T Nation

Please Critique My BJJ Sample Training Program

I am just starting out in BJJ I have no experience. I am a avid strength trainer i usually train 5-6x a week soley in the weight room. I want to continue to train so i dont lose strength or much size, but want to add some combat to my weekly training. i wrote this program based off your book about modern strength and power methods.

This is just the intensification block as this is my next training block. The program is broken into three full body days one concentric one eccentric and one for speed. You mentioned in your book that isometric training should be used sparingly for 6-8 weeks at a time so i replaced with a speed day because i didn’t know if it would help.

Please take a look at what i’ve made and let me know if it looks good or what you would do different. I can upload the other two phases if you would like. Also can you address the use of isometric training, your book made it seem like something to do only if i am plateaued

Sunday BJJ

Monday concentric

Main lift 3 sets to a heavy double
Zercher squat 3x2
Shoulder press 3x2
Sumo deadlift 3x2

Accessories 2x failure each
Face pull
Towel pull ups
Push ups weighted

Tuesday BJJ

Wednesday Off

Thursday pure eccentrics
6x1 3-5 sec @110%
5x1 @ 120%
4x1 @ 130%

Front squat
Rdl
Bench

Split squats 2x10
Hip thrust 2x10
Dip 2x10
Hip adductor and abductor

Friday BJJ

Saturday dynamic
Main lift all for speed
8x3 @ 70%
6x3 @ 72.5%
6x2 @ 75%
Front squat
Pendlay row
bench press

Single arm row 2x10

prone I’s Y’s T’s 10-15 of each
Farmers walks 2-3x 20 yards for weight

Several wrong things jump to my face.

1. I don’t like to have an eccentric session the day prior sports practice

2. Too much assistance work, (especially on thursday) especially for an athlete. Most of the athletes I work with use 3 main lifts and one assistance exercise per session. Sometimes adding 1-2 very minor movements.

3. Using eccentric overloads wth a preparatory phase of slow eccentrics is a mistake.

4. 130% on an eccentric is too heavy for most, especially if you have not been prepared for them

I honestly don’t really like it at all

i appreciate the feedback. thanks for responding.

1. I have been doing slow eccentrics for 4 weeks now accumulating volume building up to this. These are not supposed to be slow eccentrics closer to the 2-3 sec side pure lowering ( i know i said 3-5). Would you throw away eccentrics completely in this program? If so should I ever program them?

2. I’m coming from a powerbuilding mentality with this which is why the accessories are most likely too high. Looking at the main lifts of each day how would you do it. (rough sketch not asking for a program.

This is updated based off what we’ve discussed so far
Sunday BJJ

Monday

Main lift 3 sets to a heavy double
Zercher squat 3x2
Shoulder press 3x2
Towel pull ups 3x2

Accessories 3x8
45 deg hyper
Tuesday BJJ and weak links

Wednesday Off

Thursday

Main lift
Front squat 3x5
Bench press 3x5
Sumo deadlift 3x2

Accessory
low row 3x8

Friday BJJ & weak links

Saturday dynamic speed trainig

8x3 @ 70%
6x3 @ 72.5%
6x2 @ 75%
Front squat
Pendlay row
bench press

Accessory
Power wheel hamstring curl 3x10

Is your focus on BJJ?

This looks like the program of a a weightlifter that is doing BJJ for conditioning.

Is that what you are going for?

Check out Phil Daru’s training for mma/grappling etc.

1 Like

Somewhat, I am brand new to the sport but have been lifting weights for about a decade. I have a very solid strength and muscle foundation that I am content with. I’m looking to maintain strength and size while doing bjj. I will compete at some point but it wont be until i am proficient at the basics.

I am a hard gainer and a quick loser so i am cautious about dropping too much volume.