T Nation

Please Bash My Fat Loss Plan

Bash what’s bad and let me know what sounds good please.

Weight: 210 (some left over muscle from training 5 years ago)
Height: 5’ 6"
Goal: Lose 40 pounds of fat as fast as possible
Nutrition plan:

Daily intake:
Calories: 2100
Protein: 315 (mostly baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts and canned tuna)
Carbs: 30g (Plus as much broccoli, cucumbers, celery, and lettuce as I want which I won’t count in my carb limit. Healthy carb-up of 0.75g of carbs per pound every 14 days)
Fat: 80 (mostly healthy fats like fish oil)

The only thing that will change on workout days is I will take Surge Recovery which has 4.5g fat, 49g carbs, and 33g protein which I will drink half a serving during the workout and the other half immediately after.

Training plan:

Weight train 3 to 4 days per week (I haven’t decided on a routine yet. Any suggestions are very welcomed.)

While I’m at it, does anyone have any creative ways to make baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts and canned tuna fish taste better and not so bland in taste and texture? This is where I like to get most of my protein from, but I get bored of them fast.

If anybody’s interested, I’ll post my progress regularly.

Thanks a lot.

Start a training log if you want. It may help you. It would be better than posting here, but it’s up to you.

Well first, I’d say why take all those sugars if you’re trying to do a keto diet? I understand carb timing quite well and I’d go with one or maybe two FINiBARs PRE-workout on 2 days per week instead (notice I said pre workout and not post). That’ll leave you time in between to get “keto” so you can continue to lose weight. or you can alternatively follow a carb cycling diet if you don’t need to lose weight as fast. This may be more manageable for you, but if you choose this, I’d still say go with FINiBARs over Surge. Surge is a perfectly fine product, and if you have it on hand take it, but I just think FINiBARs are better, especially if you take them with Receptormax. If you’re like most people, you should be taking something like Receptormax with your carbs (cinnamon + 4-hydroxyisoleucine + R-ALA… there are more things you could take as well, but the stuff in Receptormax is a pretty good formula).

Also, I think you’ll neeed to list a breakdown of the meals you plan. The macros look good, but I wonder if you have an idea of what those numbers look like in actual food. I hope you don’t take that as offense, i’m trying to help. Try this: calorieking.com you’ll need to get a food scale too. you can’t guestimate this stuff very well. trust me.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Start a training log if you want. It may help you. It would be better than posting here, but it’s up to you.

Well first, I’d say why take all those sugars if you’re trying to do a keto diet? I understand carb timing quite well and I’d go with one or maybe two FINiBARs PRE-workout on 2 days per week instead (notice I said pre workout and not post). That’ll leave you time in between to get “keto” so you can continue to lose weight. or you can alternatively follow a carb cycling diet if you don’t need to lose weight as fast. This may be more manageable for you, but if you choose this, I’d still say go with FINiBARs over Surge. Surge is a perfectly fine product, and if you have it on hand take it, but I just think FINiBARs are better, especially if you take them with Receptormax. If you’re like most people, you should be taking something like Receptormax with your carbs (cinnamon + 4-hydroxyisoleucine + R-ALA… there are more things you could take as well, but the stuff in Receptormax is a pretty good formula).[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. What about the absorption rate of a bar vs. a drink? Also, what should I do about during- and post-workout nutrition?

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:
Also, I think you’ll neeed to list a breakdown of the meals you plan. The macros look good, but I wonder if you have an idea of what those numbers look like in actual food. I hope you don’t take that as offense, i’m trying to help. Try this: calorieking.com you’ll need to get a food scale too. you can’t guestimate this stuff very well. trust me.[/quote]

I have plenty of experience with food logs and scales. I used to bodybuild on a very consistent basis and used a scale along with fitday.com. That was . . . until I met my wife. I quit training and spent almost every waking minute with her and started eating crappy. Thus, the massive fat gain. So, it’s time to get back on the program.

If you have any suggestions of tasty sources of lean protein, I’m all ears.

[quote]Carpaccio wrote:
Bash what’s bad and let me know what sounds good please.

Weight: 210 (some left over muscle from training 5 years ago)
Height: 5’ 6"
Goal: Lose 40 pounds of fat as fast as possible
Nutrition plan:

Daily intake:
Calories: 2100
Protein: 315 (mostly baked boneless, skinless chicken breasts and canned tuna)
Carbs: 30g (Plus as much broccoli, cucumbers, celery, and lettuce as I want which I won’t count in my carb limit. Healthy carb-up of 0.75g of carbs per pound every 14 days)
Fat: 80 (mostly healthy fats like fish oil)

[/quote]

Nutrition looks alright, but dude, don’t lose fat AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. If You lose more than 1 - 2 lbs per week after the initial 2 weeks of your diet, you’re probably sacrificing muscle.

I know everyone says you need a caloric defeceit, but they never say how big it should be.

I think you would get the best results from 150 cals below your BMR. and every 2 weeks, lower it another 150 and adjust as necessary.

And i have many Recipe’s so PM me for some.

Sounds like a solid plan. If you’re really trying to do a crash diet, you could probably cut a few more grams of fat (keep the fish oil), but the diet would get increasingly boring.

I wouldn’t do too much high intensity cardio with such low carbs, your muscles will fall off.

[quote]EasyRhino wrote:
Sounds like a solid plan. If you’re really trying to do a crash diet, you could probably cut a few more grams of fat (keep the fish oil), but the diet would get increasingly boring.

I wouldn’t do too much high intensity cardio with such low carbs, your muscles will fall off.[/quote]

Thanks for your input and your advice.

I dropped about 50+ lbs of fat last year (took approximately 7-8 months of solid training), so I can relate to where you’re at.

I used a low-carb approach - I modeled my diet using the ‘TnT Diet’ book. I would start with a full month of as close to no-carbs (besides non-starchy veggies) as possible. After this 30 days is up, you can transition into a cyclical keto or re-integrate clean carbs and do a carb cycling diet, etc. The first 30 days was incredibly effective for me for fat loss, especially since I was coming off a fairly unclean diet.

DIET: When calculating calories, you can actually eat more calories and continue to lose fat while you’re low-carbing (i.e. 2800 cals instead of 2100). Keto is naturally muscle-sparring - you are consuming an enormous protein and shouldn’t worry about losing excessive amounts of muscle. I wouldn’t worry about calories for the first 30 days in fact, I would eat as much boneless, skinless chicken and veggies as you want - you will probably need to focus on eating enough rather than too much. No one gets fat off of chicken and veggies, so just get eat every 3 hours. Make sure you have healthy fats - 80g of fat/day is not enough. I would have 2 servings of almonds per day(not more than 2 because of carbs), and cook with olive/sesame oil and take 10 fish oil caps/day. If this doesn’t work after 2 weeks then you can plan your cals.

TRAINING: You will temporarily have less strength in the gym because of the absence of carbs, don’t stress out about this. If you’re goal is fat loss, I would switch to 3 or 4 days a week in the gym, switch to full body workouts using 1 barbell complex + 3 tri-sets (3 exercises focusing on unrelated muscle groups) with 60-90 secs of rest per set, 3 min transitions between circuits. I would follow this with 20 mins of low/medium intensity steady state cardio on the tread/eliptical. I would do 15-21 mins of HIIT cardio off-days, if desired. I would start with 1 min high/2 mins med/low intensity. This gives you a 3 min sprint/rest cycle, do 5-7 of these cycles. Whats the point of this kind of training? You’re focusing on EPOC (exercise post-oxygen consumption) - you’re turning your metabolism up for the next 24-48 hours. This allows you burn more fat while you’re not in the gym, but provides stimulation to the muscle tissue to prevent unnecessary amounts of catabolism.

I did lose a bit of strength/mass while dieting - it came back within 6 weeks of training. In fact, within 2 months of training, after dieting, I was stronger, leaner and holding more mass than before. There’s a lot of opinionated dieters out there, but few have ever dropped a serious amount of fat successfully. This is what worked for me.

God bless ya - train hard.

If you’re doing a Keto approach, the TEF from the protien will also contribute to your calorie deficit which is a good thing.

Source of lean meat are pork loin, chicken breast (i like getting the frozen tenders cause you can just throw em in a pan), shrimp, white fishes like tilapia. Those are my main meats.

Your fat intake is way too low, and your protein intake is way too high. They need to be closer to each other in terms of overall calories. I am no expert, but from what I have read, your body is going to use whatever is most available to it for energy.

Since you are low carbing, you want your body to use fat for energy. This is NOT going to happen with 80g of fat/day and 315g of pro/day. Because of the excessively high amount of protein, your body is most likely going to convert the majority of it to glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis (I think) for use as energy. From what I understand, this pretty much has the same affect as eating carbs. Also from what I understand, this process cannot happen with fat. So, you will convert your excess protein to glucose, but if you up the fats, you can prevent that from happening.

What you want to do is split your calories between fat and protein at 50/50, then maybe adjust from there as you begin to lean out, adding some more protein and dropping some fat. So you want 2100 cals/day, then I would start with something that looks more like this:

Carbs - 30g/day - 120 cals

That leaves you with (2100-120)cals = 1980 cals to split between fat and protein. (1980/2)= 990 cals.

So, 990 cals from fat, 990 cals from protein.

Fat (9 cals/g) - (990/9) = 110g/day
Protein (4 cals/g)- (990/4) = 247.5g/day

This leaves you with the 2100 cals/day you want, and a better ratio of fat/protein. If you want, read up on CT’s “Refined Physique Transformation”, he explains this a little better.

BTW, I have been low carbing for 8 weeks now, so I am still learning myself. I am by no means an expert on the subject, but I have read a lot of articles and studies on it.