T Nation

Please Critique my Routine

I am a long time reader of this forum, good stuff and stories here.

I used to train 3x/week full body for about 2 years consistently, but since I love going to the gym I changed my routine. I am doing now the following 3 days on 1 day off:

Chest - Back:
pullup
db bench press
decl pushup
1-arm row
flyes
db shrug

legs - abs:
sgl leg squat
st.leg deadlift
leg press
leg curl
1-leg calf raise
bench leg raise
hanging leg raise

shoulders - arms:
chinup
bar dips
preacher curl
tricep push down
seated military press
incl. front raise
lateral raise

I do 3 sets each, staying in the 8 rep range. My goal is to build muscle. Nutrition is 40% carbs, 30% fat & protein.
I leave the gym feeling I got some more in the tank but don’t want to over train.
Anything you guys would change?
Thanks for your feedback.

Why no bilateral squats? Biggest builder there is. Single leg squats load only the one leg and don’t really strain the spine and upper back. The flush of GH - and the effects therefrom - comes from challenging the whole system. Single leg squats won’t necessarily do that, whereas bilateral squats will. Single leg squats have a place in a program as a re-balancing movement if one side is lagging, but are not so useful as a main exercise - in my opinion.

I agree with you, but I had my back messed up while rowing back in the days. Single legged seemed safer in my situation.

[quote]panina wrote:
I agree with you, but I had my back messed up while rowing back in the days. Single legged seemed safer in my situation.[/quote]

That’s an important detail when requesting a critique. Folks will want to know why you’re doing what you’re doing.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:

[quote]panina wrote:
I agree with you, but I had my back messed up while rowing back in the days. Single legged seemed safer in my situation.[/quote]

That’s an important detail when requesting a critique. Folks will want to know why you’re doing what you’re doing.[/quote]

Agreed list all injuries, age, diet and do you work 90 hours a week.

I am 41, diet is clean, my macros as mentioned above. It is mainly a vegetarian diet, just more convenient for me, I don’t really like to cook. I work from home so I am flexible with my time.
No other injuries other than the back. I used to have back pain but since I started working out it disappeared.

Hope I covered everything, thanks guys! :slight_smile: