Please Help With My Program - Basketball

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
i just did my monday workout yesteday and it went something like this…

went to sprint first…

3x3 hurdle jumps (1 min rest)
7x 10m sprints (45-60 sec rest)
5x 20 yard srints (30 sec rest) 1 min rest on last set
4x 30 yard spints (rest as u walk back to start) 1 min rest on last one
3x 40 yard sprints (2 min rest)

and weight training i did squat 3x10 (160 pounds)
then glute ham raises 4x8 , then calf raises with a 50 pound dumbell in each hand 3x20 and then after my sprints and weight training i played 3 games of pickup ball at the ymca

and surprisingly today i dont feel as sore as i did after last weeks tuesday workout i dont kno why but whatever[/quote]

What is your primary goal? Is it to increase strength, vertical jump or improve basketball skills or conditioning?

If your primary goal is to increase strength, I would drop the sprint work, especially if you are continuing to play basketball. Playing basketball should help maintain your sprinting form and maintain/increase conditioning levels. Then, any increase you have in strength should lead to increased speed.

I am not a big fan of mixing strength/duration work with speed/rate work at the same time (except for maybe short periods where you train all qualities at once, which is something that I will experiment with soon for very short blocks). I have noticed better results by splitting the 2 qualities into different blocks.

If you do not follow my above advice, at least increase the rest periods between sprints. Everything looks good for the 10yds. Rest for 60-90sec for 20yds, 90-120sec for 30yds, and 120-150s for 40yds. Between the different distances I would rest for 3-5 minutes.

I would also just focus on 10yds and 20yds with increased reps for a little while (drop 30 and 40yds). Then perform 30 and 40yds in the next phase/block.

You want full recovery between reps and sets for all speed work and acceleration work.

If you want to increase conditioning, you can either continue playing basketball as noted above and perform strength work. Or you can perform “Tempo” sessions with strength work. The “tempo” sessions could be your sprinting program performed at <75% top speed with incomplete recoveries or GPP circuits or other athletic movements (agility, backpedaling, etc.) or straight ahead runs or any combination thereof. There are many other combinations that would work well, those are just a few examples.

Hopefully this long post will help you and not confuse you.

lol sorry it actually confused me. cuz liek i want to just gain strength while getting conditioning up and just losing fat i mean i can do all that cant i with my program and a healthy diet right cuz i am lifting heavy i am sprinting and running and eating healthy. why change anything

You might wanna consider WSB, TTT, TBT or the holiday program in place of your routine since these routines were built for athletes.

lol sorry it actually confused me. cuz liek i want to just gain strength while getting conditioning up and just losing fat i mean i can do all that cant i with my program and a healthy diet right cuz i am lifting heavy i am sprinting and running and eating healthy. why change anything[/quote]

How often do you play basketball? If you are playing 2 or more times per week, then you will be increasing your conditioning through play and there is no need for sprint work. Playing baksetball will require you to sprint and perform other movements that will provide both aerobic and anaerobic conditioning as well as help with fat loss.

Again if you insist on performing sprint work with your current program you need to increase rest periods to allow for full recovery. You will not increase speed or acceleration much without full recovery between reps and sets of sprints.

Decreased rest periods during sprint work and following weight and sprint sessions with basketball will most likely limit the gains you make on your program.

the rest periods i am following are the ones on westside for skinny bastards 2, its his same sprint workout i am using

the rest periods i am following are the ones on westside for skinny bastards 2, its his same sprint workout i am using[/quote]

If you will read the article again, you will see that he is providing a sample off-season template for football. His goal is to prepare them for training camp. He is trying to improve their conditioning. His players are not playing basketball several times a week and his primary goal is not to increase speed. His routine is very different from yours. He has decreased weight training for legs to once a week secondary to the linear and change of direction work.

Again, if you are playing basketball several times a week, conditioning is not your problem. If you are not playing basketball, your “sprinting” program will help to improve your conditioning.

ok i want to improve speed then with sprinting ill just rest more