Please Critique My Program

hey guys, ive been training about 3 years currently taking in about 3000 or 3500 calories a day, im a full time college student, 19 years old, have made my way from 164 up to about 185 in the past weeks. just want a little advice from you guys on my training, im making good gains but id like to know what you guys think.

mon-chest- 3X Flat Bench, 2X Flat negatives, 1X of speed bench, 3X incline dumbells with a good squeeze at the top of every rep

Tues-Back- 3X pullups, 4X Tbar rows, 4X Bent Over barbell rows, 4X chainsaws, 3X lat pulldowns just as a cooldown nothing major

Wed-4X deadlifts, 2X powercleans, 2X Hang cleans, 4X squats, 1x burnout set of squats, then as a cooldown 2X of leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises

Thurs- 4X standing barbell press(front and back), 3X seated dumbell shoulder presses, Side lateral raises 3 to 4 sets
sometimes some shrugs

Fri- 3 to 4 sets of close grip bench, 3 to 4 sets of dips, 3 to 4 sets of straight bar skull crushers, standing barbell curls, hammer curls, and 21’s

all of my reps on the exercises i do stay between 3 and 10, i keep the reps fairly low and the weight fairly high on the big core lifts i rarely go over 6 reps

on various days i throw in some grip work, like hanging from the chinup bar for as long as possible for 3 sets, or holding a heavy ass weight as long as i can,

thanks for any help guys and sorry for the long ass post

Eat more.

[quote]Sliver wrote:
Eat more.[/quote]

What he said, plus try to eat more. Oh, and get more food.

well thanks guys but my diet is pretty much under control i mean not perfect but im gaining mass and strength, my question was just basically did my training look ok

[quote]pure_country wrote:
hey guys, ive been training about 3 years currently taking in about 3000 or 3500 calories a day, im a full time college student, 19 years old, have made my way from 164 up to about 185 in the past weeks. just want a little advice from you guys on my training, im making good gains but id like to know what you guys think.

mon-chest- 3X Flat Bench, 2X Flat negatives, 1X of speed bench, 3X incline dumbells with a good squeeze at the top of every rep

Tues-Back- 3X pullups, 4X Tbar rows, 4X Bent Over barbell rows, 4X chainsaws, 3X lat pulldowns just as a cooldown nothing major

Wed-4X deadlifts, 2X powercleans, 2X Hang cleans, 4X squats, 1x burnout set of squats, then as a cooldown 2X of leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises

Thurs- 4X standing barbell press(front and back), 3X seated dumbell shoulder presses, Side lateral raises 3 to 4 sets
sometimes some shrugs

Fri- 3 to 4 sets of close grip bench, 3 to 4 sets of dips, 3 to 4 sets of straight bar skull crushers, standing barbell curls, hammer curls, and 21’s

all of my reps on the exercises i do stay between 3 and 10, i keep the reps fairly low and the weight fairly high on the big core lifts i rarely go over 6 reps

on various days i throw in some grip work, like hanging from the chinup bar for as long as possible for 3 sets, or holding a heavy ass weight as long as i can,

thanks for any help guys and sorry for the long ass post[/quote]

I dont know what they teach you out there in Kentucky but if you have read this site at all your program wouldnt look like that. Stop trying to be your own personal trainer and use a program on this site designed by a pro.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
pure_country wrote:

sometimes some shrugs

I dont know what they teach you out there in Kentucky but if you have read this site at all your program wouldnt look like that. Stop trying to be your own personal trainer and use a program on this site designed by a pro. [/quote]

…Or find the sweet spot in your training. Most of the vets on here haven’t changed their training programs in several years, yet make more progress than most of the sheep minded fan boys. All the trainers in the world can’t do shit for a terrible work ethic.

As for the OP, I would recommend eating more. You’re lean and look like you like to keep it that way. My best advice would be to add 3 40 gram whey shakes to your diet spread throughout the day. Don’t fret over good fats like peanut butter, and taper your carbs off towards the end of the day.

sometimes some shrugs

thanks for any help guys and sorry for the long ass post[/quote]

Your program doesn’t look bad. You may want to combine your shoulders and chest day so that you can hit the heavy weight on bench, or spread them further apart.

ok guys thanks for everything, someone said im trying to be my own personal trainer? how do you figure? everyone here says to stick to the big lifts right? thats what im trying to do and i am making GOOD progress, i have gained 20 pounds since my pics in my profile, i was just wanting some advice on maybe some exercises that dont look like there any good or maybe some new things to try out,

ok guys thanks for everything, someone said im trying to be my own personal trainer? how do you figure? everyone here says to stick to the big lifts right? thats what im trying to do and i am making GOOD progress, i have gained 20 pounds since my pics in my profile, i was just wanting some advice on maybe some exercises that dont look like there any good or maybe some new things to try out,[/quote]

Yes, stick to the big lifts. I suggest breaking up your squat and deadlift to separate days. Good luck!!

[quote]BiggerRob wrote:
pure_country wrote:
ok guys thanks for everything, someone said im trying to be my own personal trainer? how do you figure? everyone here says to stick to the big lifts right? thats what im trying to do and i am making GOOD progress, i have gained 20 pounds since my pics in my profile, i was just wanting some advice on maybe some exercises that dont look like there any good or maybe some new things to try out,

Yes, stick to the big lifts. I suggest breaking up your squat and deadlift to separate days. Good luck!!
[/quote]

thanks, the reason i squat and deadlift on the same day is because i really dont have time to focus on those big lifts except on wednesday because of my class schedule, and actually ive began to enjoy doing these lifts on the same day, do you think this is hurting my gains in any way?

He’s a 185 pounds and he’s eating 3500 calories. Why would he eat more, it seems everyone on this site always says eat more as the answer to everything. Unless he has an EXTREMELY high metabolism he should be fine for now.

He does about every big lift there is and is putting on good weight. The only thing I would change is hit major muscle groups twice instead of once a week, you’re young you should be able to handle it.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
pure_country wrote:

sometimes some shrugs

I dont know what they teach you out there in Kentucky but if you have read this site at all your program wouldnt look like that. Stop trying to be your own personal trainer and use a program on this site designed by a pro. [/quote]

OMG. Hes using a split. You totally can never make any progress on a split routine.

Wow. Thats great advice you gave. Did you read the rest of his post at all? Did you notice the part where hes been making gains with his current program? Why would he drop it entirely for something that hes not entirely sure about?

I hate to tell you this, but if you look around these forums, most of the people making the most progress are the ones lifting on their own routines. Hes lifting heavy and hes lifting hard. Hes making progress. I think what he was asking was maybe if there was anything that he had underlooked or if it looked like a balanced program.

Are you one of those “I am 6 foot 4 and I went from 135 to 145 lbs in 10 months on (insert popular trainer’s program here). If you dont do it, then youre wasting your time.” people?

Btw, usually statements like the one you posted occur when someone (typically a newb) is trying to frankenstein a program together from several others or drastically changing a program and still saying he is using that program.

well guys i sure want to say thanks for all the support, one reason i was asking about my program is that i am a full time college student and my semester is over this week so i will be going back home.

Since i have been on this program for a while do you think i should change it up somehow? maybe go to 3 days a week and concentrate even harder on the big lifts, my main goal for the next 3 months is to put on as much quality mass as possible and gain as much strength as possible, if there is any suggestions for helping me with a program i would be very thankful and i am open to all criticism and suggestions

[quote]GreenTerror79 wrote:
He’s a 185 pounds and he’s eating 3500 calories. Why would he eat more, it seems everyone on this site always says eat more as the answer to everything. Unless he has an EXTREMELY high metabolism he should be fine for now.

He does about every big lift there is and is putting on good weight. The only thing I would change is hit major muscle groups twice instead of once a week, you’re young you should be able to handle it.[/quote]

hey man this sounds like a good idea for summer, i shouldnt be too busy since i will be out of school and unlike most people i dont give a fuck about getting lean or seeing abs this summer i just want to put on some quality size and strength. How would i go about hitting each muscle group 2 times a week and still keep my big lifts in there? thanks for all the help