual, no matter what recognized authorities say.

The one definition I’ve been the happiest with so far is any competitive activity that requires a large amount of physical exertion and skill to be able to participate in the competition I already mentioned.

By that definition, PL/OL are sports, darts, poker, fishing, hoolahoops, etc. are not sports.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
superscience wrote:
toroman wrote:

WTF?

I agree on the powerlifting part, but not olympic lifting.

How so?
I can see how one would consider both, or neither, but wonder how you would consider one a sport and not the other.[/quote]

Because of the state powerlifting is in, powerlifting is just 3 simple exercises badly performed with silly equipment.

Olympic lifting is a complex skill also.

I’m not asking for an argument, it’s just my opinion.