T Nation

Please Comment on My Split

What do you think of this split?

I am 17, 15 % bodyfat, 5'10, and 165 pounds

My primary goal is to gain mass without too much fat.
I am on a 2800 cal (off day diet) and 3000 kcal (training day diet).

ps. This program changes exercises every three weeks in order to avoid stalling (its a 12 week program)

Please give me some feedback or maybe suggest a better approach/ program?

So....1st day: chest/tri/bi's/and lats
2nd day:quads, hamstrings,lats,abs,traps
3rd day:ches/tri/bi's/delts/lats
4th day:calves/abs/lower back/quads/hams

seems sort of a random arrangement. you hit lats 3 sessions in a row.

Why don't you just do a true bodypart split?
something like chest/tri, back/bi, legs/calves, traps/shoulders ?

I'm not big by any means so take my advice with a grain of salt, but you just seem to have everything jumbled together. also, unless you have a slow metabolism, 3000 cals isn't a whole lot.

At 17 you should be able to progress on full body routines 3 times per week. You could vary this over 2 workouts, e.g. week 1 A-B-A; week 2 B-A-B, etc. You seem switched on regarding the big compounds, e.g. squat, deadlift, dips, chins, etc. I wouldn't over-complicate things with elaborate splits unless you are extremely active outside the gym.

Please stop making 'splits' and go train.

I already put up a decent split in your other thread.

You don't need to change exercises every 3 weeks, you change an exercise when you are unable to keep getting stronger on it.

alright. So At 17 I would make more progress on a total body training rather than on a split? When do you think I should addopt splits then? I can dedicate up to 4 days of training per week.

How does this full body split look?

A:

Squat 5 x 5
DeadLift 5 x 5
Some type of Bench Press 5 x 5
Some compound rowing movement 5 x 5
Seated Shoulder Press 5 x 5
Bicep Curl 5 x 8
Dips 5 x 8
Weighed Crunches 5 x 15

B:

Squats 5 x 10
Deadlift 5 x 10
Some type of Bench Press 5 x 10
Some compound rowing movement 5 x 10
Seated Shoulder press 5 x 10
Isolation exercise 1 5 x 10
Isolation exercise 2 5 x 10
Hyper Extensions 5 x 15

C (if there is one would be similar)

Problem thhough, I have been lifting for a year, but haven't put on too much because I over did in my workouts (too much volume).

I have always had a Lower/ Upper split or full body routines.

I heard that split routines are better for mass. Is it true?

Goodfellow,

I can't spend 5 days at the gym though. And everything I log on this website I read something that outdates the knowledge I have.

you could do a three day split, a four day split, three day full body or four day full body. it really doesnt matter... most people like to hit each muscle group twice a week though. if 4 days a week are available to you i would suggest going with the traditional BB'ers split (hitting each muscle group twice a week).

You said that you over did the last year of training. In my opinion, this plan is WAY too much volume. I really like the principles of the 5/3/1 program because it presents a workout that has you emphasizing the core lifts (squat, DL, bench, overhead press) followed by 2-3 exercises that are used to support everything else. You may want to look into that program for guidance.

As a side note, I know that EVERYONE is told this when they begin training (I was) and that you most likely won't listen, but you need to stick to compound movements for now. Isolation isn't of any great importance yet. You need to learn how to train before you can learn how to be a top notch bodybuilder.

When I started training, I did curls and skull crushers and the like for arms. Six months later, I had minimal results, so I dropped them and started to work up to heavy weighted dips and chin-ups, and now my arms are much bigger, and my strength in other lifts went up as well. Plus, having a few 45 pound plates between your legs and doing chins makes you feel like a true "badass."

Hit up CC's How do you train thread... he's got all sorts of splits listed for various members. Most of the splits are listed in the middle-to-latter part of the thread, but you should definitely be able to find one which suits your needs (3-6 days per week). Either do that or visit Iron Addicts -> Beginners -> Beginners Routine to get a split or follow Wendler's 531 or BBB.

Also, look into the Best of T-Nation thread for some very valuable info from experienced members. Whatever you do just pick one split, stick with it, and get progressively stronger on the exercises over months to years. Make small adjustments over time only when you are not getting stronger on a particular exercise.

EDIT: props to the mods for moving this to the beginners forum. :b

[u]THIS IS JUST PURE FUCKING IGNORANCE![/u].

Look. I was the same as you. I WASTED 2 years because I kept having my knowledged 'outdated' (seriously?).

Here is the deal: Training programs ARE NOT like Technology. It doesn't get better, it doesn't 'update' itself. The same thing that works now worked 60+ years ago, it will not change.

YOU need to pick exercises for a body-part. Train them and get strong on them. It doesn't matter if you do fullbody or splits, BUT PICK SOMETHING AND STICK TO IT.

You need to stick to something long enough (AT LEAST A YEAR) until you LEARN HOW TO TRAIN.

Also, you are 17, what are you doing that is so time constraining where you can't train 5x a week?

School consumes my time like crazy. I have about of 2 hours of free time per day (free time = homework time + workout time). So it is kind of tight on the schedule.

Anyway, I picked the DC thing from Nate green's article.
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_50_pounds_of_muscle_in_12_months

I will stick to this for at least 6 months and see how it goes.

Day 1- Chest/Biceps
Dumbbell bench press/barbell bench press
DB incline bench press/incline barbell benchpress
Crossovers
Pull-ups
Ez bar curls/Preacher curls/hammer curls

Day 2- Shoulders/Triceps
DB lateral raise
Military press
lat raise (machine)
Close grip bench press
skull crushers
reverse tricep push downs

Day 3- Back/Lower Back
Deadlifts
Rows

Day4 - Legs/Abs
Squats, box squats, front squats
planks
cable crunches
Sit ups w/reistance

Day 5- Rest
Start over

I'm no guru at making programs, but that's what I do. It works for me

NO ABSOLUTELY NOT(see blufinga's avatar above)! that is not for beginners! Seriously... its a good template but do not train that style. use the base of the template and do like 3x8's or whatever. DC is for experienced lifters ONLY

x2 on this ^^^

One year lifting experience isn't typically enough to prime you for DC. It takes more than drive and enthusiasm - you really need to develop mind muscle connection. Additionally, you should probably make sure that you're completely done growing. I know that's not what you want to hear but I think that's the best advice there is to make you grow.