Please Help with DB Press

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Sets/reps? (straight sets?)

Hmm. Sure you need 3 big presses and flyes?
Could try incline+flat + flyes and call it a day and concentrate on those first two exercises…
[/quote]

Knowing no other details, this is the advice I mos agree with. Put the DB press first in your workout, stick to the higher rep range for now (6-10), and try to add reps each week.

Also, I don’t know how comfortable you are yet when handling heavy dumbbells, but if you’re having trouble with technique you might consider working down in weight for a couple sets following your top weight, just to get in a little more practice.

You’re still gaining weight, yes?

Me personally, I don’t do any DB presses that I can’t do 6-8 reps with… You try to catch one coming out of the groove with 120s and you’ll end up with a surgeon…

That being said, I touch the chest and back to the top, and lock out as needed to catch my breath- 120s are heavy…

Hey man part of the issue is that you are expecting sudden change. Doesn’t work that way… Focus on strengthening your stabilizer muscles. Try adding some basic push-ups to your repertoire and believe it or not your back has a lot do with how much weight you can put up. Try some rows for a while and see how that affects your Bench.

Just wanted to add in… some rotator cuff prep and making sure to do a few sets repping the dbs just to work on control. As you make the lift more challenging by adding weight - it becomes more crucial that you keep the movement path entirely controlled and really emphasize squeezing your chest to move the weight as with any other chest press movement.

If strength is the goal there are some good programs (Wendler seems popular but I haven’t tried it). I prefer to ramp up to a hard set of 3 to 5.

Separate from the program itself, technique is key…for me anyway. I get more pressing power if I focus on a tight upper back and really squeeze the shoulder blades together (big breath, squeeze the upper back, lower the weight, keep the squeeze and shoulders back and press).

Without strict set up, my shoulders roll forward and I feel strain in the joint and less strength.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
bring them down until the DB touches your chest then bring them up until just before arms lockout, you dont want to lockout on any kind of presses especially with heavier weight - its very stressful on the elbows.[/quote]

Yeah sorry but this idea is a load of crap. It’s not far off from not squatting more than 90 degrees. Pushing a heavy load with your triceps is stressful on the elbows period and wherever this idea came from it should go back. There are some who like to avoid locking out on pressing movements to keep tension on the chest, for example, but has nothing to do with that. If there is any truth to this then I suppose rack lockouts will kill you and every powerlifter that benches, board presses, etc would be screwed.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Whoa… Form, setup, technique…

Also, what is your routine like?

My routine has been lately:

Monday Chest:

Ill usually do my inlcline bb bench first, then flat db, then decline bb, then some flyes… switched from flat bb bench and incline db press about a month and a half ago…

Could try incline+flat + flyes and call it a day and concentrate on those first two exercises…
[/quote]

You should really try focusing on one bp movement per session. For one thing it allows variety in your routine and allows you to really focus on blasting one exercise, and then move on. Touching your chest isn’t a bad idea but it does lend itself to a narrower grip than you would have with a normal bp. Try emulating a bb bp movement with the db’s. DB movements are great but they can be a mother to get that db in place with heavier weights…tho they do make little hook-and-strap tools for that.

If you are trying them only because you have plateaued I would go back to myself and other’s advice on just focus on one main chest movement with a bb. Rotating 2-3 exercises is a great way to add variety so you aren’t doing the same exact workout every time. Maybe pick flat, decline and incline or even throw in gironda’s bench to neck. If you are determined to do flyes you could toss them in at the end, but really it’s unecessary.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I’m curious, ebraun…

What’s your goal here? Just moving lots of weight, something along the lines of power lifting, or are you more into developing a nice chest?

Just confused as to why your jumping back and forth with BB and DB bench.
[/quote]

Well, basically just tryin to get past my rut…

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Knowing no other details, this is the advice I mos agree with. Put the DB press first in your workout, stick to the higher rep range for now (6-10), and try to add reps each week.

Also, I don’t know how comfortable you are yet when handling heavy dumbbells, but if you’re having trouble with technique you might consider working down in weight for a couple sets following your top weight, just to get in a little more practice.

You’re still gaining weight, yes?[/quote]

thanks for the good advice… i havnt been gaining much weight lately either. im stuck at about 97 kilos right now and my goal is about 110. I started uping my cals and protein to about 2-3 grams per bodyweight… getting 3 grams is kinda difficult…

[quote]JMAX wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Whoa… Form, setup, technique…

Also, what is your routine like?

My routine has been lately:

Monday Chest:

Ill usually do my inlcline bb bench first, then flat db, then decline bb, then some flyes… switched from flat bb bench and incline db press about a month and a half ago…

You should really try focusing on one bp movement per session. For one thing it allows variety in your routine and allows you to really focus on blasting one exercise, and then move on. Touching your chest isn’t a bad idea but it does lend itself to a narrower grip than you would have with a normal bp. Try emulating a bb bp movement with the db’s. DB movements are great but they can be a mother to get that db in place with heavier weights…tho they do make little hook-and-strap tools for that.

If you are trying them only because you have plateaued I would go back to myself and other’s advice on just focus on one main chest movement with a bb. Rotating 2-3 exercises is a great way to add variety so you aren’t doing the same exact workout every time. Maybe pick flat, decline and incline or even throw in gironda’s bench to neck. If you are determined to do flyes you could toss them in at the end, but really it’s unecessary.
[/quote]

Yea will try that… thanks…

I think this is becoming more complicated than it needs to be.Follow Dudinator’s routine
Week 1: 5x5
Week 2: 6x5
Week 3: 7x5
I like this.If your trying to press more than you need to build strength, that doesnt mean just by doing DB bench, Do rack lifts, weighted dips and close grip bench.All of these things will up your bench.

twoscoops2 aked if you were trying to lift more weight like power lifting or build a nice chest.That doesnt make any sense to me because my theory on weighlifting is if you can say bench the 120’s for reps then you can probably bench the 100’s for more reps.This is gonna equate to more muscle built which will develop a nice solid chest with some nice strength to go with it.

[quote]JMAX wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
bring them down until the DB touches your chest then bring them up until just before arms lockout, you dont want to lockout on any kind of presses especially with heavier weight - its very stressful on the elbows.

Yeah sorry but this idea is a load of crap. It’s not far off from not squatting more than 90 degrees. Pushing a heavy load with your triceps is stressful on the elbows period and wherever this idea came from it should go back. There are some who like to avoid locking out on pressing movements to keep tension on the chest, for example, but has nothing to do with that. If there is any truth to this then I suppose rack lockouts will kill you and every powerlifter that benches, board presses, etc would be screwed.[/quote]

suck my dick.

JMAX wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
bring them down until the DB touches your chest then bring them up until just before arms lockout, you dont want to lockout on any kind of presses especially with heavier weight - its very stressful on the elbows.

Yeah sorry but this idea is a load of crap. It’s not far off from not squatting more than 90 degrees. Pushing a heavy load with your triceps is stressful on the elbows period and wherever this idea came from it should go back. There are some who like to avoid locking out on pressing movements to keep tension on the chest, for example, but has nothing to do with that. If there is any truth to this then I suppose rack lockouts will kill you and every powerlifter that benches, board presses, etc would be screwed.

suck my dick.[/quote]

lol what do you mean where did it come from it makes perfect sense when your elbows are locked the tension is shifted, also note power lifters get hurt quite frequently

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
I think this is becoming more complicated than it needs to be.Follow Dudinator’s routine
I like this.If your trying to press more than you need to build strength, that doesnt mean just by doing DB bench, Do rack lifts, weighted dips and close grip bench.All of these things will up your bench.

twoscoops2 aked if you were trying to lift more weight like power lifting or build a nice chest.That doesnt make any sense to me because my theory on weighlifting is if you can say bench the 120’s for reps then you can probably bench the 100’s for more reps.This is gonna equate to more muscle built which will develop a nice solid chest with some nice strength to go with it.

[/quote]

ok il try this… r u sayin to increase the reps or sets each week? 7 sets times 5 reps?

JMAX wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

suck my dick.[/quote]

This gave me my first LOL of the day, thanks.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
JMAX wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

suck my dick.

This gave me my first LOL of the day, thanks.

[/quote]

dont thank me, thank JMAX

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
horsepuss wrote:

ok il try this… r u sayin to increase the reps or sets each week? 7 sets times 5 reps?

[/quote]

Yes you can do this acouple different ways,Work toward 5 sets of 5 reps then when you hit that shoot for 6x5 the next week then when you hit that mark either add weight and start over at 5x5 or go to 7x5 before adding weight.