T Nation

Please Help Me Design A Program

I’m 16 and have been training seriously for a little over 1 and 1/2 years. My ONLY focus is to gain strength. I don’t know many PL lifts, but the ones I do know include:

deadlifts
bench press
squats
good morninings
romanian deadlifts
rows

I also like to include these:

close grip bench
skull crushers
straight bar curls
upright rows
one arm dumbell rows
lat pull downs
pull ups
calf raises

As I said before my only goal is strength. Could someone please suggest some more PL lifts and help me organize which to do on what days? I also have no idea what rep range to work in. I usually do a 10,6,3 for all the main compound lifts, but I’ve heard good things about the 10 sets of 3 reps.

I know it’s not exactly proper etiquette to ask for someone to design a program for me, but if some people could suggest lifts and rep range I can definatly try to set up the days. Also, I have no problem dropping any exercise I listed from the “I like to include” list.

I can work out for 2 hours a day Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday; and as long as nescessary on the weekends.

~Pitbull11188

[quote]pitbull11188 wrote:
I’m 16 and have been training seriously for a little over 1 and 1/2 years. My ONLY focus is to gain strength. I don’t know many PL lifts, but the ones I do know include:

deadlifts
bench press
squats
good morninings
romanian deadlifts
rows

I also like to include these:

close grip bench
skull crushers
straight bar curls
upright rows
one arm dumbell rows
lat pull downs
pull ups
calf raises

As I said before my only goal is size. Could someone please suggest some more PL lifts and help me organize which to do on what days? I also have no idea what rep range to work in. I usually do a 10,6,3 for all the main compound lifts, but I’ve heard good things about the 10 sets of 3 reps.

I know it’s not exactly proper etiquette to ask for someone to design a program for me, but if some people could suggest lifts and rep range I can definatly try to set up the days. Also, I have no problem dropping any exercise I listed from the “I like to include” list.

I can work out for 2 hours a day Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday; and as long as nescessary on the weekends.

~Pitbull11188

[/quote]

Wow! Where to start.

You said you only want to gain strength first. Then said later that you only wanted to gain size. While the 2 aren’t independent of one another, if you have a real goal that would help with your program.

Next–you’re set up to workout too much. For your age a 3 times a week program is more than enough. Your exercises looked fine. You’ve included most of the big lifts and doing some iso’s isn’t a bad thing at all.
Try looking into Chad Waterbury’s ABBH or possible TBT or Waterbury program. These are 3 excellent total body workouts, performed 3 times a week. Excellent.

Your workouts should be focused and intense, therefor there is no need to workout for 2 hours 4+ times a week.
3-4 hours a week hitting the iron should suffice for most. As you mature and progress you can see what works for you. Some guys benefit by more, some not.

At your age, diet is crucial. Eat all you can, whenever you can. Some will depend on your true goal. But why not do both. At your age, and for the next few years, you can really take advantage of the body’s natural suppy of T and metabolic ferocity. Your hormones are flying and your muscle building and fat burning mechanisms are typically at their highest.

The tendency is to do too much. Proper rest and diet will be very beneficial. That said, don’t use that as an excuse not to be very intense.

I’m an idiot. I meant strength sorry I’ll edit that. Also, I mean I can work out on those days, not that I do. I generally train 4 times a week.

I know exactly how you feel. I started when i was a sophmore in High School. I had no idea what to do so i read all the muscle and fitness magazines and Mens health.
I finally came up with my plan (mind you everybody’s body reacts different to types of training.) But I’m into to serious lifting now and heres the deal thats worked for me.
Try working on a 7 day schedule for awesome results. Diet is very important like he said.

monday~ Chest shoulders and triceps

~bench
~weighted dips
~superset some pushups with cable crossovers
~dumbell incline press
~tricep pulldowns
~heavy shoulder presses
~later dumbell raises or you can do a cable lateral raise which works well for those rear and middle delts
then hit some abs and drink ur shakes and pass out in your bed

Tuesday~ Quads, Calves, Hams, glutes, lower back

~start with a heavy sqaut smith machine or free if u wish
~superset a leg curl with leg extensions
~hit some heavy leg press
~lunges or standing leg curls
~do some heavy seated and standing calve raises
~end with a heavy deadlift and u can throw in some bridging or prone supermans to really tear that LB up

Wednsday ~rest day cuz i always feel hit hard after

thursday ~back traps biceps and neck muscles if u want

~weighted pullups
~LAT PULL DOWN
~heavy one arm rows
~dumble shrugs
~seated row or T-bar row
~cable bicep curls
~Drop set bicep curls
~neck Wrestler bridges where u roll ur body weght onto the top of ur head from a lying down position then return back to the ground
~finish with soem abs and shrugs or w/e u feel is lagging

Friday~hit up another leg work out like the one I gave you but u can add front squats or some polymetrics and what not

Saturday~since this is a long day if u don’t have a job make it ur arms specific day
~curls
~pullups
~bench
~pulldowns
~rows
~tricep extensions
~dips
the arms day is good for hittinf the back and chest again but its a tiring process

Sunday~ soem polymetrics and cardio and call it a day so u can fully heal for tomorrows chest workout

So thats a weeks workout for me sometimes. I get plans that screw it up but this is what i like to strive for, and its worked.

WESTSIDE!!!

[quote]lats-like-wings wrote:
I know exactly how you feel. I started when i was a sophmore in High School. I had no idea what to do so i read all the muscle and fitness magazines and Mens health.
I finally came up with my plan (mind you everybody’s body reacts different to types of training.) But I’m into to serious lifting now and heres the deal thats worked for me.
Try working on a 7 day schedule for awesome results. Diet is very important like he said.

monday~ Chest shoulders and triceps

~bench
~weighted dips
~superset some pushups with cable crossovers
~dumbell incline press
~tricep pulldowns
~heavy shoulder presses
~later dumbell raises or you can do a cable lateral raise which works well for those rear and middle delts
then hit some abs and drink ur shakes and pass out in your bed

Tuesday~ Quads, Calves, Hams, glutes, lower back

~start with a heavy sqaut smith machine or free if u wish
~superset a leg curl with leg extensions
~hit some heavy leg press
~lunges or standing leg curls
~do some heavy seated and standing calve raises
~end with a heavy deadlift and u can throw in some bridging or prone supermans to really tear that LB up

Wednsday ~rest day cuz i always feel hit hard after

thursday ~back traps biceps and neck muscles if u want

~weighted pullups
~LAT PULL DOWN
~heavy one arm rows
~dumble shrugs
~seated row or T-bar row
~cable bicep curls
~Drop set bicep curls
~neck Wrestler bridges where u roll ur body weght onto the top of ur head from a lying down position then return back to the ground
~finish with soem abs and shrugs or w/e u feel is lagging

Friday~hit up another leg work out like the one I gave you but u can add front squats or some polymetrics and what not

Saturday~since this is a long day if u don’t have a job make it ur arms specific day
~curls
~pullups
~bench
~pulldowns
~rows
~tricep extensions
~dips
the arms day is good for hittinf the back and chest again but its a tiring process

Sunday~ soem polymetrics and cardio and call it a day so u can fully heal for tomorrows chest workout

So thats a weeks workout for me sometimes. I get plans that screw it up but this is what i like to strive for, and its worked.[/quote]

This program is not good.

It might work for you???but this is not a program that should be advised by anyone. There are so many flaws in the makeup that I only have time to critique but a few.

1. Chest,shld,tri on one day–nix. After benches and dips all types od iso’s, what ya got left for heavy shld presses.

2. After all that leg work you then suggest heavy deads as a way to end the workout. Deads are an all encompassing lift that deserve first in order.

3. Why lat pull-downs after weighted pull ups? Not completely ridiculous on some super cycle, but as a matter of regular rotation–not ideal

4. Wasting a whole day on arms is–well,wasting a whole day. You trash your arms on Sat. so you can come back Mon. with cest,shld,tri–which all take alot of tri work.

Listen, I’m not here to beat anybody up, but if you’re gonna hand out advise,you should know what you’re talking about. If it works for you, I’d be surprised you could maintain anygains over any length of time, good. But this is not a sound workout for anyone who isn’t juicing. And even then the lifts could be better placed.

You mention nothing of weight/rep schemes so I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you’re not trashing yourself each workout–though your little captions would suggest otherwise.

This workout cis to top heavy with arms and iso’s. Your time and energy would be much better put into compound lifts, done with proper/periodized weights/reps and if you want to throw in a couple of sets of iso work on the back end feel free.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
WESTSIDE!!![/quote]

I agree, if you want to focus on strength. To make it easy find the Westside For Skinny Bastards program on this site.

Alternatively, at your age it may be a better idea to build up some size along with strength to make sure you have a solid base to work with if you want to get into power lifting. It is very important that you get the basics right before moving on to a very advanced program.

In that case I would recommend following a few of Chad Waterbury’s programs on this site. Start with ABBH1 and ABBH2. Often you will find the correct order of all of his programs in the thread that follows each program article, or you can ask Chad himself during Prime Time.

Hope this helps,

Ben

Focusing on a very basic program is probably the best idea. My son is 15 and has recently had great results with just one lift - shrug bar deadlift. I had him lifting three times a week, starting with 4 sets of 10, then 5X8, 6X7, 7X6, 8X5, 10X4 with the weight going up 2 1/2 kg each workout. When he finished the 10X4 he started back at 4X10 with a weight 5 kg more than the first 4X10.