Please Critique My Keto Diet

As the title says. Im desperate to lose fat and lean out but have always found it difficult

Me:
30 years old
5ft 7
83kg - 183lbs roughly
Estimated 22-25% bodyfat (no calipers and im being generous with the figure)

Im a general gym goer, not athlete but i play football (soccer) occassionally but competetively. I want to maintain strength and muscle but main goal is fatloss/to be leaner

Heres my average day monday to saturday

Meal 1- 2-3 egg, 2 rashers bacon omellette cooked with butter
Meal 2- 6-7 small chicken wings or salamli salad or protein shake (low carb)
Meal 3- chicken and veggies or protein shake or more chicken wings
Meal 4- sometimes i have 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter to satisfy craving about 1 hour before bed.

I will also have a protein shake with bcaa’s post workout. My workouts vary with regards to time of the day, i prefer to train in the morning but sometimes i have to train in the evening if my shifts work out that way

Sundays

Cereal or peanut butter on toast or oats
Meat,veggies with roast potatoes (typical english sunday dinner)
Fish and rice or potato and tuna
Carb snacks and a cheat meal

I have had to tone the intensity down when working out due to having boughts of reactive hypoglycemia after training so i generally do one or two strength exercises followed by 30 mins fast walking on the threadmill with a high incline, throwing the odd sprint in every 5-7 mins

Depending on how this goes i will throw in complexes and up the intensity in the future.

I done a week with mostly protein shakes and an odd meal of eggs and salami (after readings thibs’ beast evolves) and lost 2.5kg but i know i cant do that constantly

Any comments or suggestions welcome

[quote]adrenalinx wrote:
As the title says. Im desperate to lose fat and lean out but have always found it difficult

Me:
30 years old
5ft 7
83kg - 183lbs roughly
Estimated 22-25% bodyfat (no calipers and im being generous with the figure)

Im a general gym goer, not athlete but i play football (soccer) occassionally but competetively. I want to maintain strength and muscle but main goal is fatloss/to be leaner

Heres my average day monday to saturday

Meal 1- 2-3 egg, 2 rashers bacon omellette cooked with butter
Meal 2- 6-7 small chicken wings or salamli salad or protein shake (low carb)
Meal 3- chicken and veggies or protein shake or more chicken wings
Meal 4- sometimes i have 2 teaspoons natural peanut butter to satisfy craving about 1 hour before bed.

I will also have a protein shake with bcaa’s post workout. My workouts vary with regards to time of the day, i prefer to train in the morning but sometimes i have to train in the evening if my shifts work out that way

Sundays

Cereal or peanut butter on toast or oats
Meat,veggies with roast potatoes (typical english sunday dinner)
Fish and rice or potato and tuna
Carb snacks and a cheat meal

I have had to tone the intensity down when working out due to having boughts of reactive hypoglycemia after training so i generally do one or two strength exercises followed by 30 mins fast walking on the threadmill with a high incline, throwing the odd sprint in every 5-7 mins

Depending on how this goes i will throw in complexes and up the intensity in the future.

I done a week with mostly protein shakes and an odd meal of eggs and salami (after readings thibs’ beast evolves) and lost 2.5kg but i know i cant do that constantly

Any comments or suggestions welcome[/quote]

If it were me (and I’m a nobody) I would focus more on the weight training than the cardio. Weight training and adding muscle does so much more for body comp and various health markers than cardio ever could. I’m not saying not to do some longer bouts of cardio but I would mix it up. For example, one day do a 30-45 min cardio session (not real hard, but not too easy either). Another day hit it hard on an elliptical or something for 10 min, or better yet, Tabata protocol on an elliptical works great. On yet another day do kettle bell swings. At my gym, the heaviest kb is almost 80 pounds. I do sets of whatever until I reach 100 reps. The rest varies between 30-60 seconds. Trust me, you will not want to do anything else. Plus you get the added benefit of working your rear chain. Also, there are a bunch of articles on complexes here. Read those. I don’t know how much you have been working out or how often, but adding a ton of cardio will kill your muscle and ultimately make you fatter, percentage wise.

Weight training wise, I like to follow the velocity diet workout posted on the site when I’m cutting. It’s great.

Ps read up on the paleo diet articles on this site, especially by Nate Miyaki. Guy knows what he’s talking about.
Good luck

i looked at the velocity diet workout yesterday and because i have no set routine at the moment i may give it a go and do only cardio on other days.

thanks for your reply but what do you think of the diet?

You cannot know for certain if you are in ketosis unless you measure your ketone body levels. Do that first. If they are below .5 mM then you might be eating too much protein. That would be my only critique of your diet that I can see right off hand.

Most amino acids are glucogenic and can disrupt ketosis.

Fat needs to be the primary fuel source of ketosis. This means your body’s own fat or dietary fats - not carbohydrate or protein (though certain amino acids are ketogenic most of them are not).

Since you are just starting out with this I am assuming, eat more fat at first and gradually reduce it as weight loss begins to slow down. Psychologically, it is much easier to restrict calories this way - at least, that was my experience.

Thanks mate, ive recently added more fat but not sure if its a good thing.

My lips are so dry, my mouth is slightly sore and i have one or two spots that have come up around my lips. I have been drinking non stop and moisturizing my lips all day for the past too days. Constantly thirsty.

Apart from that i feel ok. I might have a tiny orange or apple to see if that helps with the dryness

[quote]adrenalinx wrote:
Thanks mate, ive recently added more fat but not sure if its a good thing.

My lips are so dry, my mouth is slightly sore and i have one or two spots that have come up around my lips. I have been drinking non stop and moisturizing my lips all day for the past too days. Constantly thirsty.

Apart from that i feel ok. I might have a tiny orange or apple to see if that helps with the dryness[/quote]

Every molecule of glucose will come with 3 molecules of H20. You won’t be retaining water on a ketogenic diet so you need to drink more water and also add more salt to your diet.

Our kidneys don’t seem to hold onto salt when carbohydrates are not eaten which could also mess with your hydration status.

Just FYI, OP, be careful listening to LIFTICUS up there–this could turn into a situation of the blind leading the blind.

As a general observation, your current diet looks like very little food. And if you’re seriously so affected by your hypoglycemia that you can’t do strength exercises for more than a half an hour at a time, then you should probably consult a doctor before going on any structured diet.

There’s a poster named “Chris Colluci” who frequently evaluates threads like this, and he might be someone worth PMing for you.

bit worried about the diet next week. Going away on a 3 day course for work and gonna find it hard to live off hotel/petrol garage food as the facilities arent great. Will probably just take some cold meats but its difficult keeping things cold and heating things up.

The course is physical aswell so will need extra food and maybe even some carbs which i dont want until the weekend.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Just FYI, OP, be careful listening to LIFTICUS up there–this could turn into a situation of the blind leading the blind.

As a general observation, your current diet looks like very little food. And if you’re seriously so affected by your hypoglycemia that you can’t do strength exercises for more than a half an hour at a time, then you should probably consult a doctor before going on any structured diet.

There’s a poster named “Chris Colluci” who frequently evaluates threads like this, and he might be someone worth PMing for you.[/quote]

I didnt realise you wrote this message while i was typing mine. I can lift for more than half hour at a time, i find alot of my problem is with cardio (high intensity) also when combining high intensity lifting with hard cardio. It just burns me out and as i have been trying to lose fat for sometime im constantly cutting calories.
The hypoglycemia has been under control since either adding carbs after a workout or lowering the intensity.

I may send him a pm mentioning that you have referred me