Please Critique My Routine

Deadlifts plus Bent BARbell rows might be a bit much on the lower back area…id consider subing in pullups…Just one hobo’s opinion

you’re doing traps the session after back.

bad idea. Keep the 3 way split.

[quote]jb413 wrote:
Alquemist wrote:
jb413 wrote:
Jesus christ, what is the obsession with bodypart splits here!?! By weakguys own admission, he’s weak! Dude, do a full body compound split 3 or 4 times a week,
hit the basic movements:
Presses (flat, incline+overhead)
Rows
Pull ups
Deadlifts
Squats
Lunges

Choose 3/4 of them each session and focus on building up some basic strength!
Sod anything that even resembles an isolation movement for now!
Oh, and eat like a fucking house!

Fuck you. What doi you know about bodybuilding?

I hate you, So many people like you say “do fullbody like Chad Waterbury and DON’T train arms to get them huge!” and end up looking alike shit.

YOU TRAIN LIKE BODYUBILDER IF YOU WANST TO LOOK LIKE THEM! Why do you knot understand thiss=? Why must all you stupids ‘strength sport oly,mpic players’ and those who care nothing or have ever built hguge arms recommend tbt as if that is the best for someone?

Fuck you again i hate you. You want to ruion his bodybuilding? do you? If the answer is yes then leave us. If the answer is no, and i hope this is the answer, and then shut up until you biold the muscle and learn from those who are huge.

Just don’t talk. You make beginners make mistakes, and end up weak/fat/no muscle/13"arms. Who wants that? Do you? Do you?

I am done-.

Lol i’m not advocating Chad Waterbury, far from it. I’m saying THIS dude, who started the thread, by his own admission, is weak. Therefore building up a base of strength with a regular frequency of compound exercises will be better for him in the short run, before moving on to a more traditional split.

I’m not even saying don’t train arms! I’m saying for NOW, maybe training arms is of lesser importance while the guy builds up his strength!

As you say, ‘Train like a bodybuilder to look like one’, well, i think you’ll find almost ALL bodybuilders started up going heavy on the compounds before building up to splits with more isolation work. Just because they train how they do now does NOT mean they have always trained that way. Plus heck anyway, throw into the equation the genes these guys possess and the 'roids there taking; then actually, training like them is not appropriate at all!
[/quote]

I agree. I did curls for 2 years and still had small biceps. They are growning now that Im doing big heavy rows, chinups, squats and deads. I say focus on the basics now until you can squat 1.5 bodyweight for a 1rm. Then you can start focusing on the arms if they are still laging behind. Im no expert tho, but I recommend Starting Strength. You will get the best bang for the buck.

[quote]elano wrote:
jb413 wrote:
Alquemist wrote:
jb413 wrote:
Jesus christ, what is the obsession with bodypart splits here!?! By weakguys own admission, he’s weak! Dude, do a full body compound split 3 or 4 times a week,
hit the basic movements:
Presses (flat, incline+overhead)
Rows
Pull ups
Deadlifts
Squats
Lunges

Choose 3/4 of them each session and focus on building up some basic strength!
Sod anything that even resembles an isolation movement for now!
Oh, and eat like a fucking house!

Fuck you. What doi you know about bodybuilding?

I hate you, So many people like you say “do fullbody like Chad Waterbury and DON’T train arms to get them huge!” and end up looking alike shit.

YOU TRAIN LIKE BODYUBILDER IF YOU WANST TO LOOK LIKE THEM! Why do you knot understand thiss=? Why must all you stupids ‘strength sport oly,mpic players’ and those who care nothing or have ever built hguge arms recommend tbt as if that is the best for someone?

Fuck you again i hate you. You want to ruion his bodybuilding? do you? If the answer is yes then leave us. If the answer is no, and i hope this is the answer, and then shut up until you biold the muscle and learn from those who are huge.

Just don’t talk. You make beginners make mistakes, and end up weak/fat/no muscle/13"arms. Who wants that? Do you? Do you?

I am done-.

Lol i’m not advocating Chad Waterbury, far from it. I’m saying THIS dude, who started the thread, by his own admission, is weak. Therefore building up a base of strength with a regular frequency of compound exercises will be better for him in the short run, before moving on to a more traditional split.

I’m not even saying don’t train arms! I’m saying for NOW, maybe training arms is of lesser importance while the guy builds up his strength!

As you say, ‘Train like a bodybuilder to look like one’, well, i think you’ll find almost ALL bodybuilders started up going heavy on the compounds before building up to splits with more isolation work. Just because they train how they do now does NOT mean they have always trained that way. Plus heck anyway, throw into the equation the genes these guys possess and the 'roids there taking; then actually, training like them is not appropriate at all!

I agree. I did curls for 2 years and still had small biceps. They are growning now that Im doing big heavy rows, chinups, squats and deads. I say focus on the basics now until you can squat 1.5 bodyweight for a 1rm. Then you can start focusing on the arms if they are still laging behind. Im no expert tho, but I recommend Starting Strength. You will get the best bang for the buck.[/quote]

No one is saying not to do heavy rows, chins, squats, and deads or any exercise for that matter, just that adding curls will be fucking beneficial. This fucking pathetic.

first rule of lifting, do not, under any circumstance, listen to austin bicep.

second, follow this routine…

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

plyo, circuit training, sprinting, olympic lifting

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

4 x 12 on every exercise using heaviest weights possible… meaning on the fourth set you probably wont be able to finish it.

follow this for 2 weeks and watch your lifts go up considerably.

follow this for one month…

improvements in body composition, strength, and ego

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

4 x 12 on every exercise using heaviest weights possible… meaning on the fourth set you probably wont be able to finish it.

improvements in body composition, strength, and ego[/quote]

Why in the holy hell should someone interested in bodybuilding do plyometrics and sprints the day after squats and the day before leg press?

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

Yup, you’ll end up “huge” like ZeusNathan… /sarcasm

Op, I suggested one max set per exercise also due to the frequency of that split, you may need another rest day if you do 2 max sets… But seriously, joining a gym should be your first priority here.
When you do, you can perform the suggested routine (honestly, either join a gym or get yourself a rack and such for a home-gym…)

And the guys who said it were right, floor deads+bent-over rows in the same session aren’t the greatest idea… drop the bent-overs and do one arm db rows, then maybe pull-ups or chins.

If you use the split I suggested (once you join a gym), then you can do trap work after back imo, you’ll see how that goes. The rack deads should work your traps plenty… I already commented on that in my post above, anyway.

Good luck with your training, whatever you decide to do. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional help or have general questions.

(Do you know of any seasoned lifters who could teach you how to squat, bench and deadlift properly? That’ll save you a lot of possible future trouble… Think powerlifters with some experience…)

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

Circuit training? Are you kidding me?

Olympic lifting without someone to teach you the olympic lifts ?

Fucking Push-ups ?

Whatever, I guess someone as “experienced” as you would know best…

[quote]mwyatt wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

Why in the holy hell should someone interested in bodybuilding do plyometrics and sprints the day after squats and the day before leg press?
[/quote]

Because our “bb-veteran” ZeusNathan has read that somewhere ?

I think I’m not far off the truth there, to be honest :wink:

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

I have to respectfully disagree, There is NO reason someone intrested in bodybuilding would benefit from plyometrics and this is WAY to nervous system intensive for a newbie. Furthermore, you should not train olympic lifts in the hypertrophy rep range, that is reckless and they are NOT a hypertrophy movement. I would have to say this is really BAD advice.

How can you responsibly instruct a newbie to even attempt olympic lifts without the proper coaching. For this person’s goals his proposed program comes closer to something that would work than what you are suggesting and other than a few minor adjustments in exercise order it looked descent.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:

monday

squats
bench press
pull ups

tuesday

wednesday

seated rows
db chest press
leg press

thursday

(see tuesday)

friday

deadlifts
lat pulldowns
pushups

saturday

olympic lifts

sunday

rest or arms

I have to respectfully disagree, There is NO reason someone intrested in bodybuilding would benefit from plyometrics and this is WAY to nervous system intensive for a newbie. Furthermore, you should not train olympic lifts in the hypertrophy rep range, that is reckless and they are NOT a hypertrophy movement. I would have to say this is really BAD advice.

How can you responsibly instruct a newbie to even attempt olympic lifts without the proper coaching. For this person’s goals his proposed program comes closer to something that would work than what you are suggesting and other than a few minor adjustments in exercise order it looked descent. [/quote]

Ah… There are other people with common sense around.
Thank you.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: I don’t usually comment on people’s training. I think to really have a good program you should be able to meet and assess them before you set something up (as a PICP I use structural balance as an assesment tool) but, no offense Zeus, that program was SO bad and potentially dangerous, I had to say something.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

[/quote]

First of all I don’t enjoy calling people out, but I’ll call you out pussy. I’m bigger and stronger than you. I have read in your own posts before that you neglect training chest at times and unfortunately you’re a PT and probably hurting your clients more than helping them. You’re a pathetic wimp who deosn’t train seriously and has his head up his ass when it comes to giving advices.

I’m ot making assumptions either, instead I’m summarizing most of your posting history. You’re a weak newb. I’ve been twice as successful as you bodybuilding and strength training and I’m a few years younger than you as well.

How about you keep your mouth shut and let the big boys talk, and I’m not eveing talking about myself per say, but guys like Ceph who have a decade of experience behind em. You my friend are useless when it comes to giving out sound advice as demonstrated in that nonbodybuilding program yet in your eyes bodybuilding program that you set up. The OP wants to get big and he does not need O lifts to do that.

dang, i really wrote that? im impressed since i was fuckin hammered last night.

and austin, give it a rest. u big bad boy u.

what i can tell u is that the last thing a newbie should be doing is fucking bicep curls.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

what i can tell u is that the last thing a newbie should be doing is fucking bicep curls. [/quote]

lol, the last thing they should be doing is olympic lifts…no harm done with one bicep isolation excersize done once per week

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

what i can tell u is that the last thing a newbie should be doing is fucking bicep curls. [/quote]

exactly, do them after your rows and chins.

and yes, I know you didn’t mean it that way.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

Erm… why teh fcuk?

If theys wnat the big bicep… they train the curling. Tell to me one big one who the curling doesn’t do them. I tell you now there is none. You want big arms? Do them.

And don’t strat with the “but rows plus chins do them goos”. They DO’NT. Why shouldnt a nerwb do back PLUSS BICEPs ? Tell me.

I recently visited the gym were some German drug-free Benching Champion (Udo Krumbholz, 47 or 46 years young) trains.

Those guys do tons of heavy rowing and benching, and guess what. Krumbholz is the only one with arms over 16… Maybe 17 at best.

Edit: Ok, so perhaps 17 and a half… But sure as hell nothing special. He’s also the one who seems to be doing the most direct arm-work… The others don’t do much if any.

I’ll leave it to you people to figure out the take-home-message.

And I suppose we can take ZeusNathan’s lack of meaningful responses as giving up.

the op, whos named weak guy, mentioned that he wants to get stronger.

you cant equate gaining strength with utilizing simple isolation exercises… such as bicep curls (for beginners). am i opposed to curling? nah, but the op specifically stated that hes weak and needed some critiquing on his aforementioned routine.

however, like zephead mentioned, if the op is doing his rows and chins, curls could and would be supplemental. kinda hypocritical. but in conclusion, do your compounds before isolation.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

the op, whos named weak guy, mentioned that he wants to get stronger.

you cant equate gaining strength with utilizing simple isolation exercises… such as bicep curls (for beginners). am i opposed to curling? nah, but the op specifically stated that hes weak and needed some critiquing on his aforementioned routine.

however, like zephead mentioned, if the op is doing his rows and chins, curls could and would be supplemental. kinda hypocritical. but in conclusion, do your compounds before isolation.
[/quote]

nobody said any different