Please Critique MY Diet

brief info about me…
weight: 170 lbs
Program: starting BNF on friday

Here is my bulking diet and supps…please read and advise…

Meal 1
-Multivitamin
-1 serving greens+ daily detox
-3 eggs
–sliced Janes’ oven roasted chicken breasts
–omega 3 margarine
–mozzarella
–tobasco sauce & Salsa
-whole wheat pita bread
-2 cups of whole milk
Cal:857, fat:39.5g, carbs:67.5g, protein:54.5g

Meal 2
-shake
–1 scoop whey
–1 cup skim milk
–1 packet instant oatmeal
-cheddar sandwich w/ whole wheat toast
-1 vitamin B complex tab
Cal:675, fat:10.5g, carbs:88g, protein:55g

Meal 3
-1 cup Stagg Chili
-1 whole wheat pita
-2 caps fish oil
Cal:512, fat:20g, carbs:64g, protein:23g

Preworkout
-shake
–1 scoop of whey
–1 banana
–1 cup skim milk
–1 teaspoon instant coffee
–1 teaspoon of honey
Cal:317, fat:2g, carbs:43g, protein:31g

Mid-Post Workout
-shake
–2 scoops whey
–2 cups skim milk
–1 banana
–1 teaspoon cinnamon
–1 tablespoon peanutbutter
–2 tablespoons honey
–1 cup fruit flavoured yogurt
–5g creatine
–5g glutamine
-2x500 mg vitamin C tabs
Cal:980, fat:13g, carbs:125g, protein:68g

Meal 6 (Post-workout meal, 30 mins later)
-meat/chicken/fish (~25g protein)
-fruits & veggies
-whatever is being cooked at home (rice, pasta…)
Cal:~400, fat:8, carbs:50g, protein:32g

45 mins later
-3 caps ZMA

30 mins later
Meal 7
-shake
–1 scoop matrix 5.0 protein powder
–1 cup skim milk
–7 halves walnut
–.5 cup cottage cheese
Cal:378, fat:12g, carbs:20g, protein:47g

Total Calories: approx. 4120
fat: approx. 105g 23%
carbs: approx. 460g 45%
protein: approx. 310g 32%

Throughout the day, I’ll be drinking lots of water, muching on veggies, and taking digestive enzymes when needed.

One last thing, I want to know when should I take Spike before my workout (at night 6ish)? or in the morning? or some other time?

Thanks for taking the time to read, any feedback appreciated.

where are the veggies. my clients will eat 500-1000g per day in addition to 2-4 servings of greens+. you only list veggies once (other than the salsa) and fruit twice. your diet will be lacking in the soluable fiber found in fruits, this is the type associated with the majority of health benefits.

the point is, try to replace some of the carbs with fruit. this will allow you to skip the vitamin pills and you can knock back some more fish oil, the other two oils you may want to consider are borage and CLA.

calories seem to taper off in the day even though you train late

experiment with Spike use, you will know when it will be best for you

proteins, Surge during workout, Metabolic Drive before bed, there are at least 6 alternatives to Metabolic Drive, the one you listed is not one of them (7 if you include Poliquin’s brand)

It’s hard to say whether this is appropriate because you havn’t told us what you have been eating before this new regime. At a guess, I’d say that you’re increasing the calories too quickly. It would be more beneficial for your body composition if you reached the 4120 total calories over a period of weeks or even months, depending on your current diet, instead of switching to it straight away.

For your PWO shake, honey isn’t as high GI as you’d think, so consider something else more effective at spiking insulin. Also, the fat in the peanut butter will retard protein synthesis. However, at least you got the main point down : you’re getting something in your system during/after the workout.

Just out of curiosity, if you’re 16, where are you getting the time to prepare all this?

Good luck with it,

-Cloth

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
where are the veggies. my clients will eat 500-1000g per day in addition to 2-4 servings of greens+. you only list veggies once (other than the salsa) and fruit twice. your diet will be lacking in the soluable fiber found in fruits, this is the type associated with the majority of health benefits.

the point is, try to replace some of the carbs with fruit. this will allow you to skip the vitamin pills and you can knock back some more fish oil, the other two oils you may want to consider are borage and CLA.

calories seem to taper off in the day even though you train late

experiment with Spike use, you will know when it will be best for you

proteins, Surge during workout, Metabolic Drive before bed, there are at least 6 alternatives to Metabolic Drive, the one you listed is not one of them (7 if you include Poliquin’s brand)[/quote]

Ok thanks for your input, I will be eating lots of veggies throughout the day…just have a bowl infront of me when I’m using the computer or something. I also forgot to add that I’ll be adding a few CLA pills throughout the day.
Since the protein I’m using isn’t good, could you tell me the 7 alternatives to MD??

[quote]Cloth wrote:

It’s hard to say whether this is appropriate because you havn’t told us what you have been eating before this new regime. At a guess, I’d say that you’re increasing the calories too quickly. It would be more beneficial for your body composition if you reached the 4120 total calories over a period of weeks or even months, depending on your current diet, instead of switching to it straight away.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, sorry I forgot to say that I ate a lot before but it just came from bad food, so this is my diet after I made it cleaner.

[quote]
For your PWO shake, honey isn’t as high GI as you’d think, so consider something else more effective at spiking insulin. Also, the fat in the peanut butter will retard protein synthesis. However, at least you got the main point down : you’re getting something in your system during/after the workout.[/quote]
So your saying I should take the honey and pb out and put 30-40 grams of dextrose or table sugar instead??

[quote]
Just out of curiosity, if you’re 16, where are you getting the time to prepare all this?

Good luck with it,

-Cloth[/quote]

The only thing that takes some time is the 1st meal. I wake up half an hour earlier to make it.
The Chili is out of a can…all I do is heat it.
The post workout meal is whatever is already cooked at home.
Everything else is shakes. :slight_smile:

I don’t see how a 16 year old can be advanced enough to try BNF. How long have you been training and what are your current lifts (big 3)?

Hello again,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply.

You asked [quote]

So your saying I should take the honey and pb out and put 30-40 grams of dextrose or table sugar instead??
[/quote]

If you have no financial issues with getting dextrose, then that is optimal. I’ve been told that home brew outlets sell dextrose for a much cheaper price but I haven’t checked on this myself. As for table sugar, my biology notes would guess that it’s not quite as effective (table sugar is sucrose which needs to be broken down a bit further, whereas dextrose is glucose and needs no further processing.)

Either way, either will be more effective than honey.

I would also agree with taking the peanut butter out. You’ll notice that although many people on this site are crazy about peanut butter, they don’t often include it post workout. I suggest that in looking for peanut butter, you get one which develops liquid at the top, as it contains a healthier type of fat. You should never lose sight of your health, it is the most important thing.

On a final note, I agree with OneEye when he questions your readiness for BNF. Or rather, whether it is the most appropriate program for you. Something more simple such as BBB would probably be a better choice. However, that’s not important : your diet as it stands is quite solid, and as long as you go hard at any program you should see good gains.

Good luck,

-Cloth