T Nation

Please Check My Deadlift Form

formcheck

Hello, I would like my form to be checked since I have been recently feeling a lot of tightness in my lower back. The weight is 155 lbs.

Wheres the vid?

Yeah man, there’s no video. The easiest way is uploading something to Youtube and posting the link.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention @Chris_Colucci & @duketheslaya, I fixed the post.

Gotcha.

First and foremost, you’re lowering the bar primarily with your upper body/letting the low back do the work. So no wonder your low back feels tight. It’s working a ton on the negative.

You’re also raising your hips way too early and doing most of the work like a stiff-leg dead. Add in that your head is down most of the time and (it’s a bad angle to judge) I don’t think you ever locked your hips out by contracting your glutes, and you’re all kinds of messed up, man.

There are tons of articles that address deadlift form, but if there’s one cue I think you should focus on it’s “Chest up.” Work on keeping your chest high for as long as possible, starting from the moment you step up to the bar before you even grab it.

This will/should help to fix everything from raising the hips too soon (because if the chest is aimed high while the hips go up, everything goes up) to the lockout (keep the chest all the way up while standing upright means the shoulders come back and the glutes come forward).

Even keeping the “chest up” while lowering the weight… I get the idea of sort of dropping the deadlift, because we don’t want to emphasize the negative there, but keeping the chest up/shoulders back while guiding the bar down should remind you to bend at the knees first, not bend at the hips to lower the weight.

Your weight is on your toes. Get the bar closer to your shins and your knees back a bit at the start (I’m assuming you need to do this given how the bar and your body is moving as the plates cover you - so take with a grain of salt.)

Basically, you really need to work on the starting position.

Need better views probably like a high side angle so the plates don’t obscure half the things and a front-ish view. Lot more to see that way e.g. grip width etc. so you get more/better feedback.

Right off the bat those shoes may be pretty but you’re probably better off deadlifting in something with a hard, low, flat sole or in socks/barefoot.

Is their any reason you are lifting slow and taking your time on both the concentric (lifting) and eccentric (lowering)?

Noted. The reason the video is so low is because I recorded myself using my own phone which was set at an angle against my water bottle. In the future I will find someone to record me lifting and I will lift with no sole shoes.

I thought it necessary to take my time lifting because I am in the process of fixing my deadlift form. I am aware that the deadlift must be performed rapidly, but I would like to focus on speed after I fix the critical errors the previous posters before you have identified in my form, e.g. keeping my chest up and getting the bar closer to my shins. I hope that answers your question about my lifting speed.