T Nation

Please Help Me Out

When I was a kid I did martial arts and was always skinny, once I stopped around the age of 12-13 I started getting fat. Was fat all the way until 17, when I got sick of it and ate less / did a lot of jump rope (cardio). Lost 40 lbs that summer, as well as the majority of my strength. Though I gained a great amount of confidence that has helped me out a ton. Even though I lost that weight, I would have considered myself “skinny-fat” at this point.

I started working out seriously about a month ago, and went from 160lbs - 165lbs in that month.

My bench went from 95x5 to 140x5
Squat went from 135x5 to 215x5
Deadlift went from 135x5 to 210x5

I made pretty good progress but i’m obviously still weak.

Here are 5 pictures of me after this month: http://imgur.com/6XRJdqP,AibLEuG,KeKA4f3,QYjxm73,7iLsVr6#3

In the full body picture you honestly can’t tell, but my quads/calves are big and my upper body is lagging behind.

This past month I’ve been doing this workout routine:

ICF Novice 5x5 Fullbody (ABA BAB)

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5
Barbell Shrug 3x8
Skullcrusher 3x8
Chins 3x5-8
or Striaght Bar/Incline Curl 3x8
Hyperextention 2x10
Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Deadlift 1x5
Standing Press 5x5
Barbell Row 5x5 -10%
CGBP 3x8
Straight Bar or Incline Curl 3x8
Kneeling Cable Crunch 3x10-20

It was fine at first but now after this month i’m starting to burn out hard. Just stalled on my squat, deloaded 10% to 190 and 190x5 felt just as hard. Deloaded 10% on my bench as well back to 130x5 and it also felt just as hard.

I’m really starting to get sick of squatting half an hour every workout, and being in the gym for an hour and a half - two hours each session. Since last week every workout has demotivated me more and more, i’m finding it a hassle to get to the gym and this isn’t like me at all. I don’t want to continue squatting 3x a week either, it’s simply too much squatting for me (used to love squats, now starting to dread them)

I need to switch my routine, I wanted to stick to this for at least a few more months but I’m simply starting to hate it. I’ve done my research and bought a food scale, know how to count macros, etc.

I believe I have good genetics (wide shoulders, good insertions, big calves) and I certainly don’t want to quit working out, I want to finally be able to take my shirt off at the beach without being self conscious about my body. I also want to gain strength, obviously.

If anybody could recommend me another routine, or even go further and “coach” me a bit it would be greatly appreciated. I’m willing to put in 110% (I know most people say this, but this is no joke im very serious about achieving my goals), and I have been until recently but like I said i’m starting to burn out and get demotivated on this routine. I only turned 18 december and still have noob gains incoming as i’ve only worked out for a month.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this if you have, and any replies are appreciated.

If you don’t want to squat three days a week raise the volume and that will pretty much force you to only squat only twice a week… To me it sounds like you just need to switch it up for a bit… Think about doing some 8-10 rep work and do that for a while and bump back down to 5’s after that… I have always liked doing pyramid cycles where I start out doing 10’s for a few weeks then go to 8’s then to 5’s and finish off doing 3’s… To me that is a good way to keep it fresh and at the end you can max out and find your starting point for your next cycle…

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:
If you don’t want to squat three days a week raise the volume and that will pretty much force you to only squat only twice a week… To me it sounds like you just need to switch it up for a bit… Think about doing some 8-10 rep work and do that for a while and bump back down to 5’s after that… I have always liked doing pyramid cycles where I start out doing 10’s for a few weeks then go to 8’s then to 5’s and finish off doing 3’s… To me that is a good way to keep it fresh and at the end you can max out and find your starting point for your next cycle…[/quote]

I really don’t want to continue doing this routine, spending a half hour on squats and then another hour and a half on everything else is demotivating me. 2 hour workouts are too long for me, I end up not giving it my all after the compound lifts.

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:
If you don’t want to squat three days a week raise the volume and that will pretty much force you to only squat only twice a week… To me it sounds like you just need to switch it up for a bit… Think about doing some 8-10 rep work and do that for a while and bump back down to 5’s after that… I have always liked doing pyramid cycles where I start out doing 10’s for a few weeks then go to 8’s then to 5’s and finish off doing 3’s… To me that is a good way to keep it fresh and at the end you can max out and find your starting point for your next cycle…[/quote]

I really don’t want to continue doing this routine, spending a half hour on squats and then another hour and a half on everything else is demotivating me. 2 hour workouts are too long for me, I end up not giving it my all after the compound lifts.
[/quote]
You are getting burnt out for sure, do you take any supps? Maybe a good pre-workout could get you jacked up to workout… also obviously switching up your workouts…

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[/quote]
You are getting burnt out for sure, do you take any supps? Maybe a good pre-workout could get you jacked up to workout… also obviously switching up your workouts…[/quote]

The only supps I take are Creatine, Fish Oil, and my ON Whey Protein Powder has some BCAA’s in it.

I haven’t been taking any PWO, simply eating a lot of carbs before a workout. I just signed up for some free samples though so I can try some out.

I’ve been thinking of switching to a simple push/pull/legs and instead of having dedicated rest days, listening to my body and resting when I need to.

What do you think?

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[/quote]
You are getting burnt out for sure, do you take any supps? Maybe a good pre-workout could get you jacked up to workout… also obviously switching up your workouts…[/quote]

The only supps I take are Creatine, Fish Oil, and my ON Whey Protein Powder has some BCAA’s in it.

I haven’t been taking any PWO, simply eating a lot of carbs before a workout. I just signed up for some free samples though so I can try some out.

I’ve been thinking of switching to a simple push/pull/legs and instead of having dedicated rest days, listening to my body and resting when I need to.

What do you think?
[/quote]

Your workout routine is shite. You really shouldn’t bother with all that shitty isolation work when your starting out. That comes later. For the first six months all you should be doing is squat, bench, dead, military press and a ton of rows. If you can do pull-ups even better if not then lat pull downs. You also need to cut the workouts down to less than an hour or better.

Monday. Squat, bench, dumbbell rows, military press
Tuesday. Chest supported rows, pull ups

Thursday. Squat, incline bench, dumbell rows (standing)
Friday. Military press, dead lift (trap bar if you can find one), barbell rows

Simple exercises, just work the shite out of them, do sets of 3-5 Monday and tues and ten to twelve Thursday and Friday. Sometimes switch it round. Gradually increase the weight each week and don’t add weight again till your reps adjust to the new weight. Eat and sleep properly and your done.

[quote]MassiveGuns wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[/quote]

What do you think?
[/quote]

Your workout routine is shite. You really shouldn’t bother with all that shitty isolation work when your starting out. That comes later. For the first six months all you should be doing is squat, bench, dead, military press and a ton of rows. If you can do pull-ups even better if not then lat pull downs. You also need to cut the workouts down to less than an hour or better.

Simple exercises, just work the shite out of them, do sets of 3-5 Monday and tues and ten to twelve Thursday and Friday. Sometimes switch it round. Gradually increase the weight each week and don’t add weight again till your reps adjust to the new weight. Eat and sleep properly and your done.

[/quote]
I think you should do exactly what he just said… I knew you needed to switch it up but I figured somebody with more knowledge of what to do would eventually tell you a good spilt… Good luck.

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[/quote]

What do you think?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Whats the difference between this, and say, Lyle Mcdonald’s bulking routine?

how many sets of each exercise? Bout 3-4 ?

On tuesday it looks like my workout would last 20 minutes, doing only two exercises.

Would this truly be better than a simple push/pull/legs consisting of compounds for me?

(Note: I am not doubting you, just asking further questions for my knowledge)

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[/quote]

What do you think?
[/quote]

[/quote]

On tuesday it looks like my workout would last 20 minutes, doing only two exercises.

Would this truly be better than a simple push/pull/legs consisting of compounds for me?

[/quote]
Me personally I like to split up my days by body part right now I do legs mon and fri back and tri’s tue shoulders wed check and bi’s Thursday… But I am going to alter it a bit and do shoulders on Friday as well as my main lower body lifts… That sort of split could work good for you except you would want to focus on the big lifts for those days…

If you want to look up my log its “revenge of the krumms” you can also look at other logs and get ideas from there… What MG is right on though, as a beginner you need to focus on your compound lifts and get good at those… As far as reps 3-4 sets of 8-12 is common for size while 5-6 sets of 4-6 is common for strength…

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:

[quote]krummdiddy wrote:

[/quote]

What do you think?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Trust me on this, it will fill you out faster than anything else as long as you eat. As far as how take each set, heres what you need to do as a begginer. You need to learn how your body reacts to training. You need to get a mental feel of when things are too much, and when to back off.

I’ll give an example. First off you want two of those workouts a week balls to the wall. Make sure you hit squat, deads, one bench variation and one pull session to total absolute failure. Work up to your 3-5RM over 4-5 sets so you have some warm up, then push out 3 work sets. After the work sets drop the max you could handle for the heaviest set to 40-50% then bang out a few more sets till you cant do any more.

After one of those workouts, you should leave at least two days before that kind of intensity again. Rows you can push as hard as you can. If you start to get tired, lets say on a second day row, then you can cut the weight.

So tuesday is 20 mins at standard intensity, if you start adding more sets, say five sets of ten with lighter weight, then it will come out 35 to 40.

You also need to learn to contract your muscles correctly when doing those exercises. Find someone who knows what the fuck they are doing and very very nicely ask them to show you the ropes. You might even find someone decent to train you. Whatever you do be respectful and don’t be a dick.

If you feel beat up at any point, you have two options, delay a workout, so take another rest day then restart the split. The timetable is set like it is so if come thursday you are knackered, you can take a day off and come back saturday then get some good rest in.

Listen to your body, and push as hard as you can when you can.

Make sure you at the VERY LEAST, count your protein, and count your calories. Do it exactly for a couple of weeks then you can just estimate, since your gonna bulk you dont need to be too strict IMO. Just get an idea of what foods are worth nutrition wise and learn it. Write the macros down, do it till you know that shit inside out and upside down.

Oh yeah, and sort out your sleep. Seriously, if you want to achieve anything with this, go to bed early, and get some proper sleep. Make sure your room is quiet, and comfy, not too hot etc.

Oh yeah and start drinking milk.

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:
I started working out seriously about a month ago[/quote]
This is news to me.

You’ve been asking pretty much the exact same question here for the last five months.
Jan 22, “What’s a Good Split”

Jan 23 (morning), “How’s This Split?”

Jan 23 (night), “What’s a Good Split?”

March 3, “What’s a Good Routine?”

March 7, “How’s This Split?”

March 12, "How’s This Split?

April 18, “What’s a Good Split?”

May 3, “How’s This Routine?”

And now this thread. If you’re not a troll, you’ve got the worst case of training ADD I’ve seen in a long time.

You need to change routines like I need another hole in my dong.

Based on your history, I really don’t think you did.

Re-read any of your old threads. You’ve been recommended routines and you’ve gotten coaching advice.

Slow down, pay attention, man up, and stick to a plan for 90 days without punking out.

Appreciated… ignored… same difference. Come on, man.

P.S. - If it seems like I’m busting your balls just for the sake of it, I’m not. It sucks to see you mindfucking yourself with ridiculously frequent changes when, if you buckle down and stick to a plan for several months in a row, you’re in an almost-perfect condition to see great progress. You’re young, kinda lean, and apparently motivated (too much so, probably). Do work, reap rewards.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:
This is news to me.

You’ve been asking pretty much the exact same question here for the last five months.

And now this thread. If you’re not a troll, you’ve got the worst case of training ADD I’ve seen in a long time.

Re-read any of your old threads. You’ve been recommended routines and you’ve gotten coaching advice.

Slow down, pay attention, man up, and stick to a plan for 90 days without punking out.

P.S. - If it seems like I’m busting your balls just for the sake of it, I’m not. It sucks to see you mindfucking yourself with ridiculously frequent changes when, if you buckle down and stick to a plan for several months in a row, you’re in an almost-perfect condition to see great progress. You’re young, kinda lean, and apparently motivated (too much so, probably). Do work, reap rewards.[/quote]

ZING, CC strikes back against the cunt nuggets once more hahahha

At first I read the OP liek the weights were in kg, I was like man that’s not so bad…

Then I saw CC’s response, dude come on!

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]Ampedlift wrote:
This is news to me.

P.S. - If it seems like I’m busting your balls just for the sake of it, I’m not. It sucks to see you mindfucking yourself with ridiculously frequent changes when, if you buckle down and stick to a plan for several months in a row, you’re in an almost-perfect condition to see great progress. You’re young, kinda lean, and apparently motivated (too much so, probably). Do work, reap rewards.[/quote]

ZING, CC strikes back against the cunt nuggets once more hahahha
[/quote]
Second this rattle,I love it when Chris does this.Too funny.

[quote]jppage wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:
ZING, CC strikes back against the cunt nuggets once more hahahha[/quote]
Second this rattle,I love it when Chris does this.Too funny.[/quote]
It’s crazy how much background info I learn, or am reminded of, by simply clicking “hub” and seeing who’s doing the asking before I chime in with my two cents on a thread.

Just shoot for 300 g pro every day and go on any bodybuilding routine and stick with it. Muscle is built slowly so have patience, I haven’t taken more than a week off in 4 years. I’ll just tell you what to do… do layne norton’s PHAT