Please, Help With My Bench!

[quote]super saiyan wrote:
Nothing else helpful to add. I just realized that I could call you Ass Clown and you can’t get offended. Ha ha. Bye Ass Clown.

By the way just what is an ass clown? Is it literally the ass of a clown? Or perhaps an ass made to look like a clown? Anyone? Any ass clown enthusiasts out there that can shed some light on this mystery?[/quote]

It’s from some wrestler or something, and that Indian dude on Bad Santa. My brother used to call me it all the time

I’m not sure about the program that n3wb mentioned, it costs money so I’ve never had a look at it.

Personally this Bench Program by Dave Tate has worked wonders for my numbers:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459490

It takes a lot of the complication out of the Conjugate/ Westside method.

You just follow it pretty much to the letter and you get results.

My rear delts in particular had never received so much attention before. I’ve gone from 6x55lbs to 6x95lbs in DB Face Pulls and my Bench has increased by 40lbs as well.

I’m now into my second cycle of the program and still seeing constant strength gains despite the fact that I’m currently cutting.

If your priority is the Bench, set aside 8 weeks and give it a go, I reckon you won’t be disappointed.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
It’s anywhere between bottom and 4 inches off. I understand where each muscle plays it’s biggest role in the bodybuilding style bench and that’s why I was bitching about that space on the outside of my pecs earlier. It never feels tight or springy. I like springy :-)[/quote]

AssClown…[snicker…that kills me…]

Ya, remember, you are talking about two different animals here, the bodybuilding style and the power style. Regardless, from the sounds of it, when you start training your bench with a more appropriate style, I would look to do a lot of two and three-board work after doing an initial two week crash initiation to a power program.

Remember that the initial push with a powerlifting bench style is going to utilize muscle groups in a different way and a different order than you are used to.

Dave Tate was mentioned and you can’t go wrong following that advice. Just remember, keep it simple and LEARN THE TECHNIQUE. This will put you well on your way.

Also, wrangle up training partners. You will need them for safety and to allow you to train to failure and beyond. This will give you the gains in strength. Dont forget to allow for adequate recovery as well.

assclown,

ive been stuck with a 260-265 ish bench for about 3 months. 6 weeks ago i took advice from a friend and started doing weighted pushups with my hands on plates. This let me increase the range of motion, and when i did them i made sure to make my chest touch the ground.

3 sets to failure during every bench workout, with about 45 punds on my back to start off with. Each week add 5 pounds. I believe that by doing them off plates you make the bottom of your bench stronger, similar to deadlifting off of plates.

Yesterday i benched 305. no joke. while your triceps and shoulders help in the bench, your pecs are a huge muscle group and should not be neglected. some people are tricep benchers, some are chest based. as others have said, work on getting a strong tuck and arch as well. good luck man, just work you’re weak areas…

Again, I’m lovin’ the help. Last night I went out for a little DE work and got into the archin’ deal. The only problem I really had was keeping my traps pinned to the bench. It was pretty hard and they slipped a lot, but I got a really good arch. Any advice on that?

Focus on keeping your lower body tight and drive your traps into the bench. That should keep you nice and stable.

I’d say start doing db bench presses as it is not good to do the same exercise all the time and the dbs will force you to keep your elbows close to your body.

Ideally the bar should touch the bottom of the sternum when benching. The path will be an arc not strait up and down. You can even use the velocity of the arc (horizontal motion)to get the weight up and press more.