Playstation 4 Announced

What’s the starting price? I’m guessing $999.

Yeah I imagine it’ll definitely be on the higher end when it comes to pricing, it’s been a while since any other truly serious consoles have released, unless Microsoft unveil plans for a new Xbox I don’t see them lowering to anything more reasonable, they just don’t have even a glimmer of competition in the market right now.

No way it’s a grand, no way. My guess is $550-$600 for a bundle package.

Did anyone see the killzone preview? Does it look good?

Also video game discussions are usually in the Geek S**t threads.

Supposedly Xbox will be releasing their new consul around the same time.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Also video game discussions are usually in the Geek S**t threads.

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/geek_st_nia_pleaze_9[/quote]

Ah my apologies, I never realised, I suppose I should post about individual titles there in future.

No Killzone gameplay as of yet, just theatrics. However, it does look really, really good. Some people are saying the textures and over all design look like PS3 but with a little added polish and shine. But to me, looking at the character models, it looks like character design has come a long way from what it used to be, even in the last Killzone title. The skin and sweat reflection looks really good on the open faced soldiers and the movement mechanics are fluid and impressive. Here’s a video that shows it well for reference.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Not a fan of the game they showed at the end of the video, so I’ll post another they showed later on that I’m very intrigued by.

[/quote]

OOOOOOO BAMA!! Wow.

I’ll be definitely getting this fascinating game when it comes out.

I’m quite disappointed that the PS3 games won’t be compatible with the new console. That’s a big fucking shame.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Supposedly Xbox will be releasing their new consul around the same time.[/quote]

Ah I was unaware there’d been news surpassing just rumours, I’ve always been more closely tied to PlayStation, I guess mostly because I prefer the exclusives for my style of play and genre preferences. As a by-product I’m not surrounded all too often with news and interviews concerning the Xbox. My mistake. The pricing might waver slightly then, although I expect not until long past the opening month.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

No Killzone gameplay as of yet, just theatrics. However, it does look really, really good. Some people are saying the textures and over all design look like PS3 but with a little added polish and shine. But to me, looking at the character models, it looks like character design has come a long way from what it used to be, even in the last Killzone title. The skin and sweat reflection looks really good on the open faced soldiers and the movement mechanics are fluid and impressive. Here’s a video that shows it well for reference.

Wow. Mesmerising.

Now if only we could get ME4 on this platform… instead of releasing some useless DLCs, if only Bioware could start listening and give us a better story, something with a punch, to erase the bitter after-taste some of us got from last year’s abortion… if only…

Looks like a lot of their focus has been on small particle physics, they spent some time on that with the Unreal Engine footage and fixing some of the frame rate issues with multiple objects on screen. I appreciate that, I could imagine some impressive explosion-related dust dynamics.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

Not a fan of the game they showed at the end of the video, so I’ll post another they showed later on that I’m very intrigued by.

[/quote]

OOOOOOO BAMA!! Wow.

I’m quite disappointed that the PS3 games won’t be compatible with the new console. That’s a big fucking shame.

[/quote]

They will be.

When you pay for it. lol

You can play any game on PC with the right software to make it play. Its free as well.

As consoles become more advanced (in console terms), the price will go up and the options for supposed upgrades which will be shoved down your throat to “improve” gameplay.

People have always said PCs cost more and that they’re not multimedia centres like consoles. Oh my god if I had a penny.

STEAMBox will probably beat these consoles for multimedia AND games. Its a diet version of a PC but with console friendly controls.

Steam beats ALL other pretenders for game availability, price and ease of use. I cannot see Origin doing that or Microsoft/Sony.

PCs are better bang for your buck but are strangled by the lack of games, hopefully Steambox sorts it out.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[/quote]

OOOOOOO BAMA!! Wow.

[/quote]

They will be.

When you pay for it. lol

You can play any game on PC with the right software to make it play. Its free as well.

As consoles become more advanced (in console terms), the price will go up and the options for supposed upgrades which will be shoved down your throat to “improve” gameplay.

People have always said PCs cost more and that they’re not multimedia centres like consoles. Oh my god if I had a penny.

STEAMBox will probably beat these consoles for multimedia AND games. Its a diet version of a PC but with console friendly controls.

Steam beats ALL other pretenders for game availability, price and ease of use. I cannot see Origin doing that or Microsoft/Sony.

PCs are better bang for your buck but are strangled by the lack of games, hopefully Steambox sorts it out.[/quote]

Agreed, I’m especially a fan of how Steam is marketing games that don’t get the exposure big league developers like EA and Activision can get for their titles, regardless of how mundane another FIFA game would be right now.

Greenlight is an excellent feature and without it I wouldn’t see the creative development of half the ‘indie’ titles I have in recent months. I have some issues sometimes with the games being badly developed and how easy it is for early alpha games to get on there and diminish the praise they could have got had they waited for their beta.

[quote]DarkNinjaa wrote:

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

[/quote]

OOOOOOO BAMA!! Wow.

[/quote]

It looks incredible, I like vigilante games and I’m so glad somebody brainstormed up something that involves how ingrained technology has become and the overwhelming power you can have manipulating it.

Not a huge fan of the way he slows down time in order to interact with things and make pixel-perfect judgements. The ‘bullet-time’ thing looks way too easy to rely on, I prefer the challenge of having to adjust and act on the fly, even if the difficulty gets ramped significantly.

I like how there’s a very sparse amount of bullets in the gun by the HUD, barely a clip in his pistol. Makes me think they’ll stay true to how rare ammunition and how relentless the police would be for a guy like that, and not go all Grand Theft Auto on his abilities. Not to bash Grand Theft Auto… Vice City is my jam.

I don’t know about you guys but i’m perfectly happy with my PS3. Mine is only a couple of years old and I feel like I can get a least 2 or 3 more years out of it before looking into anything else. I’m sure Sony will still release plenty of PS3 games like they did with the PS2 for a long time after the PS3 came out.

I would wait a year to work out bugs

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
I don’t know about you guys but i’m perfectly happy with my PS3. Mine is only a couple of years old and I feel like I can get a least 2 or 3 more years out of it before looking into anything else. I’m sure Sony will still release plenty of PS3 games like they did with the PS2 for a long time after the PS3 came out.[/quote]

The PS3 still holds up of course, I largely wasn’t expecting a new console announcement any time soon because of the leap in ingenuity the PS3 took from the PS2. Bearing that in mind, video games hinge on having a dominating playability over their competition and the quicker they can take hold of that, the more they will appeal to a mass populace of gamers.

If an interactive media related business can stay one step ahead of a rival business they’ll control an expansive section of the market and be able to thrive as an enterprise exponentially quicker than their less fortunate counterparts, which as a result gives them an advantage in staying ahead until the other side has a stroke of genius or something unique to offer. The pacing is different between video games and game consoles, but both are accurate forms of the business model.

Phones work in much the same way, if Apple can maintain their lead in popularity and creativity and try to stunt Android or Microsoft software for as long as they can get away with, then they’ll do that. One of the best ways to do that is release a new product with fixed usability criticisms of the previous model on a consistent basis, both as a new and exciting variation and also to further the number of products to choose from, so they take up a larger fraction of the vendible produce.

Somewhat unrelated but Simon Sinek has a great TED speech about how to use creativity as a primary marketing scheme, great insight if you’re into that sort of thing.

I would have replied a lot sooner but my bastard internet hung up and I had to restart my computer an ungodly amount of times to get it working again.

/Rant. Lulz.

Brb selling my own body to raise funds for this.

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

They will be.

When you pay for it. lol

PCs are better bang for your buck but are strangled by the lack of games, hopefully Steambox sorts it out.[/quote]

I haven’t always been a console gamer. I started with PC. Then came Gear of Wars 2, Halo 2, Mass Effect. So I had to reluctantly cheat. I agree, that the graphics are not the same as you’d get with a powerful graphic card, but the good thing is I no longer have to deal with bugs or the occasional troubleshooting or spend money on upgrading hardware.

I’ve built my gaming PC and it is specially reserved for war games such as COD and BF and some MMOs. The last pc game I played was Dishonoured and I got it from Steam but I like playing on my Xbox and PS3 more these days. I’m pretty excited about the forthcoming PS4. I’ve never been a big fan of Origin, so I’ll be interested in to seeing how well the Steambox fare before considering giving it a shot.

[quote]Big Kahuna wrote:

It looks incredible, I like vigilante games and I’m so glad somebody brainstormed up something that involves how ingrained technology has become and the overwhelming power you can have manipulating it.

Not a huge fan of the way he slows down time in order to interact with things and make pixel-perfect judgements. The ‘bullet-time’ thing looks way too easy to rely on, I prefer the challenge of having to adjust and act on the fly, even if the difficulty gets ramped significantly.

I like how there’s a very sparse amount of bullets in the gun by the HUD, barely a clip in his pistol. Makes me think they’ll stay true to how rare ammunition and how relentless the police would be for a guy like that, and not go all Grand Theft Auto on his abilities. Not to bash Grand Theft Auto… Vice City is my jam.[/quote]

The game just looks crazy. Definitely getting AC+GTA vibe there. The hud actually reminds me a bit of the one in AC2. Was checking out this demo and was blown away with the concept.

Graphics are not as crisp as in the PS4 vid you posted above but I was still impressed. The showdown at the end is fucking badass. The only bad thing I can point is that the car handling looks a bit cumbersome, one of the few things that irk me in video gaming.

IMO the PS4 is catching up to the Xbox 360 with this new console. Xbox’s online already has at least half of these features the PS4 will be getting and I believe the Xbox is more user friendly. The PSN is trash compared to Xbox Live and before anyone says but it’s free, $60 a year for Xbox Live is nothing. If you cant afford that you shouldn’t be buying video games in the first place. Whatever Microsoft comes out with for their next console, I believe it will be far superior than the PS4 in many ways. That is just me though. I have had both a PS3 and Xbox 360, I actually sold my PS3 once and then bought another one for Socom 4, which turned out to be complete shit. Xbox 360 is my favorite. I am really curious about the new Xbox.