Please Comment on Squat Technique

Here is one of my sets today. Please comment. I feel like I see things I need to work on, but I’d like to hear other peoples input too.

Try keeping head up higher, bar a little lower on your traps.
Try “sitting back” into it more.

your butt came up a bit too early; that can lead to injury.

i agree with rock27’s comment about “sitting back” more.

also, push your elbows and chest up/forward…this will help your body stay straight throughout.

and i’m not sure if it was like this b/c you were videotaping…but you wre holding the weight on your back for a long time before executing the lift…

get the bar off your neck, sit back more on the heels, push knees out, once the bar is lower, pull down on it like the bottom of a lat pull and that will tighten the back and expand the chest

Like the other dudes said, place the bar a little lower on your traps and keep your weight back. Nice job and keep up the good work.

1)I’ve tried putting the bar lower on my back, but that feels funny. I guess I should just get use to it.
2)I thought I was “sitting back” because of me pushing my glutes back. How would I learn to do this better? I do box squats, but I guess I do not know how to sit back when doing a free squat.
3)I agree that it took me a long time to do the lift. I don’t know why. How much will this affect my strength when standing there for a while?

Thanks for the help.

one way to help sitting back is to do close stance as an accessory…don’t sit back and you fall over if you still hit depth…turn toes out some and push knees out and all these will help sitting back more…also, don’t just start with the hips, stay back through the whole lift

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
one way to help sitting back is to do close stance as an accessory…don’t sit back and you fall over if you still hit depth…turn toes out some and push knees out and all these will help sitting back more…also, don’t just start with the hips, stay back through the whole lift[/quote]

I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but this raises a question for me. When I watched his video, 2 things really stuck out for me (it wasn’t the only two, but these were my first, immediate reactions):

1. damn, that bar’s too high
  2. damn, that’s a wide stance.

What’s the impact of a narrower stance? When I squat, my feet are a bit more than a foot apart (roughly the same placement you’d use for rows or deadlifts…the knurled inner edge of the oly bar over the insides of my feet).

I’ve never seen anyone squat with a stance that wide unless they’re trying to go ass-to-grass. Are different muscles recruited with a wide vs. a narrow stance?

Just wondering, because I’m curious as to whether my narrow stance has me missing out on something.

Yeah, the stance did look really really wide. SS has legs shoulder width apart. A wide stance allows more weight to be squatted although a narrow stance allows more stuff to happen.