T Nation

Please Critique My Workout

I was previously doing this workout. The weights increased each session and I started stalling and moving backwards. Obviously I could not longer handle increasing the weights each time.

Week A
Day 1
Squat 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Chin-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

Day 2
Front Squat 3x5 OR Light Squat 2x5 (80% 5RM)
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Day 3
Squat 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Week B
Day 1
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Day 2
Bench press 3x5
Power clean 5x3

Day 3
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Pull-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

Now I am following a modified version of this: (Warmups not listed)

Week A
Day 1
Pause Squat 3x5 (Box squat without the box to increase hamstring & hip flexors, designed to fix issues coming out of the hole. 15-20KG less than Squat max)
Bench press
Perform 8 sets of 3 reps, using 60% of raw bench press. Use three different grips: 2 sets wide, 3 medium, and 3 close. After the dynamic bench sets, work up to the heaviest set of five you can do, using a close grip.(Dynamic Bench Day, Designed to improve explosiveness and lockout strength)
Chin-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

Day 2
Front Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Day 3
Squat 3x5 (Max Effort Day working with 5 rep max)
Bench press 3x5 (Max Effort Day working with 5 rep max)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Week B
Day 1
Pause Squat 3x5 (Box squat without the box to increase hamstring & hip flexors, designed to fix issues coming out of the hole. 15-20KG less than Squat max)
Press 3x5
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure, unweighted

Day 2
Bench press
Perform 8 sets of 3 reps, using 60% of raw bench press. Use three different grips: 2 sets wide, 3 medium, and 3 close. After the dynamic bench sets, work up to the heaviest set of five you can do, using a close grip.
(Dynamic Bench Day, Designed to improve explosiveness and lockout strength)
Power clean 5x3

Day 3
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Pull-ups: 3 sets, weight added so failure occurs at 5 to 7 reps

The Bench alternates between Dynamic and Max every other session. I was stalling and now I am making progress but do you think I should stick with the â??It is working why change itâ?? approach or will people be saying â??Do the 5/3/1â?????

(Also I was toying with adding in a floor press to address weaknesses on bench. That would be pause squats for assisting Squats and Dynamic Bench and Floor Press to help with Bench?)

As you can tell whilst I am not new to training I am new to making a training plan!

Have you deloaded lately? Are you eating enough? Those two things could be the fix to your problem. If the program is working for you, keep at it, look at why it may no longer be working for you before you switch to something new.

Thanks for the reply.

No it is working I guess my question is could I do something better or is there any glaring problems with it?

(currently on a deload week btw)

Looks fine to me, and if the lifts are going up, I don't believe in messing with it. You know how your body should progress better then we do. If the progress stops, then re-evaluate. There isn't any one program that makes or breaks you. All and all it looks fine to me, though I'd possibly add in some more hamstring work and rotator work for prehab.

Cool, thanks for the reply.

What additioans would you make?

Also which is best for increasing strength and carry over to bench press.

Swiss Bar vs Barbell Military Press??

I have a dodgy right shoulder (arthritis the nurse said, pah I said lol) if that has any reference to the choice.

Swiss bar is going to be easier on your shoulder most likely and depending on where you grip it is likely to be more tricep dominant which usually has more carry over to bench if you're lacking tricep strength. As far as hamstring work RDL's and Goodmornings are always my choice. If you're looking for something non-back-loading then go with hamstring curls.