T Nation

Please Read - Lower Back

hey guys i posted this in the rehab forum but did,nt get much feedback so i,m posting it in here because i know u strong guys will have similar problems =)

hope u can give me some advice

"hey guys i have got a few injuries but i just want to talk about my lower back.
my lower back to the right goes really tight (slght pain) and i can feel it when i,m exercisng and just doing day to day stuff. This happens more harshley after deadllfits and similair exercises. when this happens i just want to foam foam roll and massage it but it does'nt help that much. sometimes when i go on a lower back machines and do high reps it helps it go away alot. the other day i had to stop doing skipping and bw squats because it was aching so bad.

i foam roll(and criket ball) my whole most days and do glute activation exercises, i do core work but not enough and as frequent as should. i do train my posterior chain with stiff legged deadlifts(back feel o.k when i start with the weight on a step) and glute bridges

others issuses what could cause it are,
1.my groin to my right sight is alot tigher that my left and never seems to loosen up.
2.my lower back to the right side clicks sometimes when i lower my body side to side.
3. my lower back at the right side is sligtly less muscular than my left but is allways alot tighter than my left
4. i have winged scapular, a tight neck on my right side and pins nneedles down my right hand
5. i used to carry a bag on my right shoulder
6.my body does feel kinda twisted
i have had this injury for a 3/4 year after doing power cleans wrong, i have seen various physios in england which don't know how to cure it.
i have tried the usual rehab stuff i see on hear and other sites, foam roll, massage psoas, goin etc, work on posture, stop carrying a bag on my right side.

i took a year out of training and just did rehab stuff. now i am just am doing bare minimum training at the moment because my injuries and this makes me sad =( lol

any help will be much appreciated

any questions, photos or more info needed just ask =)"

Hey buddy

I would take this with a pinch of salt as im no expert but you might find something helpful .

Question 1 ) what do you do for job ?

You say you you get pain when deadlifting ? Might be worth getting a video up for some of the more experianced guys to check your form . I would also check see if your glutes are up to par as well could be possible that your shifting the bar with your back rather than using glutes/hammies but again video would help. With your groin being tight again might be using more hip flexors rather than sitting back .

for me when I had issues with posture and lowerback I spent a long time opening out hip flexors strengthing glutes and core and this was daily stuff and a shit ton of soft tissue work. I would also get tennis ball in and around your hips certainlly won't help your back if you have tight hips .

I also found sitting in a hindu deep squat for a few minutes every now and then seemed to just let my back relax into a natural position .

Sounds like some imbalances. Tight hip flexors, glutes not firing properly. It's not very surprising that high rep back extension work is helping (give rev hypers a go for more traction work that will help alleviate this). Also sounds like weak extensors thus forcing your hip flexors to get involved tightening up and pulling your SI joint out of whack.

This is just my analysis and am currently having a lot of the same issues. I've been to chiro and ART and the whole shabang for the last 14 weeks and while the pain was mitigated some, it wasn't fixing the problem so I have taken things into my own hands.

Foam roll:
TFL x 15 each leg
ITB x 15 each leg
Psoas x 15 each leg - also consider using a lacrosse ball here
Rectus Femoris x 15 each leg
Hamstrings x 15 each leg

Move into:
3D hamstring stretch x 15
Couch Stretch 6 x 5 second holds each leg, focus on activating glutes here
Hip distraction work (check out MobilityWOD.com)

Test whether or not your ability to raise your leg (by activating hip flexor) while lying on your back has improved. Make sure your ankle is dorsiflexed. If you have improved, then consider moving into harder psoa and glute activation exercises.

Just to add on to what has been previously said:

Reverse hypers are pretty much amazing for low back stuff.

Foam rolling/general mobility stuff is wildly important, both in rehab and in preventative measures

Look up the McKenzie method (this is mainly for lumbar disc problems, but should be beneficial for most any low back problem).

Some of what you're describing sounds like some issues I've had with my low back. My solution has been better pelvic positioning. before every training session I stretch my quadratus lumborum, psoas, and y hip flexors. then do glutebridges and planks. It works like a charm for me and eliminates the tightness I get from the day. I used to get this same tightness after, in particular, box squatting.

go to a chiropractor (or another professional) sounds lk to many problems for a forum to help fix

This isn't yahoo answers. There are plenty of people here who actually know their ass from their elbow and have already responded. Your post was retarded. It gets zero thumbs up.

cheers guys for all replies =)
worph123 i am an injured fitness instructor lol. my squat and deadlifting are good, but i can get a video taken and put on here. i am working alot on my opening up my hip flexors and soft tissue stuff, what core work and stretches helped you?

black_angus1 cheers i will check that out

LiquidMercury cheers for info how do you do hip distractions by urself? als mobiltywod i s a great website

thirdnalaga what quadratus lumborum stretch do u do?

boldgar i think chiro etc are crap lol

vtballa lol at ur comment

also i think i am going to give sumo deadlifts a try as i read these can be alot friendler on the lower back